Stephen King

Michelle

My fave books from him is Rose Madder and Langoliers. I'm interested in reading IT but I'm scared I'm going to have nightmares LOL. I'm thinking of reading The Shining. I got excited when I found out at work that there's 2nd book coming out in The Shining series. Wooo!

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the book of The Shining was far, far better than the film (which was good too!); to me, it's one of Stephen King's best books.

Both have their strengths because they were made by unique visionaries, Stephen King was not completely enchanted with Kubricks movie and Kubrick did his thing with a King novel. Both had their own artistic visions that are perhaps unsurpassed............

I do look forward to any King book.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finished reading the Dark Tower series yesterday and I loved it. Going to miss reading about those characters. Wasn't sure what to make of the ending at first, but the more I think about it, the more it feels right.

As a big King fan, I feel I must  also contribute to this thread.

My very first reading of King was the Shining and it got me hooked. 'RedRum' being sooo scary.

The most memorable for me are: The Shining, Gerald's Game (a nice switch from King's usual horror), Heart's in Atlantis (more SF than horror), Salem's Lot (totally loved this book about vampires), The Tommy Knockers, The Dark Half, Dreamcatcher, Eyes of the Dragon (good book), The Stand (totally enjoyed reading about how the end of civilization comes around), Pet Cemetary was pretty scarey when I read it as child-recently re-reading it, it didn't scare me so much anymore.

Needful Things is also a favorite of mine (what would you do to get what you really needed/wanted?).

Under the Dome is a fairly recent book that I thought was great. (the recent YA series Gone is similar).

• 1 month later...

My first Stephen King was Dreamcatcher, i've read many of his books but i have a fondness for his short stories, it's amazing how he can create a univers and scare the hell out of me in so few pages!! I loved the mist and "les rats" ( i don't know the english name of that story) and "la presseuse" I tried to read It but it disturbed me too much. 

And Stephen King wrote the only story I swore myself I would NEVER read AGAIN. It was on same book than the mist and in french it was called " le gout de vivre" for the one who read it, i think you understand why i made such a promise, for the others... well try it if you have the guts!

• 2 weeks later...

St. King is for sure my favourite author. Unfortunately as years go by I think I've lost my interest. I still buy all his book but it's getting very difficult and painful to read :). I still don't know if that's because i've grown up or just he lost his way.

The Dark Tower - very very good, at least the first 4 parts. I remember staying awake in the morning just to finish each book and screaming (when nobody home) - "Nooo ....  what have you done" after certain events in the book happen. Part 4 is the best ever, though 1-3 are really, really good. From 5 onwards was such a pain reading. Probably due to my high expectations.

The Talisman - very good. The Dark House - hard to read, probably because I'm not 16 any more :D .

The Green Mile - very good. A good quote - "We each owe a death-there are no exceptions." Excelent movie based on that book. One of the 3 movies that are equally good as the book itself (along with Shawshank's redemption and room 1408)

It - I remember flipping the book over or covering it before going to sleep as I couldn't stand the clown watching me :blush2: . Terrifying and very interesting book.

Salem's lot - For months after reading this book I couldn't sit in the dark.

Road works, Firestarter, Rage, The eyes of the dragon - generaly all of his "pre-accident" books seemed to me very very good. Re-reading them gives me the same pleasure so I guess it's not me.

I'm currently chewing on Under the Dome but i'm on like 120 page after 3 months :(

Edited by hpgenie

I agree with you about the Dark Tower, the last few books were a big let down, if you haven't already you should read 11/22/63 it's brilliant!

I have hight expectations too. That's why I started with Under the Dome as I'll probably never read it otherwise. 11/22/63 will be my next.

I finished book 5 of The Dark Tower, and struggled with the beginning of 6 - is it worth me persevering or giving up, going by the above comments?

Well if you ask me they get worse and worse including the end itself, but King is right that the end is not so important, it's how you get there. I myself hate leaving a book in the middle so I would read it up to the end. There are some parts that where realy interesting so probably it's worth reading it.

