Stephen King

Michelle

This guy seems to crop up alot when people I know talk of their favourite authors.. and at least he gives us plenty of varied books to discuss!

Which are your favourites, which don't you like?

As I said in another post, The Shining is one of only 2 books which really scared me.. and is probably due a re-read soon.

Bag of Bones is one I simply enjoyed, and really got involved with the characters.

It is also a good one, but if I recall correctly, I watched the film first.. which always means you come to the book with preconceived ideas.

The Dark Tower series I struggled with.. in fact I don't think I finished the first book.

I could go on... but I'll pass this over to others now! :D:D

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I loved The Green Mile, and I thought the film was the best book adaptation I had ever seen.

I also liked Carrie, The Stand, Tommyknockers, and the one I can't remember the name of with the clown that was an alien spider like creature (was it 'IT'?)

Debbie

• 1 month later...

Weird - I thought I'd posted here - must have been a previous board incarnation.

I am a HUGE King fan. I own most of his books and have read all of them (except Firestarter, which I hated) at least 4 times. My favourite has to be a close call between The Stand, IT and The Green Mile - all three books are very well written and very emotive.

Do read IT, Louise, it's a brilliant book and a gripping read.

And I think that the Dark Tower series are great, although I found the ending was a real let down. It seems like King couldn't think of a way to end it and had run out of steam for the big final showdown, so he rushed and then took an easy way out. Booo!

Jo xx

• 2 weeks later...

Another big King fan here. My most read King book has to be The Stand. He seemed to capture real people living in extraordinary circumstances perfectly and I felt really connected to the characters.

My other favourites are the ones he wrote as Richard Bachman - The Long Walk was truly inspired and stayed with me a long time after I finished it.

I love the Dark Tower Series, I've finished the first 5. For others who enjoyed it, don't miss The Talisman and The Black House, which are Stephen King/Peter Straub collaborations and tied into the Dark Tower books.

My favorite...that's a tough one. I loved Bag of Bones, The Stand, and IT. Also, another one that a lot of people miss is Eyes of the Dragon (?) I think! It's really great, fantasy, evil warlocks, etc.

I absolutely, totally, completely abhorred Dreamcatcher. I was so disappointed in it I almost cried.

I love the Dark Tower Series, I've finished the first 5. For others who enjoyed it, don't miss The Talisman and The Black House, which are Stephen King/Peter Straub collaborations and tied into the Dark Tower books.

Other books you might like to read (connected to the Dark Tower Series) are Hearts in Atlantis (Low Men in Yellow Coats) which is HUGELY connected to the last book in the series, plus Desperation. Also, Father Callahan is in Salem's Lot (yes, the same character), so you can find out what happened to him prior to his arrival in the Dark Tower Series.

IT mentions the Turtle (a guardian of the beams), and you can also read another story about Roland in the short stories book Everything's Eventual (Little Sisters of Eluria).

King also has another 2 books due for publication called 'Cell' (US - February 2006) and 'Lisey's Story (US - November 2006). Nighmares & Dreamscaoes is going to be a TV series (US only, I think).

NB. The Tailsman is being made into a film and is currently in pre-production, and Desperation has been made and should be screened (on TV, made by abc) in the US in May.

Jo xx (AKA She who knows all about King - aparently!)

My favourite King by far is The Stand. I have the complete, unabridged version which clockes ni at well over 1000 pages & it totally rocks!

After that, I loved the anthology Different Seasons - it's the book which has spawned 3 films so far: The Body (became Stand By Me), Rita Hayworth & the Shawshank Redemption (obvious which movie that became) & The Apt Pupil (the film of the same name wasn't as good as I expected).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

i've not read any stephen king in years. i kind of got fed up of his formulaic plots (guy comes to town/meets girl/romance ensues/guy saves town) but did enjoy them for a long time.

i think 'needful things' is the one that creeped me out the most (along with 'it', of course, but i'm not overfond of clowns anyway)