Books With Exotic Adventures

Please recommend some titles. Am especially interested in the period between the late 1800s and mid 1900s, when the world was still big and mysterious, but travel and communication were beginning to make it smaller. I'm open to fiction, non-fiction, literary, pulp, anything in between, as long as it's good. Obvious examples of the kind of stuff I'm seeking would include Stanley and Livingstone, Heyerdahl's "Kon-Tiki," "Heart of Darkness," etc.

Beyond exotic adventure, I'm also interested in stories from this period set in exotic locales that aren't exactly adventures. Somerset Maugham's short stories set in Malaysia and the South Pacific come to mind.

Thanks in advance.

Emilio Salgari is your man. Most of his series (including my favourite, The Black Corsair) have sadly not been entirely translated into English, however you should be able to find all of his Sandokan books on Amazon - they tell of noble, swashbuckling pirates vs. imperialism in India, all with such luscious, feel-like-you're-there description you'd never believe poor Emilio never set a foot out of Italy.

Here's an author for you - H Rider Haggard. He wrote loads of adventure stories, mostly set in Africa. Check out the Allan Quartermain books, starting with King Solomon's Mines; also the Ayesha novels, starting with She.

Another one to try might be Anthony Hope. The Prisoner of Zenda (the first Ruritania book) is set in a semi-exotic locale. Swashbuckling adventure ahoy!

Edited by Kell