Looking for a new author to love...

so I propose a contest for anyone that wants to participate. :lol:

Tell me about an author that has never failed to disappoint you. Genre does not matter to me. Convince me that I will also not be disappointed in the author you choose. I welcome facts and emotional pleas as well. Insert as many details about the author's work as you can without revealing the actual plots.

Whomever, in my opinion, has the most persuasive argument will win the contest and I promise I will pick up a book by the winning author.

It's a win win situation for all. You get to gush about your favorite writers and I get to read something new. :blush:

I have read a lot of authors already, so if you choose one that I have read, I will let you know. Hint: Most of the classics would be not be new to me or are already on my bookshelf.

I like all types of fiction. However, two things that tend to draw me to authors are excellent character development and deep, universal themes that touch the soul.

Looking forward to hearing about your favorite authors. :tong:

Linda Gillard.

'Emotional Geology' ~ 'EG' is a book of texture, emotional and otherwise. It stays with you long after you have closed the cover.

'Star Gazing' ~ The particular journey that this book takes you on will be enlightening and awakening. You will see the world differently at the end.

'A Lifetime Burning' ~ This book is a different beast altogether, the strands of the story interweaving themselves to be a compelling read. Linda has taken something considered controversial and written a book that is stunning.

All three beautifully written by a author who truly understands human frailties and strengths. Characters you can believe in, plots that compel you to read on, and a sense of wonder at completion.

Hmm - for starters I would say John Harwood. He has only written two novels: The Ghost Writer and The Seance. But they are both great reads IMO - spooky and well-written tales, great for winter nights :blush: and I await his next book with much anticipation.

I am sure I can come up with some others but that's the first that sprung to mind.

there are too many to choose from but if I had to choose it would have to be Jasper Fforde - his books are incredible! a great mixture of humour, fantasy, and whodunnit with great writing. keeps you smiling :blush:

Thank you for the responses so far. I don't know any of the author's mentioned, which is a good thing.

I am off to work now and will check back later. :)

there are too many to choose from but if I had to choose it would have to be Jasper Fforde - his books are incredible! a great mixture of humour, fantasy, and whodunnit with great writing. keeps you smiling :)

I second that! He really is great. I used to say that I do not really go for fantasy, but since I discovered Jasper Fforde, I cannot say that any more. While reading his books, I often catch myself chuckling out loud.

I'll fifth Jasper Fforde. Let it suffice that he's the only artist I've ever gone so gaga over I made an absolute spoon of myself in his presence and ended up literally running away in shame before he had the chance to respond to my ramblings :).

Sixthing (ouch) Jasper Fforde for all aforementioned reasons. He's a cappuccino.

Start with The Eyre Affair working through the Thursday Next series (which is like the coffee in your cappuccino), then do the Nursery Crimes (this is the foam on your cappuccino), and finish with Shades of Grey (which is as pure genius as the finishing chocolate sprinkles on the foam on your coffee in your cappuccino).

My two favourite things in life? Cappuccino and Jasper Fforde. Since I found them, I can't live without.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it has taken so long for my response. I have been so busy lately and haven't had a chance to reply.

Thank you all for the recommendations. I have decided on Linda Gillard and will purchase her book Emotional Geology. It looks to be the exact type of book I was looking for.

I may look into the other recommendations as well when I have more money to spare. I noticed Jasper Fforde was highly praised by all of you, although comedy is not what I am seeking at the moment.

Thank you so much, everyone! :D

Guest mcflash271

Go with Stuart Woods! Everything he writes(particularly the Stone Barrington novels) have a personal feel to them. These books will actually make you feel like you're part of the plot and before you know it you'll be actually nervous to know the outcome. These are truly great books, and whether or not you choose my reply, I urge you to give them a try. I would start off with New York Dead, then from there you should be able to figure out which order so as to proceed in. Goodluck!

Pixie wrote:

"I have decided on Linda Gillard and will purchase her book Emotional Geology. It looks to be the exact type of book I was looking for."

Thanks for the purchase, Pixie! (I'm the author.) Every little helps. :D

If you enjoy EG, you might enjoy STAR GAZING which is similar, but a bit lighter in tone.

Happy reading!

Edited by Linda Gillard
correction

Oh! Well, color me red with embarrassment. :D

I had no idea the actual author visited these forums.

I feel shy that you know I will be reading your book.

I actually did also purchase Star Gazing, as that one looked very interesting as well. :D

Oh dear, didn't mean to make you feel embarrassed! There are quite a few authors on this forum, I believe. Some of us have been interviewed by Michelle, or have written for the blog. I drop by now and again because I like to thank people for their recommendations and support.

So don't feel inhibited, Pixie. I would be interested to hear any reader's views on my books, positive or negative. As an author you learn so much from what readers have to say, good or bad, and it's all so personal anyway. You can't please everyone and a good author wouldn't try to.

I'll get back to the Word Factory now - finishing off the 5th book! :D

It's okay. I embarrass easily. :D

I would be glad to give my feedback on your books. I always try my best to give constructive criticism and praise. Sometimes, though, an author may write well and has a good story to tell, and it is just a difference in personalities or preferences between the author and the reader. But I don't think merely stating "I loved it!" or "I loathed it!" is very helpful :D, so I always try to put some thought into my reasons for liking or disliking what I have read.

I am looking forward to reading both that I have ordered. In fact, when I am done with the one I am currently reading, Emotional Geology will be next. :lol: