Stephen King

Michelle

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stephen king is without doubt one of my favourite authors. I think most of his novels have a magical quality to them, which most authors can only dream of carrying out.I think my Favourie King book would have to be Green Mile, I also really like the film. The Shining and IT follow closely behind.The next King book I am going to read will be Bag Of Bones as I have heard good things about it. I also really want to read The Stand.Its really difficult to get your head round how many great novels Stephen King has written.

• 4 months later...

Bag of Bones was good There are SO many good Stephen King books though it's hard to make a list- I think mine changes all the time

The Stand (full version) stays at the top though!

Full Moon, Dark Stars was great so I question the thought that only the old Stephen King's are good. I used to struggle with the start of his books - but persevered because I knew once I'd paid my dues at the start I'd be swept away by the story. From Pet Semetary onwards that was no longer a problem - I don't know whether I changed or his style changed?

Under the Dome I really enjoyed as another recent one

I really like the way the "Constant Reader" is rewarded in many of his books

The Dark Half - that's another one that I loved. I still get shivers when I see "the sparrows are flying" OK, the other day it was crows at work but they still gave me the willies thanks to that book!!!!!!

And Gerald's Game - who could forget Gerald's Game

YOU SEE WHAT YOU'VE STARTED - AHhhhhhhhhhhh the choices!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Ali

I'm glad you like Stephen King so much . I know he has a huge following of fans. I didn't mean to sound as if the beginning ones were better. I read few back then,because maybe my tastes in books was a little different then . He is definitely talented and I do like the way he connects with his fans. I love watching his interviews. He sounds like such a very nice guy with a really neat sense of humor .

I've seen many people have The Stand listed on their all time favorite books ,so it must be really good .

I really didn't like to storyline to Bag of Bones, but I loved reading it just for his writing style. Stephen King is one of those authors who can really pull you into a book which, if it was written by anybody else, you wouldn't have cared for at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Sorry if there is a separate thread for this book,but thought I'd place the question here .

I just bought Under the Dome today. and was wondering if any of you have read it and what rating you'd give it ?

It sure is a whopper of a book !

hi julie,I read this a few months back and thought it was brilliant,for me it read very much like the King's early works.Despite its mammoth size I found it fast paced and I flew through it despite not being a very fast reader myself. The book kicks right off from the get go and doesnt let up really.I would easily give it 9/10,but them I'm a King freak so please take that into account lol.

Simon

Thanks Simon & Bobbly --

Good to hear such good reports about the book. That will definitely get bumped up quickly . I'm reading a slimmer book now,and hoping to get one more in before the new year so I can add it to my 2011 total.

Then I can start out the 2012 Year with a Whopper of a book . I'll drop in and tell you how I like it on down the road . :)

Your welcome julie,I'm sure your going to enjoy the book and looking forward to your comments when you have read it.

Thanks also Bobbly,I tend to get a bit of tunnel vision when it comes to Mr King...a bit like supporting your soccer team,they are always the best even when they are not playing well lol.

Simon

I like Stephen King, but I find it a bit difficult to read because he uses a lot of informal expressions and a lot of phrasal verbs, which I don't know the meaning of many of them. :P

I read 'It' and 'Cell' but in Spanish when I was younger. :)

Hi Roy

Yes, King probably does use a lot of slang terms,etc that are common in our country, but maybe not as much there . Have you ever seen him interviewed on tv or online ? He seems like such a really down-to-earth type guy . Not at all what you'd expect from someone as popular as he has become . I find his interviews fascinating, trying to see how his brain works, maybe, and where his ideas all come from .

I have a cousin who is his biggest fan. She has all his first editions ,and has actually been up by his home and taken beautiful photos of it ( of course, from a distance -- it is surrounded by a big wrought-iron fence),which it seems he needs, sadly . I think I heard awhile back that someone actually climbed his fence and was found IN his house one day ...

Must be rough being such a popular person .

Hi Julie,

No, I haven't seen him interviewed, I'll look for a video right now :).

Do you have a favourite book from him?

I do, It's 'It' :), it took me about one year to have it in English, that book is so rare in Mexico.

Hi Roy

I'm not exactly what you'd call a major expert . I have liked everything I've read ,but haven't read anywhere near all his books. I read Carrie and Salem's Lot when I was much younger . I have read Bag of Bones,Hearts in Atlantis , Green Mile ,and the newest ,11/22/63 . I have 3 more of his here unread right now. Lisey's Story , Storm of the Century and Full Dark No Stars .

I THINK I read another of his ,written maybe under another name ? I'm not real sure on this, but it's called The Diary of Ellen ...something .... sorry I can't remember it. I think it is possibly another of his, but I could be wrong. I really liked the way that one was written . I think it was also maybe a TV movie ? I'm not real sure .

I also like the way Stephen King dresses for his interviews. He's usually wearing an old pair of jeans and a t-shirt,so he dresses kinda like I do ,just whatever is comfortable . :)

Hi Julie,

Sorry I didn't see your reply :S

I like Stephen King, :), really it's just that I'm not used with a lot of informal expressions.

I can only say that I loved reading 'It' and Pennywise is the reason I don't like clowns. :S.

Now I'd like to read it again but in English. ^_^

Now that you mention his usually wearing, I have a photo of him and he's using jeans and a T-shirt, yeah, you're right. I haven't seen him wearing another kind of clothes. :)

New to BCF, big fan of Stephen King but only discovered him a few years ago so I've not read too many but the ones I have, I have loved... with one exception, I just finished Song of Sussanah and thought it was a real let down in the series. It barely moves the plot on at all and feels a lot like filler. I know he is famous (and best at) for stories about Maine and writers but when he has a totally imagined world with endless possibilities (as seen in The Waste Lands) he still brings it back to a writer in Maine...I just get the sense that he went to far from his comfort zone and had to go back there. Wondering what other people thought of it....

I have enjoyed the series so far and will be reading the final book soon, but I was certainly disappointed with SoS...to the point that when I read the series again I will quite happily skip it and know I have not missed anything.

In fact I thought the whole series went downhill after Wizard and Glass.

Yeah... to be fair the characters haven't really travelled any where after The Waste Lands... Wizard and Glass was good but didn't progress the story on, which is fine for one novel, especially a good origins story. So after the overly long stall in Wolves of the Calla I was expecting a return to pace... very disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Dolores Claiborne, thought it was very good. The writing is so great and the characters are so vivid that even though the story isn't ground-breaking or in-depth it keeps you hooked completely. I loved the idea of her telling the whole story to the police, her colloquialisms and bluntness are fantastic.

I also just finished the film, thought it was really good, a great adaptation..really true to the book, a few small changes but so much of it was lifted straight from the book. Kathy Bates was brilliant.