Stephen King

Michelle

I like needfull things, its one of his best.

I like how mr kng references Lovecraft in this one as well, IT also gets my vote.

The stand is good, excellent in fact up till the civic meetings, then it turns boring. Same with dreamcatcher, like the plot till the end where mr king decides to take some mind altering drug and disappear off to a tangency.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that have not read the Dark Tower Series I recomennd buying the Box Set of the first 4 books. It has new material in them and has been expanded. I have the Box Set and really enjoyed the books.........From Amazon:

Book Description

Now Available in a box set-the first four Dark Tower Books -- with new material from the author!

The Gunslinger

The Drawing of the Three

The Waste Lands

Wizard and Glass

In this brilliant series, Stephen King introduced readers to one of his most enigmatic heroes, Roland of Gilead, The Last Gunslinger. Roland's quest for the Dark Tower took readers on a wildly epic ride-through parallel worlds and across time. A classic tale of colossal scope-crossing over terrain from The Stand, The Eyes of the Dragon, Insomnia, The Talisman, Black House, Hearts in Atlantis, Salem's Lot, and other familiar King haunts-the adventure took hold with the turn of each page...

In a major publishing event, the quest for the Dark Tower continues in Wolves of the Calla (Volume V), Song of Susannah (Volume VI), and The Dark Tower (Volume VII), coming from Scribner, beginning in November 2003.

Now readers can go back to where it all began with this box set of the first four Dark Tower titles, each featuring a new packaging and new introduction. Plus Book I, The Gunslinger, has been completely revised and expanded throughout.

I loved the Dark Tower series, the first 4 more than the last 3. Thought the ending was a real cop out though.

I quite liked the ending, but I did think he tended to lose it in the last couple, wolves of the Calla and Song of Susannah especially.

I loved the Drawing of the 3 and Wizard and Glass though. But hopefully the last few will read better the second time round

I finally settled on a King book to read, tho I've noticed no one has mentioned it here! That may be good or bad...The Girl that Loved Tom Gordon came highly reccommended to me as a first read by a friend.

Any thoughts?

I haven't started it yet.

Just FYI, her fav was The Stand, tho she hesitated to reccomend it to me as a first read for some reason.

Katherine

I agree with Jo - I very much enjoyed TGWLTG when i read it a few years ago - not overtly horror in the expected sense, but quite tense & very well paced & constructed.

And I think some folks think that The Stand is quite long to recommend for an introduction to King, so it can be quite a daunting prospect, but I truly think it's King's masterpiece. :D

I just can't read SK any more. I read a few of his years ago, one of which was a book of his short stories, it began with a novella....The Fog, and I did enjoy that and Thinner. But I tried about three times to start IT, and couldn't get past the first 10 or 15 pages.

I realize he is tremendously popular but he is just not my cuppa.

Maybe I shouldn't post what can be construed as a negative post for an author, but I........oh phooey! You guys know what I mean. :D

There have been a few King books I didn't enjoy so much - It being one of them & The Tommyknockers being another. I don't tend to be a fan of his novellas & short stories, but I did love 3 of the 4 in Different Seasons which was something of a record for me. Then again, that one book did spawn 3 movies: Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption & The Apt Pupil...

I wasn't keen on Firestarter - bit too government conspiracyish for my taste (that's why I went off the X Files).

If you liked The Green Mile, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon might be a good book to read next - it's another story about people rather than focusing on situations or baddies.

I loved Firestarter - I quite like the government conspiracy thing and love reading about people with paranormal powers such as telekinesis etc. I liked the film too, Drew Barrymore did a fantastic job as Charlie. Of course, I realise that all this puts me in a minority!

I loved Firestarter - I quite like the government conspiracy thing and love reading about people with paranormal powers such as telekinesis etc. I liked the film too, Drew Barrymore did a fantastic job as Charlie. Of course, I realise that all this puts me in a minority!

I quite liked Firestarter too - I just read it last year. I've never seen the film though.

In a word, yes. Read it. :D
I agree - The Stand remains one of my faves, not just of Stephen King's books, but of all the books I've read. In my opinion, it's the most complete of King's novels & it warrants it being that bit longer than his others as you get such in-depth character study - you feel you know the people involved. To top it all off, it's an excellent story too. Definitely worth a read!