Help with name of story

I think the story was written in the late seventies, possibly early eighties - this is just the impression I got from it, I could be totally wrong.

The story opens with a police detective and he's at a crime scene. I think it is set in Los Angeles. And he notices this boy he finds absolutely beautiful with red hair. And he keeps seeing this boy - or more beautiful boys that look just like him - at various crime scenes he finds himself at. And he starts seeing these boys around the city. And he begins to develop a physical desire for them, and question his own sexuality and blah blah blah. Eventually he kidnaps one of the boys and holds him hostage at a cabin in the woods where he rapes him. He finds out that the boy - and the other boys - are angels. I think he may cut this boys wings off, but I could be wrong about that. At the end the angel dies from starvation and dehydration. This is just my vague recollection of it.

Does anyone kown the name of the author or story?