Can I read this book?

So I went to the library and came home with Robin Hobbs Fool's errand, only to realize that it's a continuation of another series. Can I still read it without having any other books by her??

Well I haven't read any of those I think, but I picked the next bit off this site:

You can, by the way, read The Tawny Man without having read the second trilogy in the sequence, The Liveship Traders, but you can't really give the first set a miss; the back-story matters too much.

That's just one review though, there's probably more floating around answering this question. Couldn't get on to the official Robin Hobb site because of some database error, so don't know what they're saying about it.

• 3 weeks later...

There is really a proper order to read this series in, and if you don't, some things will not make much sense and pleasant surprises could be ruined for you.

First trilogy:

Assassin's Apprentice

Royal Assassin

Assassin's Quest

Second trilogy:

Ship of Magic

Mad Ship

Ship of Destiny

Third Trilogy:

Fool's End

Golden Fool

Fool's Fate

Then there are the last two books about the Rain Wilds, which I haven't read yet. I am waiting for them to be released in paperback. :(

Thank you! I'm reading the first one right now, but the translation to swedish is really horrible so it's taking some time. I'll be reading the rest in english.

You are welcome.

I am sorry the Swedish translation you are reading is so horrible. :(

It really is a wonderful series with characters that you never want to leave.