World Cup 2010

Michelle

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heskey is a donkey, baffled most as to why he's even there at all never mind playing.

He hasnt scored for England for a hell of a long time

I can sort of see why they would want him, he's intimidating and aggressive. I wouldn't want to be up against him, players like that are there for mind games more so than goals.

I can sort of see why they would want him, he's intimidating and aggressive. I wouldn't want to be up against him, players like that are there for mind games more so than goals.

Most teams usually have a buly boy type but they are usually central midfielders or centre backs. To have one as a striker is stupid, a strikers job is to score goals..and he cant

I thought Rooney was striker. Either way, Heskey is doing a good job of getting in there and stirring things up. I think the big difference between the US team and the English team is that the English play more offensively where as the US plays more defensive. England isn't afraid to rush or tackle, IMO.

I'm horrified to discover my hubby intends to watch ALL the evening matches throughout the entire WOrld Cup. This means that I will have an entire month of headaches froem the constant blaring of those bl**dy horns that sound like a traffic jam. I like fottie as much as the next person, but the noise is doing my nut! I'm heading to bed in a minute coz my head is throbbing so much! :smile2:

Well what a disappointment. We just tailed off for the last 10-15 minutes of play, almost conceding the draw, resigned to it. And this is the one thing that really grates on my nerves. For every World Cup I can remember, for the last 20 minutes of a game, we stop playing football, and the passion is over, and we just pass the ball around the pitch wasting time.

It doesn't take more than a minute to set up a goal and then another 15 seconds to score it. So we should be putting everything we've got into it right until the whistle.

Rooney was the only player who truly shone at the end there for England.

Carragher needs to stop playing the ball back into the England half, and instead keep it moving in the opponent's half. This is dangerous for England's defense, and detrimental to our offense.

And Terry might have lost the armband, but he needs to start playing with the real passion that had it bestowed on him in the first place.

Bringing Crouch on for 7 minutes was a waste of time. He does have skill, but he needs time to get into it. If Crouch comes on as a sub, he needs at least 15 minutes gametime.

And I noticed that through both halves, we played prodominantly on one side of the pitch. We need to keep it busy and keep it moving.

At least we have a coach with passion this time around.

We can pull things back and still get through to at least the last couple of games, but we really need to play those last few minutes, rather than giving up. :smile2:

I'll concede that Abby. The US played bloody well, and have more than validated their right to be a part of the competition, alongside the greatest teams in the world.

I may be disappointed by certain events through the game (cough, Green, cough), but good match. I'll be watching your boys closely.

Heskey is a donkey, baffled most as to why he's even there at all never mind playing.

He hasnt scored for England for a hell of a long time

Heskey's won 60 international caps under four different coaches. Michael Owen once said he's the best strike partner he's ever played with.

You may be right, but that would mean four international coaches and one of England's best ever strikers are all wrong.

Heskey's won 60 international caps under four different coaches. Michael Owen once said he's the best strike partner he's ever played with.

You may be right, but that would mean four international coaches and one of England's best ever strikers are all wrong.

Indeed they are.

His job is to score goals, when was the last time he scored for England?

That's not Heskey's only job though is it, I thought he did as well as anybody and better than most, I would have preferred Defoe, and thought Crouchie should have been on a lot sooner but Heskey worked hard which was more than some did, I thought he linked up with Rooney well.

Sadly the keeper lost it for us, it wouldn't have been a sparkling performance anyway but that was a terrible goal to let in, bet he feels like **** today.

England are playing two strikers and as I type they take one donkey off for another 7ft donkey :smile2:

The 7ft donkey has scored 20 goals in 37 appearances (most of them as sub) .. he should've been on sooner, by the time he came on it was all over bar the groaning.

Edited by poppyshake

That's not his only job though is it, I thought he did as well as anybody and better than most, I would have preferred Defoe, and thought Crouchie should have been on a lot sooner but Heskey worked hard which was more than some did, I thought he linked up with Rooney well.

Sadly the keeper lost it for us, it wouldn't have been a sparkling performance anyway but that was a terrible goal to let in, bet he feels like **** today.

Its not his only job no buts its the most important aspect. Would you want a goalkeeper who let in goal after goal just because he was good at something else?

No me either

Also my comment on Crouch was a little tongue in cheek, I think he's a good player.

I also think I should point out at this juncture that I am not english

I didn't watch the whole game last night, but from what I saw, I'd have to agree with JCW. I've never been a fan of Heskey, he doesn't seem to have much vision on the pitch, from what I've seen of him he tends to end up on his backside way too often, and he's a bit of an ungainly lump of a player. Last night didn't seem to be much different to usual.

I should say that I don't watch a lot of football, only the big international tournaments and the odd game from La Liga, so I'm not exactly qualified to judge, but my personal and humble opinion is that Heskey shouldn't even be in the squad.

I saw the tail end of the first half and the whole of the second half, and the two players that impressed me most were Lennon and Johnson.

Indeed they are.

His job is to score goals, when was the last time he scored for England?

:smile2: I hope you're being ironic, rather than arrogant.

Picking the players who score the most goals is a great strategy for Fantasy Football. Beyond, perhaps, under-10s, it's not so useful in real football.

Heskey obviously has his merits, but there are countless numbers of people even professional footballers who think he's useless.

Even before the game last night Rooney was saying he preferred to play upfront alone, I wonder why.

You don't get to have a 15 year career as a Premier League professional if you're useless. It's as simple as that.

Ok i'm wrong then ;)

damn me for having an opinion

That makes you, me, my OH and Darren Gough wrong then, at least based on last nights performance anyway. (DG was in the stadium watching, tweeted that Heskey was having a shocker, unlike all the pundits and commentators on telly who kept saying Heskey was the best player on the night :smile2:)

That makes you, me, my OH and Darren Gough wrong then, at least based on last nights performance anyway. (DG was in the stadium watching, tweeted that Heskey was having a shocker, unlike all the pundits and commentators on telly who kept saying Heskey was the best player on the night :smile2:)

Obviously he has his fans and thats the reason he is still in the team.;)

Ok it's not grade A top grade analysis but every single professional footballer I have on twitter was calling for him to be taken off last night.

We had a striker similar to him at Swansea Adebayo Akinfenwa, very big very strong man, but to me he was just in the wrong position. I think Heskey would be much more useful playing a support role than an out and out striker inbetween the midfield and forwards and they would be better off having actual goalscorers upfront