Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

:D And pretty soon you will see another book you want and you'll say you won't buy another until you've read 15...and so on. Maybe you shouldn't be asking advice from a forum full of people addicted to books...I say go for it! :D

*Sigh* Well...if you insist... :confused:

For the last little while I've been reading the short stories of my absolute favorite author in the whole world- my dad. He has written a handfull that have been published in magazines and such about me and my brother and his childhood/life out here on the prairie. Think I'll go through a few more because whenever I read them I feel so much closer to him. :lol:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw Abby, that sounds lovely. Your Dad sounds so cool. :D

He's an amazing man. :confused: If you're ever bored (don't feel obligated to read it) I posted one of his short stories on my blog a little bit ago. It is one of my favorites he's written.

http://stainedglassinthenight.blogspot.com/

Ouch! Lexie...hope you are ok.

Not much on the book-reading front today, but we strolled into Barnes & Noble, honestly, only for coffee!! :D

There was an "under 5.00 USD stack" right at the front door, and well, really, what's a book addicted couple to do?? /innocent/ :confused:

We bought:

The Lost Girl by D. H. Lawrence

On Liberty by John Stuart Mill

Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters

What is Art? by Leo Tolstoy

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Ludwig Wittgenstein

Damn Waterstones and their '3 for 2' deals :D:confused:

Bought:

The Pillars of The Earth by Ken Follett

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Damn Waterstones and their '3 for 2' deals :D:confused:

Bought:

Oh, but both "The Pillars of The Earth" and "Neverwhere" are excellent books! First books, and then (if something is left over) comes food and rent and other unnecessary things!

Finished The No1 Ladies Detective Agency. It's such a lovely book to get just what I needed to get my mojo back.

I'm probably going to scare it away again though because I've started Anna Karenina which isn't as scary as I thought it would be, the names are a bit confusing but the actual writing style isn't too bad.

Finished Apartment 16 yesteday and now want to read something completely different. I'm shortly going to start All the Day Long by Howard Spring - a rather long saga that starts in 1876 and centres a around a family living in Cornwall - quite a refreshing change from Ghosts in London! I desperately need to come up for air and Cornish sea air would be the right medicine:).

Oh, but both "The Pillars of The Earth" and "Neverwhere" are excellent books! First books, and then (if something is left over) comes food and rent and other unnecessary things!

:D

Very true! I'll also need more shelf space soon, which has to be more important as well ...

Damn Waterstones and their '3 for 2' deals :confused::D

Bought:

Pillars of the Earth is a fantastic book :lol:

I'm about 60 pages into The Fourth Queen & enjoying so far though it's a bit racy :D I've also bought 3 PD James -The Murder Room, The Lighthouse & The Private Patient, The Thirteenth Tale Diane Setterfield & The Various Haunts of Men Susan Hill

More than half done with Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult. I kind of know where it is going, but I am still enjoying it, nonetheless.

How are you enjoying this? I've heard a lot of good things about it and it's on my wishlist.

Kylie, the writing was great, but I really wasn't crazy about the story. It was a little too depressing for me.

I have read Summer Sisters and loved it, but haven't read any of her other adult work.

I still have my original copy of Forever!

Summer Sisters was my favorite, but Smart Women was good as well. I don't recommend Wifey! I remember really hating that one.

I'm trying my hardest to refrain from going to the bookstore to pick up the newest Stephanie Plum novel by Janet Evanovich- Sizzling Sixteen. Must...resist...must...not...give...in...

Sadly this is the first summer in a very long time that Stephanie Plum is not apart of my summer reading list. For me the series just isn

Yesterday I finished Revolutionary Road and picked up Gone with the Wind from the bookstore. Hopefully I'll get around to starting it today.

I will be reading Gone With The Wind next as well! It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on it. :D

Started Martin Lukes: Who Moved My Blackberry? by Lucy Kellaway today. I used to love reading her column in the FT when I worked in an insurance company where I could read it for free everyday, and was delighted to find out she's now written some novels now. This one has started off brilliantly, and I'd already recommend to anyone who works in an office for lampooning that environment.

Started Popco by Scarlett Thomas.

The concepts makes me think of a clash between Dan Brown (code solving and keys) and Dreamfall (a PC game about a dangerous toy manufacturer).

Also 30 pages from the end of Let The Right One In. It's so bleak and depressing, I've really been struggling towards the end. Great book, but will be glad to see the back of it.

I forgot that last night when I met my friend at the movie she gave me the next two books of the Kelley Armstrong series, Broken and Haunted.

I also stopped at Half Price Books on the way home from lunch today and practically shouted when I saw they had a nice shiny hard cover copy of The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe for only $2.00! When I read it the first time I borrowed from someone so I'm glad to have my own now :D. I also picked up PopCo by Scarlett Thomas, Noll! Also only $2.00, so I practically skipped out of the shop, LOL.