Willoyd's reading 2010-2011

willoyd

I have this book too along with several others and you're right they never reveal enough about Jane, there's a lot of supposition and conjecture (it's even worse for Shakespeare.) I can understand why Cassandra burnt the letters etc but it means we are left with a very sketchy picture (with all the interesting bits taken out.) It's such a difference to nowadays when we know practically everything about famous people. Still any book about her is worth reading just for the little snippets you do pick up. I always hate reading the end though, the account of her illness and death always make for sad reading .. it's especially sad that she ended up being buried in Winchester, a place she didn't particularly like.

Unless those burnt letters and papers turn up miraculously one day (having been buried like Pepys's Parmesan :)) I don't think we'll ever really get a true picture of her.

I agree with all of that poppy,especially about her illness. It seemed to come our of nowhere, but I suppose it did more often in those days. Just think what she could have written, especially as she'd relatively recently come out of that blank period and seemed to be picking up speed. On a slightly different tack, I've just bought the new Tomalin biography of Charles Dickens - a bargain price at Amazon. I was really disappointed that, with inspectors coming in to school next week, I didn't have time to go to her talk at the Ilkley Literature Festival earlier this week. She was superb last time I went to see (talking about her Sam Pepys biography).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides ****

I seem to have slowed up this year with my reading after one of the best years in 2010, and the past two or three weeks have been no exception, although that's not been so surprising with a school inspection uppermost in mind. So, in some ways, am actually surprised to have finished such a big book within those three weeks. Maybe not so surprising, given what an involving read it's been.

Middlesex is the story of three generations of Turkish-Greek immigrants to the States; the narrator is Callie Stephanides, the youngest member of the third generation, and, as a result of some hidden in-breeding, which the story is overtly an explanation of, a hermaphrodite. Right from the start, I was with characters that jumped off the page, larger than life, and a narrative that wove its way from the destruction of Smyrna almost effortlessly and with a strong streak of humour through American post-war urban history, showing how many of the key events and trends affected ordinary (?!) families. For much of the time this was totally unputdownable.

So, why 'only' 4 stars? I'm not sure, but somewhere in the second half it started to pall a bit. There was never any issue about finishing - I always wanted to know what happened next - but there was an identifiable point at the point where Callie met Dr Luce, where I found it just a little bit harder work, and where I started page counting to the end rather than wishing it wouldn't arrive. Indeed, the period of the journey to and in California really didn't do a lot for me at all. A mite too long? Lack of interest in the period/place/lifestyle? I don't know, but it all suddently seemed a bit too predictable, whilst the writing felt a bit more expansive, a bit thinner.

Having said that, I can understand the rave reviews the book has had. Overall, I really enjoyed it, and actually feel disappointed that I haven't given it 5 or even 6 stars, given how much I loved the first two-thirds, but there we go; I just ran out of steam!

Edited by willoyd

Where are Waterstone's going?

Spent an hour or so browsing in Waterstones today, and came away with.....nothing. Which has been the story for the last 3 or 4 visits. That's in spite of the fact that I've bought a fair amount lately, with birthday book tokens and a whole stream of interesting books being published.

But the fact of the matter is that since they've abandoned 3 for 2 for a policy, supposedly, of targeting individual books, there's pretty much no reason for me to shop in Waterstone's, especially as the number of individual offers, at least in the genres I'm interested in (largely non-fiction) has dried up. Are they falling between two stools? For pure discount, I'll go to the likes of Amazon. If I'm buying full price (which I am prepared to do, especially as I tend to buy books one by one now), then I'll go to my local independent. So, quite a lot of book buying lately, but zero from Waterstone's.

Is this just me?

No, it's not just you, I feel the same. I know they're giving individual discounts now but I don't find that anything like as good an incentive. They've stopped producing the Quarterly as well which is a big disappointment (though it had been sliding downhill for ages.) I'm with you, for individual discounts I'll go to Amazon. I don't want it to disappear from the high street though because it's my favourite browsing place so I will try and find books to buy especially at Christmas and Birthday times. What a shame though. I wonder what sort of effect it will have on their profits. I guess we'll find out in time.

