King vs Koontz

mtjm

haha it's true King is :negative:

Hmm. Now I like Stephen King, but then I also like Dean Koontz. There's only one way to sort this out......FIGHT!!!!!

Prefer Koontz over Stephen King.

:o Blasphemy!

Hmm. Now I like Stephen King, but then I also like Dean Koontz. There's only one way to sort this out......FIGHT!!!!!

Haha - we actually have a thead for this very topic:

http://www.bookclubf...__+koontz +king

Edited by ~Andrea~

I've read a few of his: Fear Nothing, The Taking and The Face, all of which I enjoyed immensely. I maybe enjoyed The Taking the most, simply because of its spooky and mesmerising atmosphere. I would like to read more and would probably go for Odd Thomas next.

You will love Odd Thomas..... One of my fav has to be Dark Rivers of the Heart tho x

Dark Rivers of the Heart is one of my favouite books. I have read several of DKs and like someone mentioned they are hit and miss. SKs Misery is also a good one of his.

I love DK's style of writing it just seems to flow for me, where as I find SK a bit harder to get into. I have lots of DK's books in my shelves, love them x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, here is blasphemy for you.

I don't care for either one, but if I had to choose, I'd pick Koontz.

While neither one can develop characters with realistic motivations, at least Koontz does not get long-winded and some of his books are suspenseful with interesting twists.

King rambles on and on about nothing, and has always disappointed with his climaxes.

If you are going to write a 1000 plus page book, you need to have something of substance within it. In my opinion, King fails miserably.

While neither one can develop characters with realistic motivations, at least Koontz does not get long-winded and some of his books are suspenseful with interesting twists.

King rambles on and on about nothing, and has always disappointed with his climaxes.

If you are going to write a 1000 plus page book, you need to have something of substance within it. In my opinion, King fails miserably.

While I agree with you about the ending of King's books (especially IT - I thought the ending was just dire), I have to disagree about how he develops his characters. I think he is brilliant at creating characters that have a lot of depth and...well...character. I always feel I know what makes them tick as he is very good at expressing what is going on inside their heads. Which books of his have you read? I find his books have changed a lot over time, to the point where you almost can't compare the newer ones to the much earlier ones.

While I agree with you about the ending of King's books (especially IT - I thought the ending was just dire), I have to disagree about how he develops his characters. I think he is brilliant at creating characters that have a lot of depth and...well...character. I always feel I know what makes them tick as he is very good at expressing what is going on inside their heads. Which books of his have you read? I find his books have changed a lot over time, to the point where you almost can't compare the newer ones to the much earlier ones.

I've read all of them up to The Tommyknockers. After that, I've only read some of them. You are not the first person to disagree with me about his character development. Sure, he does put you inside their thoughts, but in my opinion, he doesn't explain in a way that makes sense WHY they act as they do.

For example, in The Shining, he had a great opportunity to develop the character of Jack Torrance, who was particularly susceptible to the evil influence of the hotel. The only reason was that he was an alcoholic. Alcoholism doesn't come from nowhere. WHY was Jack an alcoholic? What demons inside of him led him to drink and to then succumb to the power of the hotel? There was no exploration of the reasons for the darkness within Jack Torrance.

I could cite so many other examples, but I think that gives a pretty good idea of why I don't think much of King's character development. Koontz isn't good at it, either, but the difference for me is that Koontz doesn't pretend to be that kind of writer.

Edited by Pixie

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I LOVE dean koontz!!! :) I love his style of writing,the way that you feel like u really know the characters and you are living the story with them,the twists the turns,I've read most of his books and will read them again and again :) strange highways really sticks in my mind and lightening but all are works of a genius in my opinion. I couldn't get into sk's books,I've only read IT and skipped pages on that as felt it dragged a bit,actually tell a lie I did read a book of I think 4 short stories of SK which were good but DK wins for me :)