Will Self

Suzanne123

Yes, don't start with The Book of Dave, unless you want to tangle up your brain. I started with that one and haven't read any of his since because of it. I lent it to a couple of friends/family ... they've just about forgiven me, most of them abandoned it.

Hopefully someone else will have some recommendations, I'd be interested to know as well.

I've read most of his novels and I always find him a challenge. Dictionary on standby. I started with How the Dead Live, quickly folowed by Dorian.

Some of his tales are very grim, but very entertaining.

He's an acquired taste, some find him too poncey. But thus far, I've enjoyed his novels, but I prefer his non-fiction scribblings. :smile2:

• 1 year later...

He is heavy going I find. Unless you're a scrabble champ then you very well might grow tired of reaching for the dictionary.

His imagination is very surreal and twisted though. I found How The Dead Live to be rather brutal but very funny.

• 1 month later...

I've read several of his books (My Idea of Fun, Cock & Bull, The Quantity Theory of Insanity & Tough, Tough Toys for Tough, Tough Boys) and agree he can be a self-conscious writer and pretentious wordsmith at times. Some of his stories are a little "near the knuckle" and probably an acquired taste (you definitely have to be in the right mood), but he is very funny. One description that remains with me is that of a cat "smarming" itself around his legs. I accuse my cats of doing this constantly now! It's a perfect word to use for a cat's behaviour :P