I need a book with good descriptions of the ocean

I've read Jules Verne's A Journey To The Centre Of The Earth and absolutely loved the descriptions of the underground ocean and the way the voyage was depicted.

I need to read more descriptions of oceans and sea voyages mostly for a selfish desire. I have several chapters in my book which take place on the seas. Being aquaphobic, I've never stepped on a boat in my entire life and I don't want to think about the possibility. I'm trying my best to read up on sea travel and on aquatic life, to an extant, but I'll admit that I have other things keeping me busy. So I realised that since A Journey was the inspiration for the voyage scene in my own book, I have a lot to learn from other classics regarding sea travel.

On my TBR I have Moby Dick and Treasure Island. I'm trying to space out similar books, meaning I don't want to read these two side-by-side.

I've just finished The Wizard Of Oz so I'm ready for something serious. I have issues with reading classics but I hope to resolve this soon.

For now, I'd appreciate it if someone helped me choose between these two solely for the descriptive part of it.

I'm also open to other books and I would like it if someone pointed me to a good series that takes place on the seas. Robin Hobb springs to mind though I've never read her series.

I am reading The Scar - China Mieville and that takes part on the sea and describes a city built on the sea itself. Its a SF book really but well written and descriptive. The only other I have read recently which I am not sure whether to recommend or not is Flood - Stephen Baxter which is a sort of post apocalyptic (althought the apocalypse is created by the Flood) book of society and how it copes with world flooding.

On my TBR pile, Ocean Sea by Alessandro Baricco. Also I read Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor by Gabriel Garcia Marquez many many years ago and remember it was fabulous. I must reread it :D

I wasn't a fan of Baricco's Oceano Mare RW, but who knows, it might improve upon translation :D!

As for suggestions, the best descriptions - full stop, including a whole lot of oceans as he tended to write mainly about piratey types from around the globe - are in my humble opinion those of Emilio Salgari, who never stepped out of Italy in his life and yet could make you believe he must have sailed the seven seas personally, surely.

His best series by far is that of The Back Corsair, although sadly only the first book of five of the same name has ever been translated into English - a project for me, methinks. The Sandokan series however, is eleven books long, pretty much all of which have been translated into English I think. It starts with The Mystery of the Black Jungle.

You're welcome :D.

What about Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey & Maturin novels (Master and Commander was the first, I think). There are around 20 of those. I have only read Master and Commander so far, but really enjoyed it and intend reading the rest.

From Amazon: 'I never enjoyed a novel about the sea more. It is not only that the author describes the handling of a ship of 1800 with an accuracy that is as comprehensible as it is detailed, a remarkable feat in itself. Mr O'Brian's three chief characters are drawn with no less depth of sympathy than the vessels he describes, a rare achievement save in the greatest writers of this genre. It deserves the widest readership.' Irish Times

You might like The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger. The synopsis on Barnes and Noble.com was pretty short and to the point: A real-life thriller that leaves us with the taste of salt on our tongues and a terror of the deep.