Starter For 10 by David Nicholls

Montmorency

It's set in the 1980's with Brian off to university while trying to keep his non-academic friends at home. Amazingly cringeworthy, I actually had to put the book down on several occasions because it made me squirm.

Anybody who wasn't the cool kid at school will emphasise with him

Sorry abut the short review :-)

...Oh and a brilliant ending

I read it when it first came out, and was pretty underwhelmed. I didn't think it was particularly original, and it reminded me a bit of a Adrian Mole, but overall I thought it was pretty average, and I can't say I'd recommend it to anyone.

I read this a few years ago, and to add to what Montmorency has said:

Brian has wanted to go to university and appear on University Challenge since he was a young boy watching the show with his now deceased father. Leaving his Mother and drop-out friends behind he heads off to university where he meets upper-class Alice and the more down to Earth activist Rebecca. The light-hearted book charts Brian's progress in getting on University Challenge, and his relationships with the two girls.

Myself, I really enjoyed this book for the most part but I hated the ending because

Brian doesn't take any responsibility for his actions, he just runs away.

For those that have seen it, the film staring James McAvoy - which Nicholls wrote the screenplay for - has a different ending that to my mind it is the ending the book should have had.

I haven't read it but hubby did and he wasn't overwhelmed. I saw the film though and liked it a lot (but then it was James McAvoy so I might not have been paying proper attention :blush:)

I really enjoyed 'One Day' though by the same author so perhaps I should have given 'Starter for Ten' a go.

• 11 months later...

Just because I liked this book very much, and am also very lazy atm to think up something new to say about it, I'll just post the link to my review (LINK).

I would definitely recommend it to anyone who's up for a bit of light and humorous reading :D