Adrian Mole

boris

• 3 weeks later...

I read the first one years ago when it first came out and found it hilarious. Not sure what happened to my copy. I may have read one or two after that, but don't remember them that well, it was so long ago.

I read the first one when i was around twelve i think. I could relate to a lot of it which was kinda cool back then. I remember a lot of aspects which stood out, it really speaks to people on that teenage angsty level.

Did anyone see Sue Townsend on 'The Book Show' recently? I record this programme on Sky Plus but haven't got round to seeing this one yet.

Yes, I watched it. She's an entertaining interviewee and I like her approach to writing and reading, but I have to say, although I read the first Adrian Mole book when I was a teenager, I haven't read any since and I probably won't be reading any more.

Yes, I watched it. She's an entertaining interviewee and I like her approach to writing and reading, but I have to say, although I read the first Adrian Mole book when I was a teenager, I haven't read any since and I probably won't be reading any more.

Splendid, I'll take some time to watch it. I liked the early Adrian Mole books when I was younger.

I love Adrian Mole books, though I haven't read them all. It was years ago, but I still remember the Townsend humor. :17:

I'm planning on reading some Dutch translations of the Mole series to my daughter, hoping to share the Townsend humor with her.

So they filmed the books for telly? What were they called? I'd like to watch them, perhaps they're somewhere online? (YouTube?) When were they filmed?

I just saw an advert for a new Adrian Mole book called The Prostrate Years. I just checked Wikipedia, and he is now apparently 39 and a quarter.

Jeez, this definitely makes me feel old! Remember loving these books as a teenager and really enjoying the tv series as well :17:.

Had no idea Sue Townsend was still writing them...i may have to indulge myself in the New Year...:D

• 3 weeks later...

All the Adrian Mole books are great especially the cappucino years, have not read the new one yet though. I did not think much of Townsend's other books though (Number ten, Escaping coventry etc..). There is one Mole book that i believe was just released in America called the lost years it is the wilderness years with about 100 pages of new story added to the front to fill the gap a little inbetween books.

• 2 years later...

Here I go - resurrecting an old thread again.

I love love love Adrian Mole - enjoyed his boyhood books more than the adult ones though!

So funny you should resurrect this now! I've not been able to come online for a few days and I started reading Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years while I was off. Apparently this was published all the way back in 1993 but I suppose my hometown's library didn't have a copy because I never read it as a teen. I bought a copy some years ago and this is my first time reading it and it's brilliant :smile2:

I wonder if any of our non-UK members have read and enjoyed these? I think they're wonderful, but I wonder how well they translate, as the humour is so British. You really have to know what Townsend is referring to in order to find them so hilarious.

I know I've answered this before, saying that I've always enjoyed the humor, but now I've noticed that some of the people and events mentioned aren't all particularly well known outside the UK. As a kid I didn't know most of the topical things etc, now I know more. And now if I don't know something, I can google it. As a kid I used to think Townsend has made some of the events up but now that I've been wiki-ing the things I'm unfamiliar with, I've realised that those things have actually happened. I've learnt about the Birmingham Six today, as well as President Bush's vomiting incident :D

Great books, I'll keep on re-reading these books til I kick the bucket :)

So funny you should resurrect this now! I've not been able to come online for a few days and I started reading Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years while I was off.

That is a funny co-incidence! Ha!

And yes, it is a brilliant book.

And I'm sure I haven't got the UK-specific political jokes, but despite it all, Adrian Mole makes me laugh!

(As did this :

As a kid I used to think Townsend has made some of the events up

:giggle2: )

• 1 month later...

Adrian Mole series

(from wiki)

Edited by frankie

• 7 months later...

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 is today's Kindle Daily Deal for £0.99. I bought it as it's such a popular book - like Judy Blume for boys maybe (even though the author is female)? I have actually read it many years ago, but I think I was far too young to understand any of it and I remember being disappointed. Hopefully I'll see it differently now that I'm (apparently) an adult.