Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

Yay Marcia! My copy cost me €10 so it'd better be good lol! I really wanted her newest one, Our Tragic Universe, but alas Waterstones in this particular city is a bit rubbish.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot that last night when I met my friend at the movie she gave me the next two books of the Kelley Armstrong series, Broken and Haunted.

I also stopped at Half Price Books on the way home from lunch today and practically shouted when I saw they had a nice shiny hard cover copy of The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe for only $2.00! When I read it the first time I borrowed from someone so I'm glad to have my own now :D. I also picked up PopCo by Scarlett Thomas, Noll! Also only $2.00, so I practically skipped out of the shop, LOL.

Excellent haul peacefield!

I hope you enjoy your new Armstrong installments! :D

They've released The Lost Book of Salem over here now as The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, with a beautiful new cover too! I'm really tempted to buy a copy even though The Book of Lost Salem is so pretty too! ;)

I hope you like it too! Cool, I didn't know Thomas had a new one out - I thought she just had this one and 'End of Mr. Y.' You read that one and liked it, didn't you? I seem to remember you talking about it awhile ago...

Excellent haul peacefield!

I hope you enjoy your new Armstrong installments! :D

They've released The Lost Book of Salem over here now as The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, with a beautiful new cover too! I'm really tempted to buy a copy even though The Book of Lost Salem is so pretty too! ;)

I'm excited to read the next Armstong, Charm! Apparently I now get to find out about Eve Levine :D, and after that it's back to Elena and Clay, woo!

What does the Lost Book of Salem and now Dane covers look like over there? Here it's showing a torn piece of paper, some herb leaves and a key. It's snazzy! :D

What does the Lost Book of Salem and now Dane covers look like over there? Here it's showing a torn piece of paper, some herb leaves and a key. It's snazzy! :D

Links: (I hope they work ;))

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane

The Lost Book of Salem

Physick sounds similar, I like them both! I don't suppose it would be too bad having a copy of each :D

I read all of the introductory bits + 5 pages of Steven Brusts's The Phoenix Guards at 6.30 this morning before conking out on the plane tray :D I'll see if I can make it to the end of the first chapter before meeting the same fate right about now.

........and picked up Gone with the Wind from the bookstore. Hopefully I'll get around to starting it today.

I read GWTW a couple of times when I was a young teenager, and again I guess in my 20's and 30's, and again fairly recently, in my late 50's.....each time it is different. The perspective of ages reading that book, as with most books I suppose, changes drastically. I'd have to say that from my teens to now, it is a totally different book.

Today I got started on Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters. It's a different sort of book, for me at least. It's the story of all the people buried in a particular cemetery...told individually in prose poetry. Written in 1915, it holds just as true and fresh today as when it was written. I'm about 1/3rd of the way through.

I hope you like it too! Cool, I didn't know Thomas had a new one out - I thought she just had this one and 'End of Mr. Y.' You read that one and liked it, didn't you? I seem to remember you talking about it awhile ago...

The End Of Mr. Y is excellent, but they're not her only books. She has 8 novels!

I just finished Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult. Just a so-so book for me. I will post a review when I get a chance.

I am now starting on The Book of Flying by Keith Miller.

To remember the last day of my bond with education, I bought two books yesterday. One was a cheap copy of Silas Marner by George Eliot and the other was a steal. A hard bound century edition of Pride And Prejudice with excellent paper quality, spectacular painted illustrations and large print. I've never read Austen or Eliot before but while I went in to the bookshop to get just about any one book to commemorate the occasion, I just couldn't miss the chance of getting these.

Total cost? Well, about 3$.

Chapters had a 'Buy 3, Get the 4th free" deal so I picked up

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk

Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk

Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut

I'm thinking of going back and picking up another 4 books! I hate these deals, I end up spending way too much money :D

I finished The Ninth Stone I really enjoyed it, was very similar to the Sally Lockhart series by Philip Pulllman have also read Depths - Henning Mankell what a dreary book, I felt depressed reading it, bring back Wallender stop writing these rubbish other books :D

It's a book worth having too copies of :D.

My thinking exactly! :D

The End Of Mr. Y is excellent, but they're not her only books. She has 8 novels!

I'm just about to abandon this, maybe I should rethink? Mind you, I thought Let The Right One In was brilliant, and yet we both loved The Historian! Don't ya just love how everyone can love one thing, yet have different views on another! ;)

I'm reading The 5 people you meet in heaven, which I bought a week or 2 before.

Funny, I didn't expect it to be so short. I don't know why :D

Edited by Brida

Peyton Place is one I have been looking forward to reading, frankie, I'm pleased to hear it's so good! :D

I am still reading Possession. It hasn't killed my reading mojo, far from it, I'm really enjoying it, but it's not always convenient for me to read a hardback so it's taking me ages to get through it!

What's Peyton Place about? It sounds familiar; was it a TV show or movie once?

I didn't get much time to read today, so I only managed a chapter or two of Rama Revealed.