Stephen King

Michelle

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just finished Lisey's Story, and wasn't too impressed (I preferred Blaze, to be honest). I just couldn't really take to the character of Lisey (or any of the characters, for that matter), and it wasn't until about three quarters through the book that I began to care a little about Lisey.

What really drove me mad though, were the made up words - "smuck" and "bool" being the main offenders - and Lisey's sisters' names! Trivial I know, but they just grated.

I did love

the parallel world of Boo'ya Moon - I found it quite fascinating and would have liked to have seen more of the book take place there.

All in all, not one of my favourite Kings at all.

• 1 year later...

Evening all :D

I have been an avid Stephen King reader for many years, but is it only me that, since Buick 8, the standard of his books are going downhill?

I have read elsewhere that some of the books published under his name are in fact the works of his wife Tabitha - this, if true, may explain things.

I remember the days when I would get through one of his books in three evenings because they are that good you get the 'one more chapter' thing going on where you can't put the book down.

I always thought of him as a brilliant horror / thriller writer but haven't picked up his books (I have a stack left to read) for a while.

Saying that I did get Duma Key for Christmas that after a quick read of the summary seems that he may be shifting back on track.

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't me going mad :D

Edited by Michelle
merged with existing thread

I was a huge King fan (and still am i think) but have'nt really been able to get into some of his recent novels. I thought it was maybe my tastes changing rather than the quality of his work.

Desparation is one of my fav books though will have to read again one day.

I have been an avid Stephen King reader for many years, but is it only me that, since Buick 8, the standard of his books are going downhill?

I agree. I didn't really like Dreamcatcher, Lisey's Story, Bag of Bones, From a Buick 8... I started Duma Key but put it to one side very early to read other things and haven't got back to it yet. His earlier stuff is much better.

I have read elsewhere that some of the books published under his name are in fact the works of his wife Tabitha - this, if true, may explain things.

I don't think this is the case as I'd know King's style anywhere. I could even pick out the bits he'd written in his collaborations with Peter Straub! As far as I know, Tabitha gets her own books published anyway.

No, I think he's just not as good as he used to be.

i have read a lot of his books and think he will be remembered as a great great writer, he has had a lot of barren spells i think desperation, rose red, and insomnia were bad but then he came back with bag of bones which i loved, i recently read duma key which he bought out last year i thought it was his best for at least 15 years

In all fairness to him he has had a phenomenal career threw out which he has churned out mountains of books a large amount of which are cult classics and appear on a lot of peoples top ten ,

Not bad for an alcoholic, cocaine addict who got mashed almost to death by a van :D

ps

Personally I am a big fan of his books that where made into films I love to watch the early ones like pet cemetery if you keep an eve out you can spot him in some of them

he has had a lot of barren spells i think desperation, rose red, and insomnia were bad but then he came back with bag of bones which i loved

I quite liked Desperation. Insomnia was strange, because I didn't like it the first time round, but when I re-read it I loved it, and I don't often change my first opinion of a book. I absolutely loathed Bag of Bones.

Duma Key was definitely a slight return to form, but I've always felt that his real talent lies in short story writing. Just After Sunset is near the top of my TBR list and I can hardly wait!

I adore Stephen King - I can't say I would read everything he does as I don't like fantasy so The Dark Tower series are a no-no for me. His horror though I can get lost in forever and I can happily re-read his books.

A lot of his more recent work I'm yet to read as I've become so engrossed in other authors over the past couple of years. I will get round to them though!:D

I agree with the previous person (sorry I can't remember who:blush:) who said The Green Mile was one of the best book to screen adaptations ever. I did think the book still surpassed the film, but that is nothing new and the film was still fantastic - just not as good. I also thought The Shawshank Redemption was a lot better having been built on to become the film, but as a short story it was still great.

There have been some of his books/short stories that I don't think have carried over so well to the screen - namely Rose Red and Cat's Eyes to name but two and I also thought the screen version of The TommyKnockers left a lot to be desired although the TV adaptations of Nightmares and Dreamscapes was great in my opinion. I think someone like Stephen King will always work better on paper as you can lend your imagination to his work rather than it being 'laid out in front of you' the way it is on TV or a film.

One of my personal favourites of Stephen Kings is Bag of Bones. I think there was an element of sadness and loss to this story in a way that there often isn't in a lot of his other books (not that they're any the worse off for it).

I do remember reading Desperation and not realising he was using the same characters and names, just mixed up, in The Regulators, which totally threw me as I attempted to read them back to back! I had to leave The Regulators for a good 6 months so Desperation had died in my memory a little!:D

For all that I have a lot of favourite authors and for all I follow their work, I think Stephen King has an incredible talent and is a fantastic storyteller. He weaves the story in such a way that you can't fail to be pulled in and get lost in the myriad of tales and fear. He is the writer so many people want to emulate - not just his success but also his talent.

One of my personal favourites of Stephen Kings is Bag of Bones. I think there was an element of sadness and loss to this story in a way that there often isn't in a lot of his other books (not that they're any the worse off for it).

I have this on my bookshelf waiting TBR but for some reason I keep putting it off ... I always chose something else over it, which is strange because I usually like Stephen King. :D

I wasn't impressed with the storyline in Bag of Bones, but I thought his writing was fantastic. It was a weird feeling to not enjoy the plot, but just revel in the words!

I agree with the previous person (sorry I can't remember who:blush:) who said The Green Mile was one of the best book to screen adaptations ever. I did think the book still surpassed the film, but that is nothing new and the film was still fantastic - just not as good.

I said that in another thread, I personally think the book and the film are on par with each other. Both fantastic!

That's the only book I've read by him though. I would be interested in reading others but I'm not overly keen on horror books so I guess I should look elsewhere? Haha! :D Unless there is something else by him that you guys would recommend?