The Gap Between Books

This isn't a problem for me as i currently have 115 books on my TBR list, so whenever i get to the end of a book, i know i have many more waiting for me on my shelf, to be picked up and read whenever the mood takes me. And the best thing is the books are a mixture of genres from classics to comedy and thrillers, good times :D

I do tend to have a little bit of a gap (anything from a couple of hours to the following day) between the books I read. This is mainly due to the fact that I like to write the review of the book I've just finished prior to starting a new one because otherwise I end up putting it off and the longer I do so, the harder it is for me to write it.

If I do start a new book before I've written my review I try and pick one that is in a different genre to the one I've just read... again for review purposes.

This is just me though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Eliza1

I don't like the gap between books. I'll always make a start on something else, even if I only read a page. I suppose I tend to think a lot about what i'm reading at the moment and how i'm enjoying it, I tend to think it through. If i'm not reading anything theres no book to ponder on and my brain doesn't like it :P

I don't really have a gap between books, while nearing the end of one book I try to figure out what to read next. However, sometimes trying to pick the next book turns out to be harder than I'd like it. When that happens, the gap between books is usually a day or two.

• 7 months later...

I have just been reading through this older post and feel somewhat comforted! I also shortlist my books before I have finished one and move them round in different piles according to what mood I'm in.

On my book shelf I have a pile of the short list books I have chosen to read next and often find myself looking at them longingly, inpatient to get them started then when I finish the book I'm on I could be in a completely different frame of mind and pick a completely different book than the one I had picked out previously!

My bf thinks I'm weird hanging around my book shelf perusing the books as if I've never seen them before or I'm in a library! I guess I just like picking them up and looking at them!

I don't tend to have a gap between books. I have quite a large pile TBR so I choose a book as I am coming to the end of my current book. It depends what sort of book I want to read next as I enjoy reading memoirs as well as fiction. I am beginning to read more fiction now and I'm looking at people's book lists for ideas as I am still increasing my TBR pile.

Most times it depends on my mood and if I can be bothered to pick up another book to read. sometimes I feel like I have read for ages so I feel I need a few hours or a few days break, but most times I either get onto the next book I wanted to read straight away or wait for few hours to let what I just read sink in if its that good. Plus I don't like have more than one book on the go, I use to when I was like 7 till about 9 I use to get books from the library all 8 at one time I get a mixture of 200 pages long or 50 pages long and I would normally read about 2 or three in a day and take them back to get more books out, but now I feel to involve in the book, its like a movie but better, I won't watch half movie then move onto another movie and watch the for half an hour and then go back to the first movie, I like to see a movie straight though like a book so I won't get mixed up with the characters and stories.

I don't usually have this problem as I usually have at least two books on the go (more often I have about 4 that I'm currently reading). So when I finish one, I've still got the other(s). Sometimes I'll start another as soon as I finish one but often I'll wait a little while. I also have a massive tbr pile so on the rare occasion I finish up everything, it doesn't usually take me long to choose the next one. Also, having a Kindle means I don't get stranded without something to read lol! I used to be like some of the others, carrying a 'spare' book with me just in case but now I have a whole bunch with me all of the time!

I have so many TBR at the moment too and I still can't help buying more - if I ever see a really good review on something and it sounds like my cup of tea I tend to buy it! I have a wish list on Amazon and I really need to start adding more things to that instead of just buying all the time!!

I always have a gap; I need to savour and respect each book after I finish it. Therefore, I never start a new book on the same day I finished a previous one (unless its a series, which is like one long book). So sometimes I find myself putting down a book at 6pm, with nothing else to read for the night.

I get through the gap time with tears, or by flinging the book at a wall (depending how good it was). I spend this time watching tv online, borrow a movie from the library or (gasp) spend time with my partner... Maybe I'll take up review writing like someone suggested.

j

I am definitely a chain-reader and I always have a book in my bag (although that's now replaced by my Kindle). On the very odd occasion that I don't pick up a new book straight away - it's because the previous book has left an impression on me that I can't quickly shake off. So I have to clear it away in my mind before I start the next one.