Ken Kesey - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

sib

A ward in a mental institution is turned upside-down when the swaggering, gambling McMurphy arrives.

A battle ensues between him and 'the Big Nurse' as he tries to get the patients to take back control of their lives.

This is well worth reading. The metaphors Kesey uses to describe some scenes are spot on. It's funny, exhilarating and tragic by turns and is really well written.

8.5 out of 10

I read this a few years back. Actually, thinking back , I was still in school, so it'll have been about 12 or 13 years back now - woah! I loved it - & for those of you who have seen & loved the movie, the book leaves it trailing coz it's SO much better!

That's very true. I saw the film first & loved it - that was what drew me to the book, which I ended up loving even more. Speaking of which, i really should re-read that one - it's been a while!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Big Chief hiding behind his broom with wads of Juicy Fruit gum under his bed.

An amazing commentary on the time of electro-shock therapy and frontal lobotomy.

The whole "one man against the system" that was so common of books in that era (think M*A*S*H), this book had a profound impact on my life. My sole regret is that I've never seen the stage play.

Wonderfully written, colorful characters, sadness and liberation - a true Great Novel in my opinion.

My favorite book, 9/10 from me.

I read the book first then I saw the movie on TV and I couldn't watch it. I tuned in during the fishing trip scene and it was lacking so much I had to turn it off. That was the only scene I watched, but I am willing to judge the entire movie on it.

I also didn't like that Jack didn't have red hair (giving the impression of Irish decent and adding to his character), and the Indian wasn't as big as it says in the book. Seems like little things, but they are important when you read the book. I'm sure if I watched the whole movie I would have more to complain about, lol.

• 4 months later...

I finally got round to reading this book and absolutely loved it.

I thought McMurphy was a great character and I loved the changes he made to the ward; how the other patients began to change in their thinking and behavior in the ward.

I also enjoyed the 'battle' that went on throughout the book between McMurphy and Nurse Ratched. The ways in which these two characters tried to get the upper hand at every given moment really kept me gripped as it made me want to know what would happen next between these two.

The ending completely surprised me. It was as if Nurse ratched had finally beaten McMurphy and had won the battle. It was not until the end that I realised how much I liked McMurphy and wanted him to win.

I finally got round to reading this book and absolutely loved it.

Wear your badge proudly, Liz. You are now a member of an elite club.

Reading the book is quite a journey, the experience can stick with you for a lifetime. How Ken Kesey wrote the scenes with the delicate power shifts and their impact on the ward simply gives me the chills.

Personally, I sometimes think that this book is also a commentary on the rise of the Women's Movement when read in the context of it's publishing date. In my twisted version of reality, the perfect compliment to this movie is Frances, a movie about a strong-willed woman who gets put into an asylum with similar tragic results.

All the BS above ignored, I'm glad you got to read it - one of the best books ever.

Brilliant book. I read it back in 1977 and saw the movie around the same time. Great though the movie was, it cannot match the characterisation in the book. It was a touch of brilliance by Kesey to have written the story in First Person but from the perspective of the low-key character Chief Bromden. That is where the movie loses to the book; the FP narrative of the book made it possible for the Chief to get the necessary importance in the story even when he was just a bystander (which he was, almost throughout the story), that impression was impossible to recreate on the screen.