Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

Congratulations on winning the book Giulia! :smile2:

I'm about 2/3 through my Trixie Belden book and have also started on The Happy Prince and Other Stories by Oscar Wilde.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just been informed I've won an ARC of Lisa Mantchev's Theatre Illuminata Act II: Perchance to Dream in a blogger's competition :D I'm so made up, I've been trying to preorder this for ages and now I don't even have to pay for a copy that's more collectable than a first edition. W00t w00t!

Congratulations Giulia!, well done ;)

Time for a new thread! ;)

Do not read this if you haven't read The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas...

What did you think of the ending? Did you see it coming?

ETA: There is a discussion thread you can answer that in HERE :D

The ending was incredibly sad! I only saw it coming when Bruno asked for the striped pajamas to blend in. Its such a powerful way to end the book... I feel like every young adult and adult alike should read this! What did you think??

Thanks for the link! I'll check out the discussion!

I finally started Kraken last night and this morning and so far I am loving it, I have always had a primordial fear of squid and octopus (except when eating it..my revenge perhaps) and this is a great book to tap into it.

I started reading The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell, to feed my excitement for the Sex & the City 2 movie! can't wait to see it!!

I am looking forward to that film too, let us know how you get on with The carrie diarys as its one thats on my want to read list. I am currently reading A minor indiscretion by Carol Matthews, which I am enjoying so far. :D

Finished Frankenstein last night! Excellent read.

About to start The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman.

I've read a few more chapters of The Book Thief, I'm getting through it slowly but surely.

A beautiful, beautiful book. One of my favourite contemporary works. I love the emphasis on 'the power of words' as it's something quite dear, I think, to all of us! :D Hope you're enjoying.

The High Crusade by Poul Anderson is really enjoyable. The more I read, the more it's interesting.

Humans who would see the Earth in a shuffle: they would be frightened then amazed. But medieval men try to forget what the see, because it can't be, the Earth isn't round, it's not possible, and at the top of the sky there is... night? Not possible.

Really interesting, I loved when the E.T. told them about religion that it was a sort of tribal pantheon, poor priest, he was shocked. ;) I don't know if I like BLUE E.T.s, but I'll try to draw them, they're mean and strange. :D

210 pages into A Change in Altitude by Anita Shreve.

Ordered from Amazon:

The Complete Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby

Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire

A Lion Among Men by Gregory Maguire

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Malevil by Robert Merle

Finally finished The Ghost by Robert Harris. All I can say that the nly good bit for me was the end. Last 80 pages flew by but the rest.. Dear god I was bored.. I just hope it has not affected my mojo that much.

Not sure what to start yet.

Thinking the next in the House of night series.

I've finished Footprints in the Sand by Sarah Challis. I felt it was a bit long-winded and it read more like a travel memoir than a work of fiction, but it was quite a good story.

I'm just about to start Our Tragic Universe by Scarlett Thomas, which was I was lucky enough to get free from the Library Thing Early Reviewers programme.

210 pages into A Change in Altitude by Anita Shreve.

Ordered from Amazon:

The Complete Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby

Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire

A Lion Among Men by Gregory Maguire

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Malevil by Robert Merle

:D I spy the influence of Rory Gilmore ;)

I read about 150 pages of Trainspotting yesterday, can't wait to read more. I'm also getting The Complete Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby from the library today and will maybe look at the library's Irvine Welsh selection to see what they've got.

Finally finished Windfall by Penny Vincenzi, all 694 pages of it. will be writing a reveiw of this soon but i absolutly loved it :D

now going to start reading Great Love Stories of the World which contains over 40 stories from around the world, some well known and some not.i must like a challenge as this book is 895 long ;)