I loved Middlesex, it's one of my favourite books ever but I do know what you mean about it dragging in places, I definitely preferred the first half of the book which was just so vivid and engaging. I often run out of steam with books though, there are very few books out there that don't annoy or bore me at some point ... it's almost like I'm willing them to disappoint me :D Reading books can be a bit like watching England play (football) ... it's either ... 1) fantastic 2) lot's of promise but no result 3) early success but not sustained or 4) total rubbish!

They've stopped producing the Quarterly as well which is a big disappointment (though it had been sliding downhill for ages).

Yes, I used to really enjoy that. The blow has been somewhat lessened since discovering The Literary Review though. I tried the London Review of Books for a while, but their choice of books was rarely what I'm interested in (although the bookshop near the British Museum is brilliant), but the LR is definitely up my street (although that's partly because I read a high proportion of non-fiction).

I definitely preferred the first half of the book which was just so vivid and engaging.

Totally agree.

Reading books can be a bit like watching England play (football)

I wouldn't know :wink: - I'm one of those men who dislike football - a bit of a handicap as a primary teacher, especially a male primary teacher! And not being English.....

But I do have every sympathy!

Edited by willoyd

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes ****

Intriguing. This is little more than a novella, barely 150 pages long, but packs more intertwining threads and questions in than books three times the length. Julian Barnes is always very readable, if somewhat cool and analytical for me to be a complete fan, but I often find it a struggle to 'get' his books, and this one is no exception.

This is basically the story of the narrator, 65-year old Tony Webster, and his relationship with an ex-girlfriend Veronica and boyhood friend Adrian. I don't want to say anything about the plot, as so much of the story depends on how it pans out (beware of review pages and blogs where discussion in depth seems to be rife). It's no giveaway though that the theme appears to be one of memory and how we use it and its fallibility to construct our own understanding of the world and our place in it. I did, however, find myself trawling those same blogs and reviews after finishing as I found the ending somewhat opaque - in other words typical Barnes. Reading round indicates that I'm very much not alone on this one - there is widespread confusion and uncertainty as to what actually happened, so in one sense I'm relieved it's not just me, in another I'm left feeling intensely frustrated, not least because my interpretation of the ending suggests that Barnes uses a rather unlikely chain of causation. "I just don't get it", and look forward to being able to discuss it.

All in all, an excellent highly readable book for a book group to discuss, but one that doesn't quite reach the heights for me as it leaves just too many key questions unanswered.

Edited by willoyd

• 2 weeks later...

Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson **** (out of 6)

A dark psychological thriller that has received multiple rave reviews. In fact, it was those rave reviews that persuaded me to pick this up, as it's not my normal fare. Perhaps, but this proved a cracking read, beautifully structured, winding the tension up nicely, and coming at you full throttle all of a sudden. I particularly liked the way(s) the author managed to get around the challenges of a main protagonist who loses her memory overnight every night, and indeed the way{s) that he used this to advantage to build up the suspense. I must admit though, the denouement wasn't totally unexpected - there are enough clues to flag up the possibility- but there were enough holes and uncertainties to keep one hanging in there avidly to the end: it certainly kept me gripped before, during and after a 2-hour flight (lots of airport hanging around when a Kindle comes into its own), snapping at my OH when she dared to interrupt the flow in the last 30 pages or so! Not great literature, with everything focused on the plotting, but a great 'airport' read (literally!).

Edited by willoyd

Friends In High Places by Donna Leon **** (out of 6)

Although an avid fan of the Guido Brunnetti series, of which this is the ninth, it's actually almost exactly a year since I read the last instalment, also on a trip to the books's setting, Venice (which is where this was started). Even so, it was gratifying how easy it was to slip back into. Brunnetti is that rare thing, a policeman with few emotional, psychological or social hangups - indeed he leads a remarkably 'ordinary' life, with a loving wife (a lecturer at the university) and two growing teenage children, with all the muddling along and ups and downs that this implies. All very middle class and very middle of the road, but completely involving. This is a character that one can really believe in, with a depth rarely achieved in the genre. Indeed, I find myself reading the books for the characters almost rather than the plots. I also read the books for the setting: Leon appears* to know her Venice well (she is a longterm resident) - certainly her books are eminently traceable (and it's great fun doing just that!).

