All-time favorite mystery/crime/thriller novel?

In this genre, what book is your all-time favorite?

Mine is probably Agatha Christie's "And then there were none". I read it a few years ago and I had NIGHTMARES because of it, since I usually read in bed right before going to sleep.... :lol:

Also very much love Dan Brown's "da Vinci code" and "Angels and demons" since there are cliffhangers all the time and fast pace. But I think my no.1. fave is Agatha Christie's "And then there were none". I love the concept of it and how it plays out. I love a good murder mystery!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crikey, this one's a difficult thread to answer. I guess the Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson is up there, but I love Harlan Coben's crime thrillers and...

...'ecky thump! There's absolutely loads I could put down...:lol:

I'm with you on Larsson and Coben, Mac!:lol:

To choose just one book out of this whole genre? That's hard. I'm going to go for The Blue Nowhere by Jeffery Deaver. But it's only one of many I love!

I couldn't choose a favourite author in this genre, let alone a favourite book.:lol:

Actually, me neither. It's a toughie! :D

A really difficult question and decision, but after all it was an easy choice for me: it's definitely Jeffery Deaver's The Coffin Dancer! I'm still blown away by the twist(s) in that novel and can't begin to imagine how Deaver came to think of it. That man is pure genious. :lol:

A really difficult question and decision, but after all it was an easy choice for me: it's definitely Jeffery Deaver's The Coffin Dancer! I'm still blown away by the twist(s) in that novel and can't begin to imagine how Deaver came to think of it. That man is pure genious. :D

(If anyone wants to read it, I suggest you read Deaver's The Bone Collector first, because TCD is the second novel to the Lincoln Rhyme -series which starts off by TBC. TBC is another gem as well :lol:)

• 2 weeks later...

And Then There Were None is one of my favourites as well! I've just read The Killings at Badger's Drift (Midsomer Murders) and absolutely loved it. My current favourite is Dark Fire by C.J. Sansom. I just love Shardlake...especially when I imagine him played by Branagh!!

• 2 weeks later...

As with others, find this really hard. I'd certainly go along with Wilkie Collins as one possibility.

However, in the end, if I had to plump for one single crime novel, it would be a draw between Ian Pears's An Instance of the Fingerpost and Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose. For mystery I'd go for Sebastien Japrisot's A Very Long Engagement. The series I enjoy the most is Donna Leon's Inspector Brunetti series.

I'd say all the Wallander's series by Mankell, as well as THE BLACK DALHIA by James Elroy.

Although I have to admit the French Fred Vargas has to be on the list too.

Brilliant another Vargas fan, I love the series and have read all the ones so far translated into english wish there were more.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't read many crime/thriller novels. But of the top of my head, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I found it a bit difficult at first, to understand and keep track of what was going on, but once I got into it, I thought it was really creative and original. The mystery was good, and I didn't see it coming.