What kind of cook are you?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not very inventive .. I nearly always follow a recipe unless it's for shepherds pie or something simple like that. If it's a curry I'll always follow a recipe .. going off piste just means inedible food in this house :D I do love cooking and baking though and trying new things. I also put my iPod on when cooking .. unless it's a really quick meal .. it takes the stress out (and .. despite loving it .. there's always stress when I'm cooking :D)

Cooking meals - I can only cope with basic stuff, and I start to panic with more than two pots on the stove at once!  Having said that, when I do cook meals, I only cook stuff I know and that doesn't need me to follow a recipe.  Timing things to finish cooking at the same time is my biggest problem, which is why most of the proper meals I cook are pasta dishes.  Other than that, I can do a huge variety of things "on toast." :lol:

I'm much more calm when baking, as there's usually no time critical finish, and doesn't require multi-tasking to get everything read in time.  It's methodical and I can get everything I need weighed, chopped, whisked, etc. before starting, and I can follow the recipe calmly.  And if it fails?  So what, it's not like it was all we had in the house to eat! :D

Edited by chesilbeach

I think I'm a good cook.  I've been cooking since I was 12, moved to our new home and finally allowed to have free reign in my mother's kitchen.  We'd previously lived with the grandparents and we weren't allowed in the kitchen and never even had to wash any dishes.  Even when visiting the grandparents aftewards I wasn't allowed in the kitchen until I hit 30! 

My siblings and I (all teens) would be watching a movie, they'd go get some crisps or make some popcorn, I on the otherhand would appear with a tray and a proper 3 course meal and all eyes would turn my way.  I'd telll them that they know where the pots were and to go help themselves.

I use a recipe 1% of the time.  I make my own recipes and will happily experiment.  I clean as a go in my kitchen  since it is a small one.  I started my nephew cooking when he was around 7 or so and now he's got himself a place on a chef course at uni at the age of 16.  My lil sis his mother, blames me lol.

• 1 month later...

I'm a fairly good cook, had lots of years cooking for my family, but I like to have peace and quiet when I cook!You know these tv programmes like Escape To The Country where the people always say they want a huge kitchen because they like loads of people around when they cook? Well, I'm the opposite , I hate anyone around me so I'm happy in a small kitchen I can shoo them away with a glass of wine, then I don't burn things or get distracted.I only want them to see the meal when it's ready to serve!

When I'm in the right mood I am a dream in the kitchen - ingredients blending perfectly to magically produce an exquisite meal. Then for the rest (99.9%) of the time I do an ok job. If a recipe is complicated I will do the first few occasions from the page, but after that I tend to adapt recipes to suit.

I love cooking mostly, and prefer to cook from scratch. I have a tiny kitchen that is more a galley than a proper kitchen, so I HAVE TO BE ALONE in there else there would be injuries, and maybe not all of them would be accidents! :D

I prefer it too when it's quiet. If a few people are actively helping me in a useful way it's not too bad, but I really don't like it when lots of people are wandering in the kitchen asking if they can help or stopping by for a chat while I've already told them I prefer it if's quieter.

Agreed poppy, and to tell the truth, I'm such a basic, verrryyyyy simple cook, it's almost embarrassing!  :blush2:

I suppose I should explain.  When I was young, my mother did all the cooking, so I didn't know how to do too much.  I went out to work, and she cooked. 

Later, my first husband cooked more than I did, and then when I lived with my Aunt, she did the cooking. 

So, really, I've not had much experience in the kitchen.  I don't mind it, but feel inept as far as "real" cooking goes.

Fortunately, Charles has simple tastes, or we go out! :giggle2:

Edited by pontalba

• 4 weeks later...

I like cooking on weekends but hate it during the weekday.

During the week I try to make it quick with minimal work so it's usually a matter of sticking something in the oven and chopping and cooking some vegies.

I have finally mastered the art of fried rice which took me a few weekends to perfect, same with potato salad.

I used to bake lots of cakes, slices and biccies but I no longer eat sugar and other yummy things.

Like Talisman and Kushy I cook only vegetarian or more to the point vegan food. I consider myself to be a good cook and used to run a non-profit vegan catering project so I needed to be quite good. And like Paperplane I have been experimenting with vegan cakes, pies and other such delicacies.