Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stayed up late last night to finish Marley & Me, i had a little cry at the end so i was glad no one was around to see me. I've now started The Fourth Queen by Debbie Taylor.

I bought a random Anita Shreve book in a charity shop for €1.50. I buy all my chick lit cheap and second hand in there haha, I won't pay full price for it because it's just mojo-boosting stuff I'll not read more than once.

Also bought Popco by Scarlett whatshername... er... Thomas. Been looking at it for a while and someone saying they preferred it to The End of Mr. Y decided for me. I want her new one, but Waterstones don't have it. I also only bought it because I went in looking for ANYTHING by Tabitha Suzuma and they didn't have anything.

I have to wonder what people read, because that particular Waterstones gets great reviews, and people go on about the selection of books available, but it NEVER stocks anything I really want, and I end up coming out with expensive books I only kind of want.

</mini-rant>

Went to the library, got me some books and bought Lois Lowry's The One hundredth Thing About Caroline for 20 cnt. It'll be a re-read from childhood, not as good as Anastasia Krupnik but something nostalgic anyways.

I finally finished Shantaram, which took me about 8 or 9 weeks to read - it has over 900 pages. It was an interesting read and one that I would recommend for someone who wants to learn about India, likes a good story and doesn't mind a big book.

It isn't worth starting another book now as I know I won't be able to finish it before I go to Iceland on Sunday, I would rather wait until I get there so I have a complete book to read during the 2 weeks. I will only have room for one plus my trusty Lonely Planet Guide and rather fittingly have chosen an Icelandic crime novel "My Soul to Take" by Yrsa Sigurdardottir. It sounds right up my street with murder and haunted houses set in the Icelandic countryside, and should hopefully be a good read.

Actually succeeded in going to the library twice now just to return books, didn't get a single one out which must count as a miracle. I've still got a couple of library books left to read but then it's back to my shelves which have been neglected for too long.

Just started The Still Point by Amy Sackville, not quite sure what to make of it yet. It's not grabbing me at the moment.

I'm trying my hardest to refrain from going to the bookstore to pick up the newest Stephanie Plum novel by Janet Evanovich- Sizzling Sixteen. Must...resist...must...not...give...in...

I set the goal for myself of reading 5 books from my TBR pile before allowing myself to buy another book. So far I've read 1 and 1/4. :) Would it be cheating if I promised not to buy another book until I read 10 instead of 5 and went out and bought this one?

Guess I'll just have to dig into Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang with a vengence today. :D

Not much to finish The girl with the dragom tatoo by Stieg Larsson.. My plan was to finish yesterday but unfortunately I had a car accident... :confused:

I hope you are OK Lexie. :D

Very little reading done in the past few days, but I have been super busy. 'The Hobbit' has been a great non-scarer of my mojo though, a gentle familiar read of an old favourite. Perfect. :D

Not much to finish The girl with the dragom tatoo by Stieg Larsson.. My plan was to finish yesterday but unfortunately I had a car accident... :lol:

Omw! I hope you're ok!

I really, really just can't get into The End of Mr Y and it's so annoying :D I think I may have to abandon this one, which would be the second book I've abandoned this year, so not happy doing that :D but somehow I can't see the point of carrying on with something I'm not enjoying :confused:.

I am almost half way through Emotional Geology already! This book is wonderful with very real characters and a rich understanding of the human psyche. Thank you to Chrissy for recommending Linda Gillard's work. :confused:

I have not been able to put this book down (except to grab a tissue and bawl my head off) and now I have to because it's about time to leave for work.

I already have Star Gazing and just ordered A Lifetime Burning which I had to purchase used. It was all I could find here in the US. :D

Another Linda Gillard fan...great Pixie, so glad you enjoyed it. A Lifetime Burning is very different though. Enjoy when you get to it.

I have 3 books on the go at the moment.

We Need to Talk about Kevin....bag book

Exit Wounds~Shaun Hutson...Kitchen book

Faces~Martina Cole....Bed book

laugh how you have books in different places Heather:lol:

My reading is on a bit of a go slow at the moment but I am enjoying The Memory Keeper's Daughter though.

Got a book voucher from my (ex-) colleagues upon leaving work! :D With it I bought:

American Gods - Neil Gaiman

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde

The last one was because I heard so many people on here giving him kudos, so I guess this website does influence my reading! :confused:

Also about 150 pages to go 'til I finish A Game of Thrones. Taken forever but now that I have more time on my hands my reading should pick up.

Wow, what a great haul Nienna! Fforde and Atwood are superb and Mitchell and Gaiman I have on my wishlist. You've got good taste :D

Wow, what a great haul Nienna! Fforde and Atwood are superb and Mitchell and Gaiman I have on my wishlist. You've got good taste :D

Haha, thank you! :confused: They're all books I've been meaning to pick up for ages, but I'm too much of a miser and haven't been able to find them cheap enough 'til now. :D (Yeah, seriously!) It only came to

Would it be cheating if I promised not to buy another book until I read 10 instead of 5 and went out and bought this one?

:D And pretty soon you will see another book you want and you'll say you won't buy another until you've read 15...and so on. Maybe you shouldn't be asking advice from a forum full of people addicted to books...I say go for it! :confused:

Great haul Nienna!

I hope you're OK Lexie. :D

I pre-ordered a couple of books yesterday so now I have an anxious month or two before I receive them. I'm only a dozen pages in to Rama Revealed and I appreciated the prologue which has reminded me of the events in the previous books.