Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier

Janet

I'm a big Chevalier fan and have to say that Burning Bright is certainly not my favourite of her work. It's a shame this was your introduction to Chevalier; if you do ever feel inclined to pick up another novel by her please make it The Lady and the Unicorn, I think it's brilliant (and I believe peacefield might just agree :lol:)

Good review though, I agree with most of your points :lol:

Thanks - I will add The Lady and the Unicorn to my "look out for this one second-hand" list - this is a new list concept that I've only just thought of! :lol:

</Goes to Amazon to create new Wish List>

Oh dear, I have this one on my pile. I read Girl With A Pearl Earring and adored it - and I am aware of the forum-based love for The Girl And The Unicorn - I just happened to pick this one up because it was €2.50 in a charity shop. Hopefully I'll like it anyway!

I certainly don't think Burning Bright is the best example of her work, but I still enjoyed it. I thought some of the descriptions were a little bit cliched at times, and I think sometimes it strays from Jem and Maggie slightly too long as the focus changes to another of the Kellaway or Butterfield family.

I too loved Girl With A Pearl Earring and like Mexicola and peacefield, I think The Lady and the Unicorn is great, but my favourite of hers is still Falling Angels which I adored and it made me weep by the end.

I've read all of her work, and agree that Burning Bright is maybe not the best, but I loved it nevertheless. It was her fifth book, and I'd say her first four had a different feel to them. I'd find it hard to pick a favourite as I enjoyed them all.

I too am sorry that your first experience with Chevalier was not the best, Janet, but I'll echo what Mexicola has said, which is to read The Lady and the Unicorn if ever the chance presents itself!

I've yet to read Falling Angels and Remarkable Creatures, but Burning Bright was my least favorite of hers that I have read. The Lady and the Unicorn will always remain in my top-10 of all time though, it's just lovely :lol:.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't post in Noll's thread as I try not to read about books before I embark on them, but my Mum bought The Lady and the Unicorn yesterday, so it'll be heading my way some time soon. Thanks for the recommendation to everyone who mentioned it. :D

I'm going to start Burning Bright over the next couple of days, and I must get her other books. I've been fortunate so far in that the three I own were all in my local charity shop for less than €2 each! :D

I can't post in Noll's thread as I try not to read about books before I embark on them, but my Mum bought The Lady and the Unicorn yesterday, so it'll be heading my way some time soon. Thanks for the recommendation to everyone who mentioned it. :lol:

Lovely news, Janet! I can't wait to hear what you think of this one :).

• 9 months later...

I just finished Remarkable Creatures.

I enjoyed it but felt that you were waiting for something big to happen and it never did.

Enjoyable to read though!

Thats how I felt about Burning Bright. I enjoyed it whilst I was reading it but when I finsihed I though "And ?"

I haven�t read any books by this author before, although I have seen most of the film The Girl with the Pearl Earring (sleep1.gif) but I loved the sound of this, especially as it features poet William Blake who wrote the words to Jerusalem, which I love.

My sister told me to read The Girl with the Pearl Earring but I had previously seen the film and really didn't want to read it as well but then when I couldn't decide what to read next I thought I would give it a go and could not put it down. So much better than the film.

• 5 months later...

I love Tracy Chevalier. This was the first of her books that I read and I loved it. So much so that, as soon as I'd finished it, I went out and bought all of her other books and read them back to back. The only one I haven't read is The Girl & the Unicorn but I have it in my 'to read' pile.

I really liked Burning Bright and that and Falling Angels are my favourites. Funnily enough, The Girl with the Pearl Earring was my least favourite and I thought I'd love that.