What's for Dinner?

Yes - I know. Most people don't really understand what veggie means let alone pistacarean of any of that. And no, you are not being pedantic, you are right. I should be the one to apologise for misleading people for the sake of an easy life.  :hide:

1 hour ago, Talisman said:

Yes - I know. Most people don't really understand what veggie means let alone pistacarean of any of that. And no, you are not being pedantic, you are right. I should be the one to apologise for misleading people for the sake of an easy life.  :hide:

There are a lot of different labels, I agree, and it can get confusing.  I'm an ovo-veggie (no meat, no fish, no dairy).  It took me becoming one to learn what it meant! :D

15 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

There are a lot of different labels, I agree, and it can get confusing.  I'm an ovo-veggie (no meat, no fish, no dairy).  It took me becoming one to learn what it meant! :D

So what's the difference between that and being a vegan - from the "ovo" bit does that mean you eat eggs?  Which of course would make you a non-vegan!

There are small amounts of protein in virtually all foods actually, but the whole thing about eating large amounts of protein is a bit of a myth anyway, The truth is that we need something like 2 ounces of protein a day in order to maintain the body's functions and basically to replace dead skin cells and so on. You can get this from a cheese sandwich. This is all that you need. Any more than that leads to toxicity and overweight. 

As for my dinner though - tonight we are having good old fashioned egg and chips - so I guess you could say then that I am a laco ovo pistacarean! 

9 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

Yes, I still eat eggs. :) 

That is very interesting I learnt something new here. I would only know vegetarian and vegan.

My mum's friend decided to become a vegetarian when she was 16 over 30 years ago but she still eats fish. 

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:54 PM, chesilbeach said:

What's a pistacarean, June? I've heard of a pescatarian, but not a pistacarean.

It's a fast day for me today, so I'll be having a quorn fillet with as much salad as I can fit in my bowl! :D

I probably spelt it wrong - in which case apologies again. I sometimes wonder if I'm a bit dyslexic. It is though basically someone who fish but not meat. 

Your Mum's friend Lau Lau is then like me - pescatarian rather than vegetarian. To clarify a vegetarian eats animal products such as honey, eggs and dairy, as the animal does not need to die in order to provide these - although this is a matter of debate when it comes to dairy of course when you consider what happens to veal calves. A vegan on the other hand will eat no animal products whatsoever. This also extends to things like drugs and cosmetics that may have animal derivatives in them, as well as things like leather shoes and handbags. 

A pescatarian like I said eats fish but not meat. As fish are animals that live in water, it is incorrect for someone with this lifestyle to call themselves a vegetarian. Now that OB has reminded me of that, I will make much more of an effort not to do that myself as actually it causes a lot of problems for real vegetarians, not to mention confusion. 

Edited by Talisman

28 minutes ago, Talisman said:

I probably spelt it wrong - in which case apologies again. I sometimes wonder if I'm a bit dyslexic.

No need to apologise, I just thought it might be another term I didn't know, as I think pista- has a spanish (maybe latin?) root.  Although I'm a vegetarian myself, I've never really looked at the different varieties of it, so for example, I'd never heard of the ovo-veggie term before. :) 

Tonight we'll be having asparagus tart with herb roasted potatoes and steamed veg.

thank you, Talisman :)

I think she said something along the lines of "if it has four legs I won't eat it" although she doesn't eat any poultry either.

Do you ever get people telling you they are vegetarian because they only eat chicken?

Yes, I have heard that. Don't worry though, I soon put them straight on that one. 

One of my finest moments in promoting vegetarianism came believe it or not in the café at my local Tesco. I ordered a vegetarian breakfast and the man behind me in the queue said "vegetarian breakfast love, you don't know what you're missing". I fired back words to the effect "yes I do, increased risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke, diabetes, high blood pressure, gout, shortened life expectancy, do you want me to continue?". I could have cheered when the woman behind him also ordered a vegetarian breakfast and asked if she could share my table!    

Although I have now gone back to eating fish (mainly because I found I used to crave it - probably because I needed the oils perhaps), I am still a member of The Vegetarian Society here in Britain. A few years back they worked out a legal description of the term vegetarian that sets the standard that foods have to reach in order to be certified/labelled as suitable for vegetarians. I don't have the exact wording, but it is something along the lines of eating neither flesh, fish or foul and avoiding the by products of slaughter, such as gelatine cochineal etc. That to me is the difference between vegetarians and vegans - a vegetarian will eat/consume animal products (such as dairy etc.) where the animal has not needed to die in order to produce it, but a vegan will avoid anything animal related at all. I have thought about becoming vegan over the years, and do of course eat vegan food (as has anyone who has ever eaten a jacket spud with beans), but I don't really like the taste of many of the plant milks, plus being wheat intolerant complicates things as well somewhat. It is true that a lot of vegan foods are naturally wheat free, but I work full time in a very busy and physically demanding job and do not want to have to think about things too much when I get home, plus there are only so many jacket spuds you can eat in restaurants and so on!

I'm sorry, but that is so rude! How dare he say that! 

I am not a vegetarian, probably never will be but do understand the benefits of having free meat days. However you chose to live your life and what you eat is up to you as an individual. I would certainly never comment on a customers' request in a supermarket, restaurant or any other establishment. Some just don't think before they speak. 

On the subject of plant milk, I just made the switch from soya to Alpro's unsweetened almond milk, and wahooooo, it's taking some getting used to.  My morning All Bran is tasting decidedly funky, let me tell you.  But the almond stuff is better for you, so I'm sticking with it.  I'll get used to it -- I hope! :D 

Nothing fancy tonight, just using up some of the leftover veg.  Shredded sprouts & carrots, stir fried with chickpeas, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, paprika & garlic, and a shaking of nooch, with kale & pak choi, a corn cob, and a sliced avocado.  What a hodgepodge!

Edited by Onion Budgie

That certainly sounds like an interesting mix OB. As for that rude customer, as he found out, I can give as good as I get. He didn't have an answer to that one, because of course there isn't one ....

I still do about 2 green smoothies a day although since I'm in Texas and don't have access to all my stuff, I will have to find another way around it. Salads manly. Its really difficult to eat the way I want when I have to leave my main ingredients at home. I had thought about purchasing it while out here but its expensive and I don't want to leave it behind because they don't use the same things.

Having said that, I do plan to experience some authentic Mexican food!

Sounds good to me Virginia. I always have to take a few gluten free basics with me as well when I travel, at least for the first few days, as the last thing I want to do is start my holiday traipsing all over the place looking for a supermarket that sells this sort of stuff. It can cause a bit of a headache when it comes to packing however, especially when I travel with just hand baggage, which I am increasingly doing, seeing as most airlines seem to charge so much for this.

Today though Coran and I went out for lunch to our favourite vegetarian restaurant in Guildford (and yes, it is vegetarian and not pescatarian). I had a nice veggie curry followed by lemon roulade while Coran had a cheese, potato and mustard seed bake followed by rhubarb crumble with custard.