Old-ish sour cream... is it safe?

I've got a tub of sour cream & chive dip in the fridge, it was opened quite a while ago (I'd say at least 2/3 weeks) but there's no furry bits on it... is it safe, d'you guys think? The label says 3 days but then the label on ready-made curry sauce says the same thing and I always use that provided it isn't furry - the difference being that I cook the sauce and wouldn't really want to cook my sour cream dip :D!

Like Chrissy said, smell it, it should be okay because its been in the freezer, or you could stir it up a bit and then see how it smells (you can tell I am the daughter of a chef, 'stir it up' :D

I have finished the jar and I seem to be still alive, so I think rejoicing is in order :D I will stick to 'best by' dates with raw meat because salmonella doesn't really appeal, otherwise I tend to eat anything that isn't green and/or furry - my body's used to it I think, not quite sure why I was so worried there!

Best before means that it is at it's best quality before the date, but it is still safe to eat afterwards, although quality is not guaranteed. Use by means just that, use it by the date on the label.

I always think .. 'my Nan wouldn't have thrown this out' (but then she would never have heard of sour cream and chive dip .. or dip of any kind for that matter .. she made cheese dip, but it was hot and cooked in bacon fat).

I read somewhere that if a jar of Jam/Marmalade has mould in it just scrape the first few centimetres out and it's fine, it's only usually where the butter knife has contaminated it.

I couldn't eat some Jersey Royals yesterday because they'd gone green within the space of a few days (because of the warm weather I guess) and green means poisonous.

The thing is Giulia, you're still alive, that much we know, but has your grey matter been impaired in any way? What's the first thing that comes into your head if I say ... Dan Brown?

she made cheese dip, but it was hot and cooked in bacon fat
That sounds GLORIOUS *do want*!

The thing is Giulia, you're still alive, that much we know, but has your grey matter been impaired in any way? What's the first thing that comes into your head if I say ... Dan Brown?
Tripe?

You're fine then phew! (and a food related insult ... fantastic :D)

I never found out how Nan made the cheese dip .. by the time I got into cooking she'd departed this world. My Mum, may God forgive her (I can't) never got the recipe :roll:

We've attempted it, based on what we thought she did, and it's been good, but not the same.