Stephen King

Michelle

That's the only book I've read by him though. I would be interested in reading others but I'm not overly keen on horror books so I guess I should look elsewhere? Haha! ;) Unless there is something else by him that you guys would recommend?

Salem's Lot! Vampires! YAY! Not Edwards Cullens, they are Dracula vamps, but its not a scary book, not in my opinion. Its just like a modern day dracula, which I liked.

:P:she: Apart from the not scary bit! I read it in my teens and it scared the bejaysus outta me! Roxi you gotta bigger set of ...nerves than I do! :lol:

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:P;) Apart from the not scary bit! I read it in my teens and it scared the bejaysus outta me! Roxi you gotta bigger set of ...nerves than I do! :she:

The word is 'balls' dear. 'Balls.' Altogether now. :lol:

I only read it like a month ago though!! :D

oooooo, until reading this thread I had forgotten about the 'different seasons' - amazing stuff.

I am another one who has 'Bag of Bones' on the shelf and am now tempted to add 'The Stand'. I have yet to read either.

I am not the biggest fan of his stories but I am one of his greatest fans of 'Stephen King the writer' ifykwim. When I try new (to me) authors/books and have been let down I can pick up any SK and think ...wow.

Ahhhhh..... so many books and so little time.

I used to read a lot of Stephen King - I've read: Carrie, Salem's Lot, The Shining, Night Shift, The Stand, The Dead Zone, Firestarter, Cujo, Danse Macabre, Roadwork, Different Seasons, Christine, Pet Sematary, Skeleton Crew, It, Misery, Four Past Midnight, Needful Things, Gerald's Game, & Dolores Claiborne - but I haven't read anything of his since then - Delores Clairborne was published in 2003, so it's been 16 years since I've read a Stephen King book! Where did that time go?

I hated Bag of Bones so much that I can't even remember what it was about, and that's unusual for me. If anyone mentions it, all I think is "that was a load of :), but I liked the bit with the fridge magnets". Am I thinking of the right book when I talk about the fridge magnets? Maybe I should re-read B of B to see it I like it better second time round...

I quite liked Bag of Bones, actually :)

Me too. I read Bag of Bones, Desperation and Dreamcatcher all around the same time and enjoyed them all.

Anyone know which King book 'The sparrows are flying' line is from? can't remmember. Was about an author with split personality i think.

Me too. I read Bag of Bones, Desperation and Dreamcatcher all around the same time and enjoyed them all.

Anyone know which King book 'The sparrows are flying' line is from? can't remmember. Was about an author with split personality i think.

I think it's The Dark Half?

You could try Different Seasons, Ben - it's a collection of four novellas - his best ones, in my opinion! If you wanted to try a novel though, you could do worse than to start with his first - Carrie. Or, if you fancied something completely chilling, try The Shining. Once you feel up to it, I highly recommend getting hold of the complete and unabridged version of The Stand - it's his magnus opus (or, as Baldrick would say, his magnificent octopus) and one of my all-time favourite books.

You could try Different Seasons, Ben - it's a collection of four novellas - his best ones, in my opinion! If you wanted to try a novel though, you could do worse than to start with his first - Carrie. Or, if you fancied something completely chilling, try The Shining. Once you feel up to it, I highly recommend getting hold of the complete and unabridged version of The Stand - it's his magnus opus (or, as Baldrick would say, his magnificent octopus) and one of my all-time favourite books.

Thank you Kell. :lol:

i would say Pet Sematry or Misery, they seem to be ones that most people like, The Stand is his best book by far i think but its huge, the copy i read was 1400 pages it might be a bit much for someones first time. sorry if that sounds patronising i really didnt mean it that way

It's ok, I understand. I am a big reader though, and I'm sure that once I got into it I could manage to get through The Stand. :lol: Thanks for the advice though guys!

It's ok, I understand. I am a big reader though, and I'm sure that once I got into it I could manage to get through The Stand. :roll: Thanks for the advice though guys!

I am having something of a Stephen King revival. I didnt read any of his work for years, but I finally read The Stand and was blown away by it. I followed that with The Green Mile (Fantastic) and am now enjoying Duma Key. I think the slow burn to his stories that used to put me off a few years back now pulls me in.

Favourite King books:

The Stand

The Dead Zone

The Green Mile

Pet Semetary

Bag Of Bones