Complimenting all this, the stories are rarely spectacular. They are certainly no great 'whodunnits', with murderers often not appearing until near the end, usually as a result of investigations. Instead, their strength, at least in plot terms, is in what the author tells us* about the society that Brunnetti and his family live in. This is Italy, and there is a very soft, dark underbelly into which Guido's work leads him all the way. In this case, it's corruptive temptations that the author wants us to believe* Italians have to deal with on an almost daily basis, and the world of moneylenders, with a major aside on drugs. Not all the loose ends are tied off (just as in real life), and indeed there are aspects about the way Brunnetti works that make this a little unreal (has he really only got one case on his plate, one that he almost chooses at a whim?), but as ever, I finished the book wanting to read more. Fortunately, there's plenty more to go at, and if she manages to sustain the standard after nine books, then I'm optimistic she can carry it on for another nine (or more!).

All in all, a four star read, but a six star series. It won't be a year until the next one!

* I add these caveats, as I'm not sufficiently expert to know whether the author is as accurate as the impression she gives

Edited by willoyd

Do you think the Brunetti stories read OK as stand alone stories Willoyd? Seeing as I read number 11 first..maybe I could read them backwards

You'll obviously gain a bit more if read in order, but they should be fine as standalones - there isn't any cross reference as far as I can ascertain. Just one exception: two major characters who appear in the first book 'Death at La Fenice' reappear in 'Acqua Alta'. Definitely better to have read 'La Fenice' first of the two.

Whoops! by John Lanchester ***** (out of 6)

I've had this book on my To Read shelf for a while, but was kicked into actually reading it by a discussion in the staffroom the other day, when I realised I really didn't understand how things had got to such a pass economically lately, and that I wanted to (not least because everybody was vague about the causes)! This is a highly readable, clearly explained, wittily written account of how the 'credit crunch' happened, and why we are in the mess we're currently in. I could have read it in one sitting, except for the fact that there was a lot to get my head round, and I needed time to do so. I still do - this is one book that deserves instant rereading, especially having tried to explain the line that the author takes to my OH, and learned that, whilst I had a decent grasp on the outline, there was still detail that I wanted to fill in (that is there, but I hadn't recalled it properly). Nothing like trying to explain something to somebody else to make sure you've understood things yourself!

A few reviewers have commented that Lanchester is too simplistic. Well, he might be, although the weight of reviews is heavily in his favour and most of these comments seem to come from the very financial types and attitudes which got us into this mess, but I'm not so sure. Anyway, it's encouraged me to dive in a bit further, and I intend to try out something like Gillian Tett's "Fools' Gold" in the not too distant future. In the meantime, I came across the phrase 'credit default swap' in the paper today, and realised that I actually understood what the writer was talking about, rather than doing my usual glazing over, so I must have learned something! For anybody with even a vague interest in understanding what is happening in the world, and with only a layman's understanding of business finance (I.e. not much!), I can thoroughly recommend this. I just wish now that I was clearer on how it all links in with the current Euro crisis (I think I get it, but am not sure), which, interestingly, Lanchester says in his 2009 written book is likely to be the next crisis.

Edited by willoyd

Whoops! by John Lanchester ***** (out of 6)

I've had this book on my To Read shelf for a while, but was kicked into actually reading it by a discussion in the staffroom the other day, when I realised I really didn't understand how things had got to such a pass economically lately, and that I wanted to (not least because everybody was vague about the causes)! This is a highly readable, clearly explained, wittily written account of how the 'credit crunch' happened, and why we are in the mess we're currently in. I could have read it in one sitting, except for the fact that there was a lot to get my head round, and I needed time to do so. I still do - this is one book that deserves instant rereading, especially having tried to explain the line that the author takes to my OH, and learned that, whilst I had a decent grasp on the outline, there was still detail that I wanted to fill in (that is there, but I hadn't recalled it properly). Nothing like trying to explain something to somebody else to make sure you've understood things yourself!

