Stephen King

Michelle

Yeah, i can't understand why Kubrick left that part out! He could really have played with the viewers. I also read that King got a couple of random phone calls from him after midnight, where he asked him strange questions like if he believed in ghosts or the afterlife haha!

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stephen King will no be impressed with me at the moment. I've been stuck on Cell for around 4 days or more I think. It's not that I aren't enjoying it, I think it's very good, just that I'm reading less recently.. lost my mojo.

I don't understand why some people don't like Stephen King... I was talking to a writer who said he was trying to be better than he is or something, trying to get more recognition than he deserved :D it just sounded like jealousy to me. I absolutely love Stephen King and no-one can tell me he isn't good!

I appreciate that he's a great storyteller, and some of his critics acknowledge this fact. The thing they seem to have a problem with is the way he writes, which isn't really an issue for most readers, but is for some.

What made me stop reading his books was that I was left feeling underwhelmed at the end of each book (not the ones he wrote as Richard Bachman, though). They're easy to read and seem like good books at the time, which is what matters (at the time), but for me those books are only vaguely memorable. I can look back and say which books I enjoyed. I'd even recommend a few of those titles to people, However, if I were to read them again, I'm likely to come to the conclusion that they weren't as great as I originally thought them to be.

I think the best books are the ones that involve as little as the supernatural as possible. I remember enjoying Gerald's Game and Misery, and two of the books he wrote as Richard Bachman: The Long Walk and The Running Man. Then there are the novellas he wrote: Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption, Apt Pupil, and The Body. The Shining is worth a read. I'd be hesitant about recommending IT, which I found so-so. Then there's The Stand...

The Stand is a book that divides opinion and it seems that you either love it or hate it. I'm going to speak up for the people who bought The Stand and hated it by quoting Blackadder: "I just think that more could be achieved by giving them some real toilet-paper."

I have just finished read Cujo and it was my first book without chapters in it. This was amazing the whole story told in one go as as it was such a good book it was difficult to put down. I'd recommend this book to all Stephen King lovers.

I have just finished read Cujo and it was my first book without chapters in it. This was amazing the whole story told in one go as as it was such a good book it was difficult to put down. I'd recommend this book to all Stephen King lovers.

You know, I don't think I even noticed it didn't have chapters! :D

I have read the following:

It

The Green Mile

'Salem's Lot

The Dead Zone

Hearts in Atlantis

Christine

Pet Sematary

Carrie

Cujo

Nightshift

Dreamcatcher

The Stand

Misery

Rose Madder

Dolores Claiborne

Four Past Midnight

My favorites of these are 'Salem's Lot;The Shining; and The Dead Zone.

I wasn't crazy about The Stand, and I hated Dreamcatchers.

I think Stephen King is a master at reaching the deep-seated fears of people and transforming them into frightening stories. With two exceptions, I've enjoyed being terrified by all of King's novels that I've read.

Yay, a couple of us here love 'Salem's Lot' so i'm sure you'll be able to discuss it xD I personally love The Shining too. Has anyone read 'Just After Sunset' yet? It's a collection of short stories. I enjoyed a lot from 'Nightmares and Dreamscapes' such as i think it was Dolan's Cadillac.

I've read everything King has ever wrote.

My all time favourite books from the master have got to be the Dark Tower novels, I must have read all seven books at least seven times over.

I guess I must be a little obsessed. I've also read The Stand 5 times IT 3 times and the rest at least twice.

It's his ability to pull you into the story that amazes me, one minuit I've sat down to read the next 5 hours have past.

It might sound strange but I actually feel im living the story my living world dissapears and im in the story, very few writers have that story telling ability,Dickins was one.

You may think reading this that Stephen King was the only writer I read,not so.

I like every thing from the Brontes to Harlan Coben. BOOKS ROCK

Edited by Nici
Capitals added

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone read Misery? It's one of my favourite novels and i constantly re-read it. The fact that it's in such a confined setting yet so compelling is brilliant and i love how it doesn't rely on far-fetched or supernatural elements, King really does understand fear and Annie Wilkes is one of the most disturbing creations ever. There are some absolutely unforgettable moments. I love this story :)

The Shining is by far my favorite King novel, followed very closely by his short stories in Night Shift and Different Seasons. I read him constantly while I was in high school, but haven't read a lot since. I know his recent work was a collection of short stories so I may have to try to get back into him...

I really love Misery and Carrie too - Carrie was one of the first King books I read actually.

I know a lot of people aren't keen on it, but I really loved Bag of Bones. I actually got really swept along by it. I also really loved The Green Mile - Jodi Picoults Change of Heart had echoes of The Green Mile I felt although it wasn't in the same vein (if that makes any sense?)

Stevie was one of my first favourite authors, i.e. ones I'd borrow from the school library on the strength of their name alone. I remember being 11 or so and being made to return a half-read copy of "IT" as my mum deemed it unsuitable; between one thing and another, I have not picked it up since. Through the years, my favourites have been:

- "Carrie", because somehow this man seems to know exactly what it feels to be a bullied teenage girl. Beautifully written, heart-breaking, terrifying for the abysses of human nature it exposes more than for the actual "horrific" ending (am I the only one who cheered Carrie on?).

- "Misery", because it's one of those rare books that chill without any recourse to actual supernatural elements. Great bit of mind-toying, plus I think King is at his most eloquent when he talks about fellow writers.

- "The Dark Half", unsurprisingly enough also about a writer. My copy is in absolute tatters. Features one of the best showdowns, like, ever. It also seems to have given me a phobia of birds, which is literary influence if ever I saw one.

- "Christine", because there's something so silly it's genius about a car who's alive, female, jealous, and on a killing rampage.

Edited by BookJumper

Has anyone read Misery? It's one of my favourite novels and i constantly re-read it. The fact that it's in such a confined setting yet so compelling is brilliant and i love how it doesn't rely on far-fetched or supernatural elements, King really does understand fear and Annie Wilkes is one of the most disturbing creations ever. There are some absolutely unforgettable moments. I love this story :D

Misery is without a doubt my favourite King novel. It's just genius! I too love the way he just pushes the levels of sadistic......the sledgehammer scene! Dear me! :lol:

Misery is without a doubt my favourite King novel. It's just genius! I too love the way he just pushes the levels of sadistic......the sledgehammer scene! Dear me! :lol:

Misery was my absolute King favorite in my teens, I used to underline the best bits, my copy is full of pencil marks. (I don't know whether I'd still like it, I haven't read it in ages) You're right Nicola, the sledgehammer scene is just awful but oh so memorable.

I also liked the way King managed to create suspense for pages with just the simplest things: Sheldon with the hairclip (hairpin?) at the door, Annie's walking up to her house...

This is making me want to read Misery :D

I think I'm one of the few that really likes "Carrie". I love that book.

I thought Carrie was great! I read it years ago and liked it. :lol:

I know a lot of people aren't keen on it, but I really loved Bag of Bones. I actually got really swept along by it.

I've tried to read this twice and each time I got about 3 chapters in and gave up :lol:. It won't beat me though!!

One of my favourite SK novels was Pet Semetry. It scared the bejaysus out of me! :lol: I couldn't look at my aunts cat in the same light again :D

Edited by Charm