797 replies to this topic

#781 Timstar

Timstar

The Scientist

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

I hope you guys don't mind my posting... I know this is a book forum, but there's something I learned today about Stephen King. It was on Abby's feed and as a dog fan I can't help but share! :blush:

Yeah I saw that on his Twitter, very funny!

Has anyone else read Revival? I've just finished it and thought it was borderline awful, some good characters as always but just really dull story that felt like a padded out novella

#782 Karsa Orlong

Karsa Orlong

Avid Reader

• Advanced Member
  • 7,158 posts
  • Reading now?:Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge
  • LocationOn my ship the Rocinante, wheeling through the galaxies

Posted 30 October 2015 - 02:41 PM

Has anyone else read Revival? I've just finished it and thought it was borderline awful, some good characters as always but just really dull story that felt like a padded out novella

That pretty much sums up all of his post-Misery output that I've read, I have to say.  I enjoyed the characters' stories in Revival but the ending was atrocious.

#783 Michelle

Michelle

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 9,464 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:25 AM

I wasn't that keen on Revival, but I did like Mr Mercedes, and Doctor Sleep. Didn't finish Finders Keepers.

#784 BookShelfy91

BookShelfy91

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Reading now?:From A Buick 8 - Stephen King
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 November 2015 - 06:40 AM

Yeah I saw that on his Twitter, very funny!

I couldn't finish Revival, I got a couple of chapters in and had to put it down. I've never done that with an SK book before...Intrigued by Finders Keepers, yet to read it. My first was Tommy Knockers, I was 10. As you can imagine it was terrifying. My favourite was and still is Christine. Currently reading the Dark Tower Series, I have heard some alarming things about the ending...makes me a little worried about finishing it. Without revealing anything...how is the ending?

Cheers,

Shelfy

#785 Timstar

Timstar

The Scientist

• Advanced Member
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:37 AM

Without revealing anything...how is the ending?

... unconventional.

#786 chaliepud

chaliepud

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 4,673 posts
  • LocationLeafy Surrey

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:49 AM

Has anyone read The Colorado Kid? I watch the TV series Haven and it is loosely based on it so wondered if it would be worth a go?

#787 BookShelfy91

BookShelfy91

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:32 AM

Has anyone read The Colorado Kid? I watch the TV series Haven and it is loosely based on it so wondered if it would be worth a go?

I am yet to pick it up but I have heard good things if that helps at all.

Shelfy

#788 BookShelfy91

BookShelfy91

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:36 AM

... unconventional.

Hmm, see now that is what bothers me...I have only ever not finished one of his books and he seems to have this thing about not giving happy endings. I mean Doctor Sleep? Cujo?

I am loving the Dark Tower series though.. it is very easy to get into. Should I be worried?

Shelfy

#789 Timstar

Timstar

The Scientist

• Advanced Member
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:55 AM

Hmm, see now that is what bothers me...I have only ever not finished one of his books and he seems to have this thing about not giving happy endings. I mean Doctor Sleep? Cujo?

I am loving the Dark Tower series though.. it is very easy to get into. Should I be worried?

Opinions vary, I personally didn't mind the ending. I didn't find it very satisfying but then again I couldn't think of an ending that would have satisfied me. Song of Susannah is by far the worst book of the series so if you like that you should like the final book.

I thought the whole series went very downhill after the 4th book and by the end I just didn't really care. But if you're still enjoying it then that's great.

#790 Peacefield

Peacefield

Welcome to Robot Club

• Supporter
  • 6,293 posts
  • Reading now?:A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:29 PM

I haven't read a ton of King's work since his old stuff, but I did enjoy Under the Dome and my favorite by far was Joyland.  I was underwhelmed by Dr. Sleep and only really enjoyed one of the short stories in Full Dark, No Stars.  I haven't read Revival, Mr. Mercedes or the one about JFK.

Pre-It, I loved it all@ :D

#791 Karsa Orlong

Karsa Orlong

Avid Reader

• Advanced Member
  • 7,158 posts
  • Reading now?:Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge
  • LocationOn my ship the Rocinante, wheeling through the galaxies

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:45 PM

Pre-It, I loved it all@ :D

Pretty much sums up my feelings, too!  :smile:

#792 timebug

timebug

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationDerby U.K.

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:32 AM

I have liked all of King's novels, on different levels. I think I have

read all of his works, and the earlier 'instant scare' stuff is fine

for what it is,whilst to me, the later books explore more of the

turmoil in 'ordinary life'?. Certainly from his perspective,as an

author who must be deluged with crank 'fan mail' and all kinds

of weirdness, from people who identify with his various 'screwed

up' characters?

#793 mirandashell

mirandashell

Settling In

• PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:51 PM

IMO, the quality went down when he stopped drinking.  Which is a damn shame as he had to stop or die.

#794 The Bibliophagus Beagle

The Bibliophagus Beagle

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Reading now?:Look to Windward
  • LocationNear Bolton, Lancashire

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:56 PM

A lovely couple of friends recently bought me 'Nightmares and Dreamscapes' as a birthday gift. I've seen a few posts which doff-the-cap towards this short story compilation, which is nice and encouraging.

I hope I will enjoy it as much as some of you have.

#795 JustJackTheLad

JustJackTheLad

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:04 AM

Currently reading IT. Only quite early on but quite enjoying it so far. Tried reading The Dark Tower series before and never even got halfway into the first one, just wasn't enjoying it. Then tried The Shining and wasn't enjoying that either (might need to give that another go!)

But this one seems good, but bloody long!! Have any of you read it? If so, did the timelines confuse you at all?

#796 muggle not

muggle not

Not A Muggle

• Supporter
  • 3,141 posts
  • Reading now?:No Man's Land - David Baldacci
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:26 AM

"IT" is probably my favorite Stephen King book. Of course that probably doesn't mean much as I also liked The Dark Tower series.

Quite a few years back I was driving (sightseeing) through the "boondocks' of Maine and drove through a small town North-West of Bangor, Maine that reminded of the town in "IT". The small river running through the town gave me the willies.

Edited by muggle not, 06 March 2017 - 01:27 AM.

#797 bobblybear

bobblybear

Too many books!!

• Supporter
  • 5,047 posts
  • Reading now?:Grunt - Mary Roach

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:24 PM

I loved IT and have read it a couple of times. I plan on re-reading it this year. I don't recall being too confused by the timelines as one is when the characters are kids and the other ones is when they are adults.

My other favourite is The Stand, and I can't recommend it highly enough....especially if you are enjoying IT.

I have mixed feelings about The Dark Tower. The first two books are difficult, the next two were very good and the rest were just ok. :dunno: I do want to read it again though, to see if I enjoy it more this time around.

#798 katie230193

katie230193

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Reading now?:Revival Stephen King
  • LocationLondon

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:10 PM

I'm reading Revival, I'm enjoying it but it is slow at the beginning. I also have "Bazaar of bad dreams" "Cell" and "Pet cemetery"

I loved the film of "it" and would like to read the book sometime "Carrie" and "Firestarter" were also good.

Well it's raining and cold, so I'm going to make a hot chocolate and read :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users