A few reviewers have commented that Lanchester is too simplistic. Well, he might be, although the weight of reviews is heavily in his favour and most of these comments seem to come from the very financial types and attitudes which got us into this mess, but I'm not so sure. Anyway, it's encouraged me to dive in a bit further, and I intend to try out something like Gillian Tett's "Fools' Gold" in the not too distant future. In the meantime, I came across the phrase 'credit default swap' in the paper today, and realised that I actually understood what the writer was talking about, rather than doing my usual glazing over, so I must have learned something! For anybody with even a vague interest in understanding what is happening in the world, and with only a layman's understanding of business finance (I.e. not much!), I can thoroughly recommend this. I just wish now that I was clearer on how it all links in with the current Euro crisis (I think I get it, but am not sure), which, interestingly, Lanchester says in his 2009 written book is likely to be the next crisis.

Will definitely read this one thanks Willoyd!!

Death Comes To Pemberley by PD James **** (out of 6)

This has, in my view, received a fairly undeserved roasting on Amazon, although I can understand why it did: Austen readers are notoriously protective of the beloved Jane, and whilst this is meant to be a sequel to Pride and Prejudice, there are aspects of it that don't ring totally true for it to be read as seamlessly following on. But it IS a well written, fairly light but thoroughly enjoyable novel which builds on the original - indeed its roots are firmly buried in it. To that extent I think it shows great respect to one of the greats of English literature, respect that would not have been there if James had tried to emulate/mimic Austen.

The balance and perspective has certainly changed, and I think this will be one of the main offences in the eyes of Janeites: Darcy is the central protagonist in this one, with the reader much more privy to his feelings and thoughts than to Elizabeth's. There are smatterings of Elizabeth's unique and much loved character, but the Bennet sisters aren't so absolutely stage centre in this story. Others, such as Mr and Mrs Bennet, barely appear, if at all. I also think that James's style will grate somewhat on the purist's reading mind: the emphasis is primarily on the plot, and what characterisation there is is largely dependent on the reader's knowledge of the original book - James does little to really develop the main protagonists other than, perhaps, Colonel Fitzwilliam.

So, if you go into this thinking that you will be enjoying more of the Jane Austen style, you are likely to be disappointed. If, on the other hand, you go into this wanting to see how things might have turned out, whilst enjoying a murder mystery eighteenth century style, then you are likely to enjoy it. I did: it wasn't the greatest novel I've read this year, far from it, but it provided several very enjoyable and relaxing hours reading about some of my favourite characters in literature written by an accomplished author who obviously loves them as well. It probably should have been a 3 star read in terms of quality, but I found myself not wanting to put it down and being sucked into the story sufficiently that it just about warrants a fourth star.

Edited by willoyd

All Hell Let Loose by Max Hastings ****** (out of 6)

AHLL is Max Hastings's single volume history of World War Two, and is, quite simply, outstanding. I was completely hooked from the opening paragraphs. Although I'm not exactly a military history or WW2 aficionado, I think I have a pretty reasonable general grasp of the history of this period, but every page seemed to throw up something new, all written in a highly readable, highly fluent style. In particular, Hastings has the happy knack of identifying and using the most apposite individual eye witness accounts and testaments (I'm sure with researchers help!) to illustrate the rather more broadly sweeping but perceptive overview that one is looking for in a such a volume, without the narrative and analysis being overwhelmed by and overreliant on them, all too often the fate of many modern histories. The balance of coverage is equally well balanced, with the Russian theatre receiving the prominence that is due to one that proved to be the crux of the destruction of the Nazi war effort, along with the birth of the Soviet empire that dominated post-war politics; the wholesale slaughter and lack of humanity was almost overwhelming. Certainly, there is no doubting the brutality of the war from the straightforward, clean prose that Hastings employs, prose that is all the more powerful as a result.

