What kind of cook are you?

I'm an indulgent one :blush:.

Given the option, I'll have the radio on, a cup of rose tea or a glass of wine, the kitchen to myself. I love to cook, and eat.

I'll generally cook without a recipe unless it's something new, and my student budget has made me a pro at making a meal from odds and sods.

You?

I'm a lazy cook. I cook as little as I can because there's always something else I'd rather be doing. I try to make enough food to last me several days at least.

I'm not a confident cook either, so it's recipes all the way for me, or otherwise simple, plain food that doesn't require me to remember anything (like spag bol and omelettes).

I love cooking :blush:. I like to try new recipes, experiment and have friends over for meals. I usually follow a recipe pretty close at first, and if I like it and continue to make it I'll tweak it and make it more my own.

The last few years I've been concentrating on making stuff with only fresh ingredients, as I've grown to dislike anything pre-packaged or frozen. Sometimes though I just like dinner to be easy so I do have a frozen pizza or cup-o-soup from time to time.

I can't wait until I have a garden and can grow my own stuff!

I'm not a confident cook either, so it's recipes all the way for me, or otherwise simple, plain food that doesn't require me to remember anything (like spag bol and omelettes).

You'll get more confident with time Kylie until you're throwing things in with happy abandon (changed that from gay) :blush:

I mostly enjoy cooking and have done it for a job. I like to cook from scratch and don't use much convenience food. I prefer to have the kitchen to myself and hate people underfoot. I work fast, make a big mess and always end up with flour on my bum. I rarely use recipes unless I'm trying something new or baking cakes etc. and hardly ever stick to them. For some reason I quite like to write while I'm cooking and this sometimes leads to disastrous results where a vital ingredient gets left out or the potatoes boil dry (again :lol:) Having cooked for years for three strapping males I'm used to doing bulk and when two left home I had a lot of trouble cutting down. My two sons make me laugh, they are always ringing to ask for cooking advice.

Cleaning up afterwards is probably one of the biggest things I have against cooking. It's so disheartening to face a big pile of dishes and mess at the end of it all. And I know it's in my best interests to wash up straight away, but I rarely do and then end up with a sink/bench full of dishes for a week (like now - the result of me making carrot cake and an omelette yesterday).

I was the youngest of five, Poppy, and practically wept the day we got a dishwasher :blush:. I have one now and love it, but I honestly don't know if not having one would hinder my love of cooking...

I love cooking ;). I like to try new recipes, experiment and have friends over for meals. I usually follow a recipe pretty close at first, and if I like it and continue to make it I'll tweak it and make it more my own.

That's me too although if I'm honest I don't think my abilities match my enthusiasm!:blush:

I have a dishwasher, he hoovers and picks up socks from the floor too!:lol:

• 3 years later...

I adore cooking and often experiment in the kitchen, throwing new ideas around to come up with new recipes, as well as trying recipes by other people. I'm a dab hand at "mish-mash" cooking - taking whatever I happen to have ad making a delicious meal out of them. I'm also the Queen of batch cooking - no matter what I'm making, I always make at least one spare portion to freeze for later, and use my slow cooker to the max to make up to a dozen portions of things like bolognese, chilli, curry or stew so I can freeze loads. This comes in very handy when I get ill (because I don't have to think about cooking healthy meals for my family - they're ready just to defrost and reheat). I'm planning on filling up the freezer ready for me going into labour because once Button arrives, I won't have as much time for cooking till I get used to having a small child AND a new baby in the house!

At any given time, I have various soups, stews, chillis, pasta dishes and entire roast dinners in the freezer. It means that once or twice a week, when I'm pushed for time, I don't cook from scratch at all, and I still have plenty of choice. :)

I hate cooking.  I only do it because I have to.  I mostly cook standard things like spag bol, bangers and mash, but will try new things sometimes.  When I make something new I follow the recipe the first time, then add things the next time.  

My kids cook sometimes, but not as much as they probably should because I also hate doing dishes, and the rule in our house is 'the cook doesn't do dishes.'  

I quite like to cook (when I'm not tired). I feel most comfortable preparing cold food, ie. various kinds of salads or top a pizza. I also know how to prepare quite a few foods in the oven or on the gas cooker (ie. pasta), however I'm more uncomfortable with this because I'm afraid to get burned and you have to pay more attention within a faster time period. I can also make some cakes and pastries however I haven't done so a lot on my own, usually I do this with someone else and we prepare things together (this happens with dinner sometimes too, and then I prepare the cold salad for example). I also make ie. herb butter for on stickbread or Turkish bread, I've done that quite often, among many other things..

I cook quite a lot on my own lately. I plan to do more cooking, try out more new recipes and new things, when I'm done with university. I have some cookbooks that I'd like to flick through and make things out of as well as there is the internet, there's a pretty good Dutch site that has nice recipes that I use now and then.

I'm not good with cooking things I don't like myself. I tend to not want to learn how it's done if I think I won't like it or if I don't like one of the main ingredients (does that make sense?). Maybe it doesn't make sense, in the case of most things you cook, ie. fish I can say that if I cook it I'll have to smell that awful fish smell (which I really don't like), however I don't have a big reason for some other things that stay cold. I'm just not as interested in a recipe if it's something I think I won't like.

I'm passable, I suppose.  I'm not the sort of person who can just look in the fridge, pick a bunch of ingredients and make something off the cuff, though.  The first time I try something, at least, I have to have a recipe in front of me and all the ingredients to hand.  I enjoy cooking, though.  I like cooking curries, using all the spices and such rather than ready made sauces or whatever.  I put the radio on and listen whilst I'm doing it and find it quite fun and relaxing.  Saturday morning, making a curry whilst listening to Fighting Talk on Radio Five Live is a regular occurrence  :smile:

Like Kushy, I am also a vegetarian cook - and a wheat free one too. It is surprising what you can come up even with these apparent limitations - you can get wheat and gluten free (most people still don't understand the difference) versions of most things, like pasta and so on. 

I have periods where I love to cook and try new recipes, but usually I stick to our routine meal plan. It's just easier for shopping and planning. Occasionally though, something will catch my fancy or they will talk about something at work and I'll give it a go. But for the most part, I tend to stick with what I know (which isn't a great deal :D ).

I'm italian, so if I couldn't cook I would probably be arrested or something. We have food in our DNA! But I also have a serious disease linked with food so I'm a sort of Two Face cook: When I have friends here I do every tasty recipes on the typical italian menu, like pasta, lasagne, risotto, tiramisù and so on; but when I cook for myself (and I can't eat oil, butter, salt, sugar, eggs, any fat nor meat) I'm a little depressed and my "fantasy in kitchen" is really low.