Stephen King

Michelle

^I loved Insomnia too, though a lot of people didn't enjoy it. Rose Madder is another good one. I definately prefer his earlier stuff, but I'll always give anything he writes a go. I'd love to re-read alot of his books, as many of them I read when I was a teenager, and have forgotten about. :D

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So whats the deal with the Stand and its unabridged and abridged versions? Why is there more than one?

I've only read Dolores Claiborne but quite enjoyed it. Was quite short and easy reading though no chapters just a single blob so its hard to know when to stop :D

I'd really like to read the Stand though the length is daunting.

I'd also like to try IT but think it might be too scary (and long)

And I quite fancy giving misery a go.

The only King I have read was Needful Things, and I havent read another of his since. Unfortunately it didnt really do anything for me, it was okay, but I had imagened that reading a Stephen King book would leave me shaking in my slippers, but it didnt.

The book itself was all tattered and torn too, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I will read another Stephen King eventually Im sure.:D

I love IT , its my favourite king and although it is a bit long and jumps about a bit its definatly worth it.

Never quite got round to the stand , i think i have it sitting on a shelf somewhere though so mayb il finally read it this summer

• 2 weeks later...
I am watching The Langoliers on Sci Fi at the moment
I've been watching The Stand on Thursday nights. It's preceded by Nightmares and Dreamscapes. Sci-fi are having a bit of a Stephen King-fest at the moment...

I am going to vacation up in maine sometime in September. Hope that I have time to visit the locales of many of his books. Th last time I was in Maine I got an eerie feeling when driving in areas where his books took place.

Hi there, I am new to BCF and you all sound a great crowd. Have any of you read "Cell" by Stephen King? I caught an excerpt in a newspaper when it first came out and found it rivetting, but I have never got round to actually getting the book. Never read Stephen King before.:lol:

I've read Cell. Wasn't all that impressed with it really, though I am a Stephen King fan. The premise was interesting, and it started off great, but then it just dwindled into your average "zombie horror story" IMO.

For a great introduction to Stephen King, I'd have to suggest The Stand. :lol:

For a great introduction to Stephen King, I'd have to suggest The Stand. :)

Yes I have The Stand on my bookshelf, however I am building myself up to it as it is huge!!!! Definately a doorstop! I don't think I have ever seen a book that big! :lol:

Yes I have The Stand on my bookshelf, however I am building myself up to it as it is huge!!!! Definately a doorstop! I don't think I have ever seen a book that big! :lol:

Oh, you have to read it! :) The size of it is intimidating, but it's such a gripping and relatively easy read, that you will probably fly through it. Just great storytelling, and utterly compelling. ;)

hi -nici- angerball is right- the stand is such a great book- once you start reading it you'll get caught up in it- dont let the size get to you- it really is a great book and in my humble opinion the best thing that he's written- carm

Hi there, I am new to BCF and you all sound a great crowd. Have any of you read "Cell" by Stephen King? I caught an excerpt in a newspaper when it first came out and found it rivetting, but I have never got round to actually getting the book. Never read Stephen King before.:lol:

My review is here. As you can see, I don't rate it as one of his best.

i agree with you michelle- the cell was ok nothing great- i think what makes the stand, well, stand out for me is that there is depth of character and plot in that book- carm

ps. you're welcome nici

The Stand is my all-time favourite, but I was disappointed with Cell. What did everyone make of the ending? I think a sequel is a possibility.

I've not read Cell yet, but I have to agree with the others about The Stand - it's well worth the 1000+ pages of the completer and unabridged edition. I'm another one who rates it as one of my all time favourite books - not just of horror/chillers either - of all genres! I really do believe it to be King's masterpiece.

I have all of SK's books and The Stand is a long way ahead of the others, but I do have a soft spot for his short stories and novellas - Skeleton Crew and Four Past Midnight are espcially worth checking out.

A real treat on the novella collection side of things is Different Seasons - three of the stories within have been made into films, (The Body - which became Stand By Me; Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption - which became The Shawshank Redemption; and The Apt Pupil - which kept it's original title) and the fourth story, The Breathing Method, isn't too shoddy either.

I've seen Stand By Me and The Shawshank Redemption and was pleasantly surprised. Come to think of it, I've been quite impressed with a few film adaptations. The Green Mile was excellently done. Many people may disagree, but I was also impressed with Christine.

I did enjoy 'Cell' but I thought the ending was a bit rushed in all honesty, but there was potential for a sequel x

Thought you guys might like this: Which Stephen King Book Are You?

I got: What Stephen King Bo

The Stand

3748The%20Stand.jpg

The novel of your life is the end of everything, after a flu epidemic that you find yourself unable to receive (?) you attempt to bring civilization back and stop the devil himself.

Well, whaddaya know? My favourite! I'm not awfully sure about the comment attached to it (hence the question mark I stuck in there), but what the hey?