All in all, this is one of the best narrative history books that I can recall reading. It received rave reviews, and all I can say is that I think they were thoroughly deserved.

Edited by willoyd

All Hell Let Loose by Max Hastings ****** (out of 6)

AHLL is Max Hastings's single volume history of World War Two, and is, quite simply, outstanding. I was completely hooked from the opening paragraphs. Although I'm not exactly a military history or WW2 aficionado, I think I have a pretty reasonable general grasp of the history of this period, but every page seemed to throw up something new, all written in a highly readable, highly fluent style. In particular, Hastings has the happy knack of illustrating the using individual eye witness accounts and testaments (I'm sure with researchers help!) to illustrate the rather more broadly sweeping but perceptive overview that one is looking for in a such a volume, without the narrative and analysis being overwhelmed by and overreliant on them, all too often the fate of many modern histories. The balance of coverage is equally well balanced, with the Russian theatre receiving the prominence that is due to one that proved to be the crux of the destruction of the Nazi war effort, along with the birth of the Soviet empire that dominated post-war politics; the wholesale slaughter and lack of humanity was almost overwhelming. Certainly, there is no doubting the brutality of the war from the straightforward, clean prose that Hastings employs, prose that is all the more powerful as a result.

All in all, this is one of the best narrative history books that I can recall reading. It received rave reviews, and all I can say is that I think they were thoroughly deserved.

This sounds like something my hubby would really enjoy. Thanks for the review I think I'll surprise him with it for Christmas smile.gif

A Boy At The Hogarth Press by Richard Kennedy *** (out of 6)

An account of the time the author spent as an apprentice to Leonard and Virginia Woolf. It's a slim volume, barely one hundred pages, with a fair bit of the space taken up by the author's line illustrations, which seem to capture the mood perfectly. It's a thoroughly enjoyable, very light, read. Kennedy is obviously not a natural inhabitant of the Bloomsbury set's environment, and his lack of competence for the job shines through his gently self-deprecating prose. There's some lovely touches of humour, not least that surrounding the building (and later collapse) of a shelf. It only has three stars because there simply wasn't time to build up any more - it's just that little bit too short to be wholly satisfying. However, well worth a read.

Kidsmum: if your husband is at all interested in military/WW2 history, then I'd say that All Hell Let Loose is a must. Hope it works out!

Edited by willoyd

A Boy At The Hogarth Press by Richard Kennedy *** (out of 6)

An account of the time the author spent as an apprentice to Leonard and Virginia Woolf. It's a slim volume, barely one hundred pages, with a fair bit of the space taken up by the author's line illustrations, which seem to capture the mood perfectly. It's a thoroughly enjoyable, very light, read. Kennedy is obviously not a natural inhabitant of the Bloomsbury set's environment, and his lack of competence for the job shines through his gently self-deprecating prose. There's some lovely touches of humour, not least that surrounding the building (and later collapse) of a shelf. It only has three stars because there simply wasn't time to build up any more - it's just that little bit too short to be wholly satisfying. However, well worth a read.

I have this on my wishlist ... it's a must isn't it for anyone at all interested in Leonard & Virginia.

I have this on my wishlist ... it's a must isn't it for anyone at all interested in Leonard & Virginia.

I have it in a Slightly Foxed edition, included alongside his other autobiographical work A Parcel of Time, all about his childhood. They make lovely books!

Definitely one for the Woolf aficionado - worth reading for the descriptions of both LW and VW alone, particularly the former.

Edited by willoyd

The Nativity: History and Legend by Geza Vermes ** (out of 6)

A slim volume, barely 160 pages, that aims to do pretty much what it says on the tin, examining the history and legend of the nativity. It's been on my TBR shelf for a while, but I finally came to it after a visiting cleric at my school told the children that what they were telling the children was a "true story". True? Hmmmm. How true?

