Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

I'm going to read Plan B by Emily Barr this morning - I have read it before but I need to read the section set in Brighton again for my dissertation

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never read Candide but I saw the stage production many moons ago and loved it :D.

The book is WHACK :) But it's very readable and quite enjoyable at times. Short, as well :lol:

I started reading John Ajvide Lindqvist's Let the Right One In. I bought this book last year in English and started reading it but didn't get quite far. Now I found the book in the library and in Finnish and started reading this copy. I think I shouldn't read any English translations of Swedish novels, Swedish is so easily translated into Finnish and they are so much more similar than Swedish and English. I might give away my English copy.

I just finished "Lessons from an Evil Mind" I highly recommend it to anyone that like fantasy and a little horror.. Warning though, if you read the book, you will find yourself hooked and waiting for book two to come out.

Are you the author of this book by any chance?

I've just had a look on Amazon and it's ever so expensive. It would have to be something stunning for me to pay

Edited by Janet

I started reading John Ajvide Lindqvist's Let the Right One In. I bought this book last year in English and started reading it but didn't get quite far. Now I found the book in the library and in Finnish and started reading this copy. I think I shouldn't read any English translations of Swedish novels, Swedish is so easily translated into Finnish and they are so much more similar than Swedish and English. I might give away my English copy.

I'm going to be starting this a.s.a.p! I've been eyeing it for the last few days, but I've other books on the go, I'm trying to decide whether to start it alongside them...

I'm really starting to see what you mean Kylie about it being a relief when it's finished. I read another 6 chapters last night and although I'm enjoying it, it's hard going. I don't normally have this much trouble getting through modern books but Miss Smilla is giving me a touch of brain ache!

I'm going to be starting this a.s.a.p! I've been eyeing it for the last few days, but I've other books on the go, I'm trying to decide whether to start it alongside them...

There's some pretty disturbing stuff in the book, so consider yourself warned! :) It's good so far nonetheless.

It won't disturb me, I guarantee it haha. I've seen the film, which I found great in concept, boring as hell in execution, so a long time ago I looked up the book and I know many of the differences which sound WAY more exciting in the book :lol: I've heard it can be a little difficult to get through at times though, not entirely sure why. I think I might start it alongside my current reads - one is going nowhere anytime soon, another is nearly finished and the third is only a kid's book which won't require much memory :)

It won't disturb me, I guarantee it haha. I've seen the film, which I found great in concept, boring as hell in execution, so a long time ago I looked up the book and I know many of the differences which sound WAY more exciting in the book :lol: I've heard it can be a little difficult to get through at times though, not entirely sure why. I think I might start it alongside my current reads - one is going nowhere anytime soon, another is nearly finished and the third is only a kid's book which won't require much memory :lol:

Ach, so you already knew :D I don't get easily disturbed myself, but I have to say the

phaedophilia moments made my spine shiver, literally. It was so awful to read

. I hope the book will prove to satisfy you morre than the movie :)

Mine is just over 500. Sheesh even the back cover tells me more than the movie ever did - in the movie Eli's age isn't mentioned but the back cover of my book tells me exactly how old she is (I knew the book went into detail about her history, but for such a simply fact to be completely omitted from the movie irritated me - <3 book).

For once, I'm really, really glad I watched the film first. It's given me the motiviation to read the book.

I just finished "Lessons from an Evil Mind" I highly recommend it to anyone that like fantasy and a little horror.. Warning though, if you read the book, you will find yourself hooked and waiting for book two to come out.
Are you the author of this book by any chance?

I've just had a look on Amazon and it's ever so expensive. It would have to be something stunning for me to pay

Just finished "The Life and Death of Myra Hindley" today and i never want to read any more about the Moors Murders, i now know officially everything about Hindley and her crimes. A well-researched book but only for hardcore true crime fans.

Next on my list is 1984 which im starting...NOW!

So I went to the library the other day, as I really did not know what book to read for my first library book club meet on Thursday.

I went to the library and looked at the new arrivals and I saw the book The Preacher by Camilla Lackberg.

I have read fifty pages and it is good so far. Apparently this is suppose to be a top class Scandinavian Crime writer, so I thought because of my love for Larrson I could compare the two and I would have something to talk about.

The writing styles are totally different.

but like I said before really enjoying it.

I've now finished Tony and Susan by Austin Wright. I thought it was ok, but I don't really know what the point of it all was. I was expecting a surprise at the end and it just sort of petered out.

Next up is Whatever You Love by Louise Doughty.

When in Waterstones picking up Hearts and Minds- Amanda Craig for Mum A Matter of Death and Life- Andrey Kurkov jumped into my hand.

Am now on the third part of Wicked too.