Should the Vuvuzela be banned?

Vladd

Should the Vuvuzela be banned  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Vuvuzela be banned

• Yes: Nothing but an irritant to fans and players
    • No: A important part of the African Soccer culture

Those annoying horns that makes it sound like the match is being played in a bee hive, or an important part of the local football culture and we should not try to Europeanise the African world cup. What do you think?

Edited by Vladd

Although I happily and definitely respect cultural aspects of other nations, is it the South Africans that are tooting/blasting them at the matches?

Bee hive is spot on. I did find I was a certain kind of weary by the end of the match because of the constant aural assault. But ban them? Not sure that we should or could.

Although I happily and definitely respect cultural aspects of other nations, is it the South Africans that are tooting/blasting them at the matches?

Bee hive is spot on. I did find I was a certain kind of weary by the end of the match because of the constant aural assault. But ban them? Not sure that we should or could.

From wikipedia

The vuvuzela came to international attention during the run-up to the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup and 2010 FIFA World Cup, both hosted in South Africa. The world football governing body, FIFA, wanted to ban the use of vuvuzelas during the World Cup 2010 because of concerns that hooligans could use the instrument as a weapon and that businesses could place advertisements on vuvuzelas. However the South African Football Association (SAFA) made a presentation that vuvuzelas were essential for an authentic South African football experience

I would think the important thing is what the players think of them - apparently some have already complained, and I would think if it's affecting the game, then more thought should be given to banning them.

As a viewer, I do find them extremely annoying, and I'm very pleased I'm not in the middle of them in a stadium!

Yes! It's like sitting in a car full of bees in a traffic jam! I actually had to stop watching the match the other night because I had such a terrible headache from the constant blaring!

Then again, I'm all for banning ALL noise-makers at matches. Get shot of the whistles and drums and airhorns and crackers. What's wrong with cheering, singing and clapping? That's plenty loud enough!

I like it, it adds a certain exotic flavour to the matches, I kind of get used to it and the drone becomes one with the match for me :smile2: It is South African culture and we are watching a world cup in that country so I am happy for them, it beats sitting in England and constantly hearing **** off ref!!! or constant moaning. So I am happy to experience another football culture which is a lot more enjoyable and interesting than here.

Just had this in an e-mail from someone in South Africa:

anyone who’s o.k. with the vuvuzela is insane!! Very poor decision by FIFA to allow this stupid thing, don’t think they had any clue what they were letting themselves in for. Such a pity it’s just taken away the whole atmosphere of the games.

I'm not really watching the footie, so it's not really affected me so far.

Why anyone wants to spend the whole of a match blowing one of these things i can't imagine. I think if i was stood anywhere near one of them i'd be tempted to club them to death with it cultural heritage or not :D

Why anyone wants to spend the whole of a match blowing one of these things i can't imagine. I think if i was stood anywhere near one of them i'd be tempted to club them to death with it cultural heritage or not :D

Not quite in keeping with your Avatar now is it.

Got to question the mentality of anyone who'd pay good money to get into a football match and then spend the whole time blowing a plastic trumpet.

Or, indeed, anyone who'd pay good money to get into a Test match and spend eight hours chanting "Barmy Army, Barmy Army"...

Doesn't happen in croquet, I can tell you that.

Doesn't happen in croquet, I can tell you that.

Not the sober kind anyway! :D

I would have enjoyed hearing 'The Great Escape March' being played at the England Vs USA match the other evening.

Perhaps some vuvuzela teachers / players could be paid to get a proper tune happening from time to time. :D

According the the news FIFA won't ban them, unless they start throwing them on the pitch.

Could we pay someone to do that, please? :D

It is supposed to represent a traditional African instrument so FIFA feel it is important to the South African feel of the World Cup. They have made a version which is 20 decibels quiter though, so that might help a little.

I see they are flying off the shelves here in the UK under the name VU VU Horn, so expect to hear the sound of South African football coming from a stadium near you next season.