Well, the answer appears to be not much, at least not if we focus simply on the factual veracity. Prior to reading this, I went back to the Bible to check up on the Christmas stories. I already knew that Mark and John had nothing, but what I hadn't really taken on board was how different the stories told by Luke and Matthew actually are. Not only different, but in places thoroughly contradictory. Vermes looks at all of this in some detail.

I say in some detail, but I have to admit that I was a mite disappointed in that detail. For me, the balance of this book was wrong. I was interested in the Christmas story itself, but in fact what Vermes looks at are the "infant Gospels", so a fair chunk of the book is taken up with other matters: some 20 pages on the genealogies (which differ), a whole section on the stories of Jesus getting lost and being found in the Temple. The actual material on the Nativity story itself was relatively spartan: 4 pages on the star, half a dozen on the location and dating. Nor was it that easy to read - Vermes would start of alright, but there was, for me, too much creep into what read as semil-theological gobbledegook. Frankly, I found myself skimming too much of this, not particularly interested. There were some very interesting sections, but even those were a times just a bit too woolly for my taste, although I did find the section discussing the concept of virginity one of the most illuminating sections of the book. I was able to draw out some conclusions, not least that Matthew was probably more concerned with telling a story that satisfied the prophecies of the coming of a Messiah than the actual birth story of Jesus (not surprising really), that we may well be misunderstanding the concept of virginity that the original writers were using, and that probably the elements of the Nativity as we now know it that are "true" is that Jesus was born, and that his parents were Joseph and Mary.

All in all, I was looking for a book that examined the historical basis of the Christmas story. In part I found it, but unfortunately that part was just too small and of insufficient depth to really satisfy. On the plus side, it has made me want to read further though, and I've started reading AN Wilson's biography of Jesus as a result.

Edited by willoyd

Dark Matter by Michelle Paver ***** (out of 6)

My ghost story for Christmas, and with a reasonably apposite setting, the high Arctic, Spitzbergen (Svalbard) to be preciese. The plotting is fairly conventional, but no less gripping for all that, whilst the setting really grabbed me. Although I've not experienced an Arctic winter, I have spent a fair bit of time in the north, including a summer holiday living in a hut on the coast near the northernmost point of Iceland's northwest pensinsular, and the book brought all that flooding back.

I always like to read the one and two star reviews in Amazon - I'm not normally into the gushing that tends to substitute for reviewing there - and even when enjoying a book I can normally see where these reviewers are coming from, but on this occasion I have to say that I profoundly disagreed with almost everything that was said, especially on issues of fact etc (whether one likes the story is obviously personal), much underlining rather paradoxically, quite why I actually liked the book.

Much of the criticism centred on supposedly unnecessary strands being introduced: elemnts of animal cruelty, class issues, a homosexual subtext (er, no, you don't understand what's really being said). Oh no they weren't, unnecessary that is. Paver plotted this very carefully, and everything, but everything, contributes to why Jack (the central character) does what he does and is who he is. Indeed, I finished the book admiring how tightly the author kept everyting together. Equally, her understanding of both time and place far outran those of her critics, who all seemed to buried in their own 21st century locale. So....a tautly written story with a consuming sense of place. The vast majority of readers loved it, and so did I.

Thank you for your kind comment Weave!

Edited by willoyd

• 2 weeks later...

Jacob's Room by Virginia Woolf *****

Although this is an earlier book (her third), this reminds me of The Years; it's a story spread over a number of years (this time about one individual, the life of the eponymous Jacob, rather than a whole family), told through a series of short episodes, some barely longer than a snapshot, almost, it seems, chosen at random. It's not an easy read, requiring the reader to be fully awake and able to concentrate, so definitely not a book for bedtime reading! However, I found it, like so much of Woolf's work, to be very rewarding. She packs a huge amount into a very short space, to the extent that a book that is barely 170-odd pages long, feels like it's covered as much ground as others over twice the length; so much, though, is implied or barely touched upon. Blink, and you'll miss key moments.

