Stephen King

Michelle

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Stand is certainly good, but it's not my favourite. :roll: I read most of his when I was younger, so I can't remember details, but when I re-read The Shining not long ago, I really enjoyed that. My absolute favourite, however, is The Long Walk.

Ooh, well it's each to there own I suppose. I haven't read any of them, so was just wondering peoples different opinions, I'll be sure to try most of them out, eventually.

I haven't got any stephen king books or read any yet, my boyfriend loves him and i keep meaning to read his but seeing as i can't stop buying books of my own its not anytime soon:

want to read: carrie, salems lot, pet semetary and duma key -> i picked up my boyfriends copy of duma key one night and didnt realise he hadnt read it himself, started talking about how good it seemed (read a few pages) and he went mental because i had started reading before him ;) i suppose i'd be the same, it got him reading it sooner than probably otherwise.

The two I remember reading are Gerald's Game and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon was pretty blah, not overly scary, just about a girl who wanders off when hiking with her family and gets lost. Gerald's Game left a mark though, I still remember one specific scene when she's trying to get out of the handcuffs, still makes me shudder!

Gerald's Game left a mark though, I still remember one specific scene when she's trying to get out of the handcuffs, still makes me shudder!

I know exactly which scene you mean. *shudder*

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon was pretty blah, not overly scary, just about a girl who wanders off when hiking with her family and gets lost.

I think it is a bit scary though - while I was reading it, I kind of got into her mind and could understand why she was scared and saw things from her point of view.

I had never read any of Stephen King's books until I came on the BCF and decided to dip my toe in the water with The Stand. I thought it was fantastic and I couldn't wait to keep picking it up. I have just bought another one now - Hearts in Atlantis .

My stepdaughter is a fan and has loads of his books, I will probably borrow more off her in the future.

I agree! (concerning The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon) I read it a while ago and on the surface it doesn't seem frightening, but when you really start to get into it and the mindset of the girl and thinking about how you'd feel in that situation, it does play with your head. I really liked the book looking back, quite a simple idea but very well written.

Stephen King is one of my favourite authors and i've read a lot of his work, just about to finish The Dark Tower series for the second time (only about 250 pages of the last book to go) it's absolutely amazing, i love the characters so much. It's so many genres and ideas rolled into one too xD

• 2 weeks later...

I started reading Stephen King books when I was about 14 (over 20 years ago). I had a clear out 5 years ago when we moved house and as I hadn't read his books for a while I gave them all to a charity shop. I regret it now and have been trying to get hold of his books again but have managed to get a lot from charity shops/book swap sites and ebay.

I'm looking forward to reading The Shining again as I remember it scared me a lot when I read it the first time.

I started reading Stephen King books when I was about 14 (over 20 years ago).

I read his books around that age as well (15 or 16 years ago in my case). I remember the book list I had to keep for my GCSE English consisted mostly of his work. I was told to read something else, but then I listed the ones he wrote as Richard Bachman and that seemed to appease my English teacher.

I suppose part of his appeal is his style of writing. He uses language that easily draws you in. I stopped reading his work after The Plant - the book he was serialising over the internet. Tastes change; I don't see myself reading any of his books ever again, although I can still appreciate the appeal of his early works.

I'm looking forward to reading The Shining again as I remember it scared me a lot when I read it the first time.

I can't believe that with all the times I've watched the movie (which I love, it's one of my favorite movies), I've never read this book. Is it well recommended? I hear nothing but great things about it.

I can't believe that with all the times I've watched the movie (which I love, it's one of my favorite movies), I've never read this book. Is it well recommended? I hear nothing but great things about it.

Which version? If the Kubrick one, the book has more detail, and I believe (it's AGES since I saw the film) that some parts are different. I'm sure the book is scarier. :blush:

There are a few amazing scenes which Kubrick didn't touch. Like the beehive thing and the really freaky maze hedge animal scene. There's some cool things in the book. For me personally, the novel is much scarier as like, we see how the hotel uses Jack's own weaknesses against him and encourage his descent into madness. Whereas in the film, his troubles and background are only hinted at, meaning we can blame the supernatural elements. It's the whole thing about the monsters being real and something human.

There are a few amazing scenes which Kubrick didn't touch. Like the ... really freaky maze hedge animal scene.

That's probably the scariest part of the book for me! I was very disappointed he didn't do it properly.

I also vaguely remember King saying that he didn't like Nicholson's performance, as he came across as though he was mad from the beginning.

But you can't beat the book, you get so much more involved in everything.