The Gap Between Books

How does everyone feel when they have finished one book but haven't yet decided what to read next?

It actually makes me feel quite anxious - even when I have lots of lovely books I am looking forward to reading, I don't feel comfortable until I have settled on the next one and made a start to it. I have a feeling I might just be strange... :smile2:

How does everyone feel when they have finished one book but haven't yet decided what to read next?

It actually makes me feel quite anxious - even when I have lots of lovely books I am looking forward to reading, I don't feel comfortable until I have settled on the next one and made a start to it. I have a feeling I might just be strange... :smile2:

It doesn't bother me. There are usually things I am supposed to be doing other than reading anyway .

My problem goes more towards picking one off of the TBR pile. I usually have half a dozen or so shortlisted before I finish the one I'm currently reading. But when it's time, I pick up each shortlisted item several times, rererereading the blurbs even though I've learnt them nearly by heart, holding them to see how they feel. And eventually one of the shortlisted ones kind of speaks to me, that is to say it just feels right.

So for me it's not the not knowing, it's the actual choosing. It does cause me some level of stress though.

I see where you're coming from though Ooshie, and I highly suspect you're not alone :smile2:

I don't seem to be able to have a gap at all between books. If I'm approaching the end of a book I'll start carrying around one or two more so I can start one immediately after I've finished the last.

I have so many books on my TBR pile that whatever I choose is pretty much going to be a winner and one that I've been wanting to read for ages, so I have no problem there.

I've noticed that even if I finish a book right before going to bed, I still have to start the next book, if only to read a few pages. I'm not sure why. I guess I like to always know that I'm in the process of reading a book. :smile2:

Aww i know what you mean, it is hard choosing a new book, and also running out of time to read them as well! So busy with uni and socializing, but i think i shall be reading a lot over summer :smile2:

It is weird the gap between books, i always have one or two on the go, and i always go through bursts of reading lots, then hardly reading. Its weird i know!

I usually have more than one book going on at the same time, so my books always overlap. Wow...I guess that means that I'm never not reading something. :smile2:

Like Echo, I have more than one on the go at a time, so I have overlap. I also tend to start thinking about which book to read next when I realise I'm approaching the end, so I can start the next book asap.

. I also tend to start thinking about which book to read next when I realise I'm approaching the end

That's what i do :roll: I start scanning the bookshelves & see what jumps out at me.

Edited by BookJumper
repaired quote

I seem to read in spurts. I'll read 2 or 3 right in a row, no space in-between, then go a while starting and putting down books till I find exactly the right one. I ordinarily have a couple going at the time anyhow, and sometimes as many as 7 or 8 started...then I'll concentrate on one or two of them.

I guess I'm a bit moody where reading is concerned.

So, I suppose "the gap" can be anything from an hour to a week, depending on what else I have going elsewhere.

whenever i finish a book i feel more of an emptiness like i just lostmy best friend. i get really attached to good characters and stories

I know what you mean.

If I've just finished reading a really good book, it takes me a while to find another that would live up to it. I usually only have one on the go at a time and if I do have 2 on the go, it's usually because I put one book down to read another. Then once that book is finished I'll start the original book again. I'm a one stary at a time kind of gal.

• 2 weeks later...

The Gap is hard to deal with for me. I carry a book around with me wherever I go, so that if I'm ever waiting for something, or have a dull moment I can grab it out of my bag and read.. so If I don't have a book in my bag bc I'm in the gap... I usually find my self bored in these situations.

Whats funny is how weird I feel when I'm reading a series.. its like my life is planned out until that series is over.. it kind of makes me sad because I don't get to pick out a new book until I've read the last one. But if it's a good series, I never want it to end!

I don't usually have a gap either. Quite often I have two on the go, sometimes of which one is a Bookcrossing bookring, which I know I have to get read and pass on to the next reader.

I sometimes panic when I am finished and I don't quite know what I want to read next. I have a list on my notebook on here and my reading list here though to prompt me of recommendations people have made and have chosen a few from my bookshelf that have been lounging patiently for years waiting to be read.

Such a dilema at times isn't it :blush:

I don't have a gap as such between books.I have a TBR pile that i tend to stick to oldest first.New purchases go to the bottom of the pile.I am pretty good at sticking to it.

I used to do that with Mount TBR when it was barely a hill, but after joining this forum, I went from having no more tha a dozen or so books o nMount TBR to having well over 100 pretty quickly and that system failed dismally for me very quickly. I prediodially have a clearout of books I no longer fancy reading, passing them on to other people, selling them on Green Metropolis, or releasing them into the wild via Book Crossing, but when it comes to chjoosing my next book, I just scan the shelves and see what I fancy... :blush:

I used to do that with Mount TBR when it was barely a hill, but after joining this forum, I went from having no more tha a dozen or so books o nMount TBR to having well over 100 pretty quickly and that system failed dismally for me very quickly. I prediodially have a clearout of books I no longer fancy reading, passing them on to other people, selling them on Green Metropolis, or releasing them into the wild via Book Crossing, but when it comes to chjoosing my next book, I just scan the shelves and see what I fancy... ;)

My TBR pile is usually quite reasonable if i just stick to the latest paperbacks from Tesco/Sainsburys,which i try to do.Currently stands at about 14 books.It's when i go to shops like Waterstones that i can easily come out with 8 or 10 books.I limit these visits to every couple of months now.:)

I don't usually have a gap as such, but I find that no matter how hard I strive to decide what to read next when approaching the end something, I'll invariably choose wrong and will need to try several books on for size before I can settle down into a new read.

• 1 month later...

I don't really have a gap between books. When I come near the end of one book (maybe 50-100 pages left or so) I already start carry around a backup book, so I won't be left without a book on the train or somewhere else.

It might take a while to chose the backup book though, cause there are so many on my TBR pile (and on my tbr-library-list and my tbr-boyfriends-books-list and and and) and I always need to be in the right mood for a book.