Stephen King

Michelle

Stephen King is my favourite author hands down. Started reading his books when i was a kid and have read them all. Favourites would be 11/22/63, surprised it took him so long to write a time travel story. The Stand, loved the post apocalyptic setting. Pet Sematary, Dark Tower series was brilliant, wish there was more. Cell, Misery loved the film as well, Needful Things, i could keep going on. Although i read Joyland last month and didnt really enjoy it that much. Just waiting for Doctor Sleep to come next!

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favourites would be 11/22/63, surprised it took him so long to write a time travel story.

I completely agree with all you said about King, he's my favorite too, always so exciting! But Have you read the short story in Skeleton Crew's; "The Jaunt"?

That was sort of a time-traveling story. Different than 11/22/63 of course but did base in a time-traveling world. 

• 3 weeks later...

im going to start from the beginning of his works again after ive read the talisman as i havent read that yet. Just finished Carrie again and its amazing how King can make u sympathize with character even though she killed so many people (at least i did anyway)

• 2 years later...

I hope you guys don't mind my posting... I know this is a book forum, but there's something I learned today about Stephen King. It was on Abby's feed and as a dog fan I can't help but share! :blush:

Yeah I saw that on his Twitter, very funny!

Has anyone else read Revival? I've just finished it and thought it was borderline awful, some good characters as always but just really dull story that felt like a padded out novella

Has anyone else read Revival? I've just finished it and thought it was borderline awful, some good characters as always but just really dull story that felt like a padded out novella

That pretty much sums up all of his post-Misery output that I've read, I have to say.  I enjoyed the characters' stories in Revival but the ending was atrocious.

Yeah I saw that on his Twitter, very funny!

I couldn't finish Revival, I got a couple of chapters in and had to put it down. I've never done that with an SK book before...Intrigued by Finders Keepers, yet to read it. My first was Tommy Knockers, I was 10. As you can imagine it was terrifying. My favourite was and still is Christine. Currently reading the Dark Tower Series, I have heard some alarming things about the ending...makes me a little worried about finishing it. Without revealing anything...how is the ending?

Cheers,

Shelfy

... unconventional.

Hmm, see now that is what bothers me...I have only ever not finished one of his books and he seems to have this thing about not giving happy endings. I mean Doctor Sleep? Cujo?

I am loving the Dark Tower series though.. it is very easy to get into. Should I be worried?

Shelfy

Hmm, see now that is what bothers me...I have only ever not finished one of his books and he seems to have this thing about not giving happy endings. I mean Doctor Sleep? Cujo?

I am loving the Dark Tower series though.. it is very easy to get into. Should I be worried?

Opinions vary, I personally didn't mind the ending. I didn't find it very satisfying but then again I couldn't think of an ending that would have satisfied me. Song of Susannah is by far the worst book of the series so if you like that you should like the final book.

I thought the whole series went very downhill after the 4th book and by the end I just didn't really care. But if you're still enjoying it then that's great.

I haven't read a ton of King's work since his old stuff, but I did enjoy Under the Dome and my favorite by far was Joyland.  I was underwhelmed by Dr. Sleep and only really enjoyed one of the short stories in Full Dark, No Stars.  I haven't read Revival, Mr. Mercedes or the one about JFK.

Pre-It, I loved it all@ :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have liked all of King's novels, on different levels. I think I have

read all of his works, and the earlier 'instant scare' stuff is fine

for what it is,whilst to me, the later books explore more of the

turmoil in 'ordinary life'?. Certainly from his perspective,as an

author who must be deluged with crank 'fan mail' and all kinds

of weirdness, from people who identify with his various 'screwed

up' characters?

• 9 months later...

A lovely couple of friends recently bought me 'Nightmares and Dreamscapes' as a birthday gift. I've seen a few posts which doff-the-cap towards this short story compilation, which is nice and encouraging.

I hope I will enjoy it as much as some of you have.

• 5 months later...

Currently reading IT. Only quite early on but quite enjoying it so far. Tried reading The Dark Tower series before and never even got halfway into the first one, just wasn't enjoying it. Then tried The Shining and wasn't enjoying that either (might need to give that another go!)

But this one seems good, but bloody long!! Have any of you read it? If so, did the timelines confuse you at all?

"IT" is probably my favorite Stephen King book. Of course that probably doesn't mean much as I also liked The Dark Tower series.

Quite a few years back I was driving (sightseeing) through the "boondocks' of Maine and drove through a small town North-West of Bangor, Maine that reminded of the town in "IT". The small river running through the town gave me the willies.

Edited by muggle not

• 2 weeks later...

I loved IT and have read it a couple of times. I plan on re-reading it this year. I don't recall being too confused by the timelines as one is when the characters are kids and the other ones is when they are adults.

My other favourite is The Stand, and I can't recommend it highly enough....especially if you are enjoying IT.

I have mixed feelings about The Dark Tower. The first two books are difficult, the next two were very good and the rest were just ok. :dunno: I do want to read it again though, to see if I enjoy it more this time around.

I'm reading Revival, I'm enjoying it but it is slow at the beginning. I also have "Bazaar of bad dreams" "Cell" and "Pet cemetery"

I loved the film of "it" and would like to read the book sometime "Carrie" and "Firestarter" were also good.

Well it's raining and cold, so I'm going to make a hot chocolate and read :) 

• 4 months later...

That is a good list!

so far I have read:

Carrie

'Salem's Lot

Christine

Pet Semetary

One For The Road

Autopsy Room Four

In The Deathroom

All That You Love Will Be Carried Away

The Man In The Black Suit

The Death Of Jack Hamilton

I own:

The Shining

Misery

The Green Mile 

• 1 month later...

Its difficult to argue with what stephen king offers, from his earliest work, right up until present day, it seems his imagination is somehow always on overtime. No other author can quite match him for the one liners, that line from The Regulators sticks with me,  Thunder rumbled, dark and dangerous,, .........it somehow sums up in just five words a scenario of inclement weather conditions, not just the vision,, but the sound, the whole of it. I sometimes struggle with Kings references to America, given I am from the UK, its not always easy to relate to baseball, a buick 8 car, etc, but all in all. I had my doubts about 11.22.63, and I still arent really sure a fiction writer should emphasize his real world opinions in the epilogue, but hey ho, I suppose he is more qualified than most.