Recommendations please?

Another couple of books which go back and forth in time are Kate Morton's books The House At Riverton and The Forgotten Garden. Although they are not crime stories I enjoyed them.

Three come to mind: The Darwin Conspiracy by John Darnton (on my wishlist):

Darwin's theories have been under attack since he first published The Origin of Species in 1859, but this grandly ambitious novel goes a few steps further to intimate that he was a fraud—and a murderer. Told by turns from three perspectives, the story opens in the present on a volcanic outcrop off the coast of Ecuador where Hugh Kellem, a British field researcher, while tracing Darwin's research path, meets Beth Dulcimer, a beautiful scientist rumored to be distantly related to Darwin. A quick shift shows an ambitious young Darwin about to embark on the Beagle. A little further on, Darwin's youngest daughter, Lizzie, enters via her journal entries, written in the 1870s, decades after Darwin's famous five-year voyage. As the three perspectives unfold, Hugh and Beth find themselves trying to solve the same mystery that intrigued Lizzie 130 years earlier: what happened on the "nuit de feu," the night that transformed the confident, robust Darwin into a haunted near-invalid for his remaining years? Stilted dialogue, perfunctory romance and expendable subplots make for a rough voyage, but Darnton (Neanderthal) puts real passion into his historical imaginings and recreations: the revelation of the "true" origin of the theory of evolution is particularly inspired and more than enough to sustain another Darntonian bestseller.

And Labyrinth by Kate Mosse

Mosse's page-turner takes readers on another quest for the Holy Grail, this time with two closely linked female protagonists born 800 years apart. In 2005, Alice Tanner stumbles into a hidden cave while on an archeological dig in southwest France. Her discovery—two skeletons and a labyrinth pattern engraved on the wall and on a ring—triggers visions of the past and propels her into a dangerous race against those who want the mystery of the cave for themselves. Ala

Hello everyone,

Can anyone recommend any good historical murder mystery books set in either England or America up to around 300 years ago?

I have not long read Tess Gerritsen's The Bone Garden and loved the way it went back and forth from present day to the 1800's.

Any suggestions?

:blush:

• 3 weeks later...

If you still want to find a book that goes from the past to the present you might like 'Endymion spring' By Matthew Skelton.

It's about a book that was magically sealed hundreds of years ago(if i recall correctly it was the 15th century), and can only be opened when the book tastes worthy blood. Then in oxford, modern day, a boy is browsing through a library when his finger is pricked on a book, and events unfold from there.

i would reccomend you give it a try! :blush: