Anyone else gardening?

CornflowerBlue

I've had a search but not much came up except members' individual threads.

I've only got a tiny garden, when we moved here it was a paved yard and we've gradually lifted slabs and added compost. Yesterday I roped my ex into coming round and lifting some slabs for me, when we got back from buying lunch he'd lifted all six and dug over the sand and aggregate underneath!

I mixed in two HUGE bags of well-rotted manure courtesy of my horsey friend, and now have a 3ftx4ft bed for my curcubits. Courgettes and pumpkins are in, and I'm just waiting for my butternut squashes to beef up a bit before I bung them in.

The garden won't produce enough for me to come even close to self-sufficient, but I'll have homegrown lettuce, potatoes, french beans, peas, turnips, beetroot, mini pumpkins, courgettes, butternuts, strawberries and redcurrants. Not bad for a tiny plot! :lol:

We also have loads of mint which my housemate sowed loose into the garden, so unfortunately we had to have all my friends round and force mojitos on them through the summer :lol:

Our soil's not great, lots of sand and gravel from the slabs. There's no access to the back except through the house, and this is our student house, so we've never been able to afford clearing it and adding decent topsoil. It's fine now, we started adding compost and manure about four years ago, but it's very free-draining because of all the sand.

I am growing veg in raised beds, I have 4 cordon trained apple trees growing up the east fence, a victoria plum & a morello cherry tree. I decided to grow gooseberries in the front garden as I have a real problem at the end of my back garden with brambles and Japanese vine. The husband also thinks its a place to store building materials for all the projects he's yet to get round to. If it were a TV show it would be Gardener's world in Steptoe's yard :help:I need Charlie Dimmock & Tommy Walsh NOW!

I have a veggie patch, and the lettuce are looking awesome! Tomatoes are looking good now even though I was worried as we got caught out by the late frost a while ago.

I just have a problem with the neigbours cat knocking my plant pots over and trying to yank out my plants :lol:

My Dad built up a wall for my soon-to-be vegie patch recently, but I've decided to wait until spring to start growing stuff. I have other work to do in my courtyard in the meantime to prepare for it. I'm so excited that I'll finally have a vegie patch, but I've never grown anything besides a few cherry tomatoes before, so I hope it doesn't all go horribly wrong!

By the way, I'm on the lookout for a good vegie/herb gardening book. If anyone has any recommendations, please share!

Our back yard is all chipped slate pieces, with only 2 tiny beds, so we decided to buy some willow planters & a few pots to plant some veg. This is our first attempt, so we're going pretty small, but we have a willow planter full of potatoes, one with about a million carrots & leeks & we have a couple pots with tomatoes, butternut squash & garlic. So cannot wait for our first potatoe harvest, which should be in the next couple of weeks! Very excited!!!