I finished book 5 of The Dark Tower, and struggled with the beginning of 6 - is it worth me persevering or giving up, going by the above comments? 

I am glad I read the last two, just wish I had enjoyed it more. If you look at the dates he wrote them all you can tell he rushed the last three and they suffer greatly for it. I still have his latest, The Wind Through the Keyhole to read which is much shorter than the fifth so I am looking forward to it.

I am glad I read the last two, just wish I had enjoyed it more. If you look at the dates he wrote them all you can tell he rushed the last three and they suffer greatly for it. I still have his latest, The Wind Through the Keyhole to read which is much shorter than the fifth so I am looking forward to it.

It was actually not that bad. It's about Roland when he was young and I really missed that in all parts after 4.

Road works, Firestarter, Rage, The eyes of the dragon - generaly all of his "pre-accident" books seemed to me very very good. Re-reading them gives me the same pleasure so I guess it's not me.

I'm currently chewing on Under the Dome but i'm on like 120 page after 3 months :(

I agree with a lot of what you have written. He seems to have lost his mojo from around the time he released The Regulators and Desperation, to anything before Under The Dome. I actually like Under The Dome and was relieved it seemed to be a return to the old King, and nicely followed up by 11/22/63. His best work, I think is The Stand and IT, and most of the books around that time (his earlier works) are quite enjoyable.

There's a great blog on The Guardian, with one of the writers (or journalists?) slowing working his way through Stephen King's books, in order of publication date. He's a big fan of King and has read all the books previously, and I find it very interesting to read his posts and readers comments about re-visiting some old favorites. It's here if you are interested in reading it. He's read 22 books so far, and I think he has a fair few to go.

Well, it's one of those series that I was very glad that I had read, but was also relieved it was over. I struggled after Book 4 (and I also struggled with Book 1) as it seemed to be mostly filler with very little plot development. I keeping umming-and-ahhing about re-reading the series, as I keep thinking that maybe I was missing something by not enjoying the last half of the series. I'm still undecided as to whether I'll read them again, especially given there are so many other great books on my TBR pile waiting to be read!

There's a great blog on The Guardian, with one of the writers (or journalists?) slowing working his way through Stephen King's books, in order of publication date. He's a big fan of King and has read all the books previously, and I find it very interesting to read his posts and readers comments about re-visiting some old favorites. It's here if you are interested in reading it. He's read 22 books so far, and I think he has a fair few to go.

Thanks for sharing. Looks interesting. Last time I counted 73 books written by St.K and I guess I'll come around this blog for quite some time.

About Under The Dome I generally don't like this Big Brother idea. I'll write again after I read it but for now I've put it back on the shelf.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow.. Great thread. I agree with everything you said in your original thread post ''The Boss'', The Shining was freaky.. Wish i never saw the movie first though. And yeah, Bag Of Bones was just very enjoyable, it was the latest King novel I read. I don't know where to begin, he's the reason I started reading and for that I owe him so much. It took me a long time before i could even try out new authors.  I read exactly 24 King books and there were some dull ones but for the most part; even when they aren't great, he knows how to still give you an enjoyable story

Anyways, My favorites are: Misery, The Dead Zone, Black House, Under The Dome and Salems Lot. Honorable Mention: The Talisman.

Least Favorites: Only 2: Insomnia and Roadwork. Roadwork was depressing (though it was meant to be that way, I think) and I feel bad listing Insomnia after ALLLLLL we been through, but it was just so long. It was a drag, and boring but i cant quit once i start a book so, I trooped it.

Dishonorable Mentions: Skeleton crew. Loved 'The Mist' and 'The Jaunt' stories, read the individual 'The Mist' novel before reading Skeletons crew so I read it twice (It's one of the stories in Skeletons crew) and basically i enjoyed reading Mist the 2nd time more than reading any other story in that book besides Jaunt.

Every other King book I read was good and would be rated between 6 and 8 stars, except for these which are higher and lower.

Edited by UnderTheDome40

• 2 weeks later...

I read '22.11.63' which I really enjoyed, very thought provoking and well researched and I just finished reading 'Bag of Bones' which I enjoyed too. :)