As ever, I loved Woolf's sense of place: it seems to me that every small moment has to be positioned exactly in the landscape and, to be honest, she could probably just write about this to garner a maximum score from me, I get so wrapped up in the scenery. I did, however, find the character development harder in JR than in other books read so far. So many seem to walk through, often barely passing, that it's hard to keep in touch with who's what. In some cases this is deliberate, but it's the mild confusion that this created for me that drops the book down a star from the maximum six.

To be honest, I struggled to keep track of what what was going on at times, but that I think was the result of reading in too short bursts. When I eventually was able to settle down and really get my teeth into the book (after the end of term), it was transformed, and the book flowed so much better. So, this is NOT one to consign to the bedside table, or to anywhere other than a comfortable chair, a fully awake mind, and an extended period of reading. To that end, I will almost certainly reread early in the New Year at a time when those criteria can all be fulfilled.

Edited by willoyd

Fludd by Hilary Mantel **

Set in a 1950s Northern mill town, a very reluctant Father Angwen is pressurised by his bishop into 'modernising' his church and preaching, to bring his parish up to date. To that end, the bishop tells the father that he is to receive a curate to help him stay on the straight and narrow, and Father Fludd duly arrives. The book concentrates on the transformations effected, and the effects they in turn have.

I have to admit struggling with this. It didn't help that it was described as funny - I really don't do 'funny' in books generally (with some gloriously rare exceptions), most so-called funny books appearing to me exactly the opposite. I could see why Fludd might be seen as funny, and why some might even find it funny, but frankly I found it dull and all rather unlikely. It picked up near the end, but overall there was far too much talk and not enough of anything else, and the humour seemed, as it does all too often, to be rather forced. Overall, I was glad this was a slim book as otherwise I don't think I would have bothered finishing, and I really don't enjoy that (but life's too short to do otherwise on occasions).

The end of year rush is nigh, so three quick reviews of books read in the past couple of days.

Snowdrops by AD Miller ***

Booker short listed, this tells the story of the downfall of an expat banker, Nicholas, living and working in Moscow, and gradually drawn into a couple of classic stings. (Snowdrops refers to the dead who emerge from under the snow at the end of the Russian winter - one appears in the opening scene.)

That isn't giving much if anything away either. This may have been short listed, but I found it very predictable and ordinary (not all the newspaper reviewers were over-wowed either). I felt I just spent the entire novel waiting for the denouement, knowing pretty much exactly how it would all happen. I'm fairly certain that was the author's intention - it's the moral corruption that he's really focusing on, but I simply couldn't get past the question as to how and why Nicholas failed to see it all coming - it just fulfilled every standard story of post-Soviet Russia. Indeed, I can't get over what a pathetic character Nicholas is - I just couldn't care what happened to him in the end. It is well written, which is why it just about scrapes three stars, but for me adds nothing to the genre. Frankly, I can't really see why it was in the Booker listings.

Amsterdam by Ian McEwan *****

Having seriously not enjoyed Enduring Love some years ago, wasn't sure what I was going to make of this, but it's short, it was cheap (80p from a charity shop), and the opening pages were promising......

In fact, it couldn't have been more different. The early promise continued, the characters developed beautifully (I really enjoyed their inner monologues, revealing so much about them as characters), the twists and turns and development of the moral issues far less predictable than the previous book, all with a lightness of touch, a sense of humour, that kept one engrossed, and the book moved along at great pace. It's short, yes, but I couldn't believe how quickly I got through it. I did feel the ending was a little bit contrived, which is why it's certainly no six star, but that aside, it worked beautifully for me. One of the more pleasant surprises this year: having been put off McEwan's writing previously, I'm now looking to sample some more.

A Clubbable Woman by Reginald Hill ****

The first Dalziel and Pascoe novel. Not as intricate as later works, but the characters are already starting to develop nicely, and the plot rattles along sufficiently that I got through in almost one sitting (a 15 minute break at one point!). That's book number 40 for the year, - talk about a last gasp surge after a desperately slow start to the year.

Edited by willoyd