Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

Wow, are you a really fast reader or did you get to the movie really early? :)

I got there about 25 minutes early :( If you're not embarrassed easily you should check out CCBB sometime!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My book activity today was made out of awesome. Judge for yourself.

Prologue: a while back me and my sister were talking books, and I used the word "metanarrative"; she then said to me that if I managed to use the word in conversation with a complete stranger - no booksellers allowed - she'd buy me a book.

Activity: we went into a bookshop and I dithered nervously for a bit before tapping my sister on the shoulder and walking up to a random young man. I said to him, 'Can I ask you something? I am looking for people to interview for my thesis, it's on metanarrative; would I be able to contact you with my questionnaire? ...' All complete fiction, of course. My sister was suitably proud of my creativity and bought me Paola Boni's L'Evocatore (The Summoner), which looks abysmal in a marvellous way :) we've settled that when the sequels come out she'll give me other unusual words to puzzle innocent people with.

Epilogue: I am not utterly mean though, I will write to the young man with a fictitious questionnaire so he doesn't feel cheated :(!

lol he said yes?He must have thought you were chatting him up!

I read a couple more chapters of Frankenstein and am going to finish by the end of the week I would think.

That's awesome, Giulia!
Why, thank you!
Lol he said yes? He must have thought you were chatting him up!
I'm sure he thought nothing of the kind... Oh. My. God. He did? Badger. Maybe I shouldn't send him a made-up questionnaire then...
I read a couple more chapters of Frankenstein and am going to finish by the end of the week I would think.
How are you getting on with it? 'tis one of my favourite books ever, you know.

I'm not sure that I could do something so bold for the sake of a free book, Giulia. You're very brave!

I have about 20 pages left of Rama Revealed. It's quite an epic story.

I'm not sure that I could do something so bold for the sake of a free book, Giulia. You're very brave!
I'm not sure I'd call it bravery :) it's more of a mixture between poverty (I simply cannot afford to turn down a free book) and a proud inability to turn down bets (there've been times when, just because I'd been dared to, I've drunk a whole dipping bowl of Tabasco through a straw / eaten a packet of mayonnaise on its own straight out of the wrapper)!

In other news, I read 22 pages of The Blue Girl between last night and this morning and will try squeeze a few more in before the day is done :( I'm enjoying this immensely, it's the YA book I would have given my right arm to have read as a young adult.

I read around fifteen pages of Frankenstein and a couple of pages of Lisey's Story by King.

Finished....The Memory Keeper's Daughter By Kim Edwards. What a great read..if you haven't put it on your list.

Finished An Evil Guest. Confusing, as are most Gene Wolfe books upon first reading. They are for me, anyway. I usually get it the second time around. :)

I think I will read Gone With The Wind next.

Good luck! I tried to read that a few months ago and just couldn't. Have you read it before?

No, I haven't. But don't worry. If it doesn't grab me within the first 100 pages, I will move on to something I will enjoy. :(

Have you read The Thornbirds? I adored that book, and I have heard it compared to Gone With The Wind.

I did my book browsing today at the local used book store. It was rather disappointing. It may be that I am too picky, but I found the majority of the selection to be in abysmal condition. :)

The one book I did find, The House on the Strand by Daphne De Maurier, that was up to my standards, is now happily nestling among my other books, sighing in bliss, as she is now among her own kind and caliber. :(

Edited by Pixie

The ending is no good, the only downside to pets is that we unfortunately outlive them :( But there are some really fun and quirky pet tales in the very last few pages, you'll enjoy them I'm sure! :)

Just got to the end - Loved the stories in the last few pages!

I finished The Self-Preservation Society by Kate Harrison. It was quite good, I found myself quite drawn to it, despite it being chick-lit.

Not sure what to read next. Might keep going with Harry Potter.