Arthur Conan Doyle

I tried searching the forums and I was mildly surprised that there wasn't a single thread on him so I started my own thread.

I have had trouble with his work in the past. I skip a lot of sentences when I read sometimes and that's not really helpful when it comes to writers like Doyle. It's also the reason why I have trouble with Dickens I suppose.

Anyway, I just finished A Study In Scarlet and I really enjoyed it. It's the first ACD book I've ever read and I'm looking forward to reading all the Sherlock Holmes' stories soon.

So which are the most memorable Sherlock Holmes stories in your opinion? And most importantly, do I have to read them in an order?

I tried searching the forums and I was mildly surprised that there wasn't a single thread on him so I started my own thread.

So which are the most memorable Sherlock Holmes stories in your opinion? And most importantly, do I have to read them in an order?

Good question Vinay, I bought a couple of Sherlock Holmes Books recently when the film came out. I am not sure where to begin either!

Vinay, I'd say you have read the right book first. Study in Scarlet introduces us to Watson and Sherlock (and love how they meet up) and personally I think this book is one of my favourites.

I would suggest though, that you read them in the order they were written, ie The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes should be next as this starts and ends the short stories until there was an outcry at Sherlock's seeming demise and he had to resurrect him in new stories namely The Return of SH and Memoirs. Of course the "mini-novels" such as Hound of the Baskervilles, the Master Blackmailer, Valley of Death etc can be picked up at any point .

There is a chronological list than can be found on the ACD website (sorry, I need to log out and I haven't got time to list them).

Edited by SueK
typos

I've read and loved A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of Four and The Hound of the Baskervilles. I thought I was reading them in the order published but somehow I missed a couple so I'm going to read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes shortly.

It's my personal preference to read them in the order published, but I think Sue has made a lot of good points in her post. If you loved the first one then I'm sure you'll love the rest too. Happy reading! :blush:

Actually I gave some duff info last night (I was tired and it had been a very long day:smile2:)

The Adventures of SH does not end with his death. In fact that comes in the series called the Memoirs of SH.

I also named the Master Blackmailer but that is actually entitled the Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton (it was called the Master Blackmailer in the TV series).

Sorry for the confusion.

But if you don't fancy reading the short stories then you have to read the Hound of the Baskervilles.

I remember reading the story of the red headed league when I was younger and recently heard a radio dramatisation of it which was good. Not sure why I always remembered that story from childhood but it is good :smile2:

Here is a list of the Holmes books

A Study in Scarlet (1887)

The Sign of Four (1890)

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1892)

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (1894)

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1902)

The Return of Sherlock Holmes (1905)

The Valley of Fear (1915)

His Last Bow (1917)

The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (1927)

I would also suggest you read The Lost World (1912), another great tale.

The BBC are also doing a good dramatisation of the Conan Doyle books on BBC 7 which I listen to at work, I have read the complete Sherlock Holmes and always go back to them when I need somehting to just read for a short time.

I still can't bring myself to see the movie.:roll:

I don't live too many miles from ACD's home in Crowborough and there is statue of him at the top of the high street. I will be passing it tomorrow on my way down to Brighton and will bow reverently as I drive past:mrgreen:

I actually think the movie is quite good, its a little over the top and a slightly more Hollywood version of holmes (the chase scenes over the docks and so forth) but on the whole its a very good Watch.

My dad bought the DVD of Sherlock Holmes last weekend and I might watch it at some point but for me SH will always be the man in my avatar.

I'm sure Robert Downey Jnr is good but for me he will always be Chaplin - how can you go from Chaplin to SH?:) To be fair though, I should reserve judgement until I've seen the DVD.

Back to the SH books though, a friend found a wonderful copy of the Adventures of SH in illustrated form as they appeared in Strand Magazine and she has given it to me. I shall always treasure it.

Saw this on the BBC web today I wish i could afford it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10154467.stm

Wow Pickle, that looks amazing. I'll have to raid the piggy bank methinks:lol:. I bet it goes to a Japanese buyer - they are the worlds most ardent SH fans (after me that is):)

That would be really sad.

have you listened to any of the BBC adaptations of the books, much as i love Jeremy Brett, Clive Merisson does a really good adaptation.

That would be really sad.

have you listened to any of the BBC adaptations of the books, much as i love Jeremy Brett, Clive Merisson does a really good adaptation.

Unfortunately I can't get BBC radio 7 on my phone/radio (as I usually am plugged in at work) and I'm not allowed to stream. Shame because I believe there is an episode on now!

I do watch the repeats on ITV3 though as well as having the complete DVD set (sad, yes, I need to get out more):)

Unfortunately I can't get BBC radio 7 on my phone/radio (as I usually am plugged in at work) and I'm not allowed to stream. Shame because I believe there is an episode on now!

I do watch the repeats on ITV3 though as well as having the complete DVD set (sad, yes, I need to get out more):)

Oh thats a shame they are very good, I have a couple on audio book too. I think they are just re-running the whole series as they are now doing the casebook of Sherlock Holmes.

Which is your favourite Holmes story? I have always liked the longer ones, and its between a Study in Scarlett and The Speckled Band.

Which is your favourite Holmes story? I have always liked the longer ones, and its between a Study in Scarlett and The Speckled Band.

Oh definitely Study in Scarlett is my favourite long story. For the shorter ones, I'm very fond of The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax and The Norwood Builder. The Hound of the Baskervilles holds a special place as well.

Edited by SueK
sp.

Oh definitely Study in Scarlett is my favourite long story. For the shorter ones, I'm very fond of The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax and The Norwood Builder. The Hound of the Baskervilles holds a special place as well.

I think The Hound of the Baskervilles has a special place in any Holmes Fan's book. Its probably the most filmed of all his books. Have you ever read any of the alternative Holmes stories not by Conan Doyle or even Laurie R King's work.

Have you ever read any of the alternative Holmes stories not by Conan Doyle or even Laurie R King's work.

Funnily enough, pickle it was a non ACD book that got me started on Sherlock. It was an excellent book by Caleb Carr called the Italian Secretary (it was cover that attracted me) and I then went on to the real thing. Having read ACD, I have to say that Caleb Carr's homage to the detective was extremely good.

I have a few books that pay homage to SH, namely the Seven Percent Solution by N Meyer and several books by David Stuart Davies including: The Game's Afoot and In the Shadow of Sherlock Holmes.

To my eternal shame I haven't read anything by Conan Doyle.

Call myself a crime genre fan.

This terrible oversight will be resolved on my next library visit. Hell I might even buy Hound of the Baskervilles and Study in Scarlet.