What's for Dinner?

11 hours ago, Hayley said:

Yesterday I discovered that I don’t really like moussaka made with potatoes! 

I've never had moussaka made with potatoes. Does it still have the aubergines?

I managed to snag, for the first time ever, one of Lidl's anti gaspillage (anti waste) boxes for 1€ which had after I'd composted 2 elderly aubergines, 2 onions and a pepper that was well over gave me 2 kilos of onions, 6 aubergines, 3 bell peppers and 9 long ones and a big bunch of grapes. So far we're working our way through a big aubergine parmigiana and I'm turning the peppers in pepperonata, the onions will be used in all sorts of things. The grapes have already been eaten.

7 hours ago, France said:

I've never had moussaka made with potatoes. Does it still have the aubergines?

Yes it did, I think that was the issue. The texture of the potatoes alongside the aubergine was just odd! 

The anti waste box sounds great! 

On 10/27/2023 at 6:20 AM, Hayley said:

I tried pumpkin pie for the first time yesterday and I love it! 

Glad to hear that you like it. We have it every year on "Thanksgiving along with apple pie.

We had a nice dinner tonight. Roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, peas, and cornbread stuffing.

Mashed potato and peas used to be my favourite childhood supper!

I tried cream of pumpkin soup once, someone made it, it was nice but he put a little bit of garlic in as well which was lovely, as otherwise it could have been a bit bland.

21 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I tried cream of pumpkin soup once, someone made it, it was nice but he put a little bit of garlic in as well which was lovely, as otherwise it could have been a bit bland.

It depends a lot on the pumpkin, a nice dry, sweet one makes great soup. I add fried onion and bacon, some grated nutmeg, ground black pepper and some chopped chives if you've got them. 

• Like 1