Erin's Recent Readings 2010/2011

MountainGirl

5/7/2010

I just finished House Rules by Jodi Picoult last night.

I found it very entertaining! I enjoyed the different perspectives of the characters, which sometimes will throw me off. It has subtle funny moments that made me laugh right out loud. I give it four and a half stars because it was interesting, but it was also frustrating to struggled through the pages, as Jacob, the main character is diagnosed with Aspergers. I think she writes this book in a way that makes you struggle with him, and the people in his life, when you know what he needs to say, but he just cant. :lol:

Edited by MountainGirl

5/10/2010

Today I started reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. It's been ok so far. I had a little trouble at first getting into it.. but it seems to be picking up momentum as it goes though. Hopefully it will live up to the expectations everyone (everywhere) has been raving about. I'm eager to get into it, as I really need a good page-turner.

I'm reading 'House Rules' right now, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! I'm having a bit of trouble getting into it as much as I have her other ones, but I'm hoping it will pick up soon. :blush:

I'm reading 'House Rules' right now, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! I'm having a bit of trouble getting into it as much as I have her other ones, but I'm hoping it will pick up soon. :)

*Hi Beth!!* :blush:

I got into it pretty much right away so I really hope it gets better for you. It was def. different than the other books I've read by her, but I seem to be interested about kids with autism.. so that may have helped. Let me know if you end up liking or hating it! There are things I didn't like.. but I don't want to spoil it!!

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been on vacation for this week and havent really had any time to read -- Other than on the plane!! but today I did actually get to relax a bit and read some -- and im really getting into this book. It's becoming hard to put down, and getting my attention a lot... Actually I'm gonna quit this, and go sit and read while I watch the waves on the ocean :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

So finally with much distraction, I finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. ** I give it 3.90/5 stars

The end was very suspenseful, but ultimately ended the way I thought it would, besides the reason WHY..

I must say it started out really slow, and I could have put it down and many times did, but loyally returned. I wonder though if it was a deliberate slowness, as I'm sure their lives were slow while trying to figure out how/why Harriet disappeared at first.

I read the teaser in the back of the book for The Girl Who Played With Fire, and it is very enticing... and I may end up going out tonight to buy it, I'm not sure. The way it ended leaves me wondering how Mikael feels.. and what Lisbeth Salander's past is about... But is it as slow starting and detailed as the beginning of this one? I'm not sure if I'm up for it just now.

** I caved, and went out tonight and bought the book -- so far I'm very into it! Glad I bought it! How does everyone else feel about this book? has anyone finished all three books? are they all must reads?

Edited by MountainGirl
to add star rating & an update

• 2 weeks later...

O my goodness, I have hardly read at all this past week. Today, I'm not posting on this, I'm going to get to reading this book! I feel like I've been stuck on it forever! This forum is addicting, and it takes my reading time and throws it out the window :blush:

I am about to give up on this book. I don't think its me. I'm easily distracted from it which usually doesn't happen to me.

What should I read next?

This is what I'm considering:

The Private Patient

The Book Thief

Odd Thomas

The Taking

The Secret Garden

Chelsea Handler:

Are you there vodka? its me chelsea / my horizontal life / bang bang

any other suggestions would be helpful

I enjoyed Odd Thomas. But I have always wanted to read The Secret Garden, and never got round to it :D You are very sensible moving on to another book when you are just not enjoying one!

Thanks for the understanding guys! I went to go look for one yesterday with my dad, but we didn't have enough time for me to thoroughly look for a new book :D maybe tomorrow I'll go, I just feel really bad ditching the other book!!

• 1 month later...

So after I finished The Girl Who Played With Fire, I read The Book Thief which I really quite enjoyed. I was balling like a baby in the ending, even though you knew what was going to happen. I loved the narrator, and thought it was a neat point of view. It was tough because I went through the whole book, knowing that certain things will be happening eventually, and hating them, and just hoping something would change, and it never did!

Then I read Shiver and Linger, which came off as twilight rip-off's at first, being the wolf side of things.. but then it kind of had its own story. They weren't addicting really and I just read it to read it. Linger seemed to drag on and be a bit repetitive, but it was interesting and just an easy fast read for both of them.

Now I've got my self into Whispers by Dean Koontz. It's sucked me in pretty good, but I haven't had a lot of time with it to read. It's been a rough couple of months and I've hardly been online. I also went on an awesome vacation to the Adirondack mountains! so needed to get away, and so wish I was still there!

The MockingJay comes out the 24th I'm pretty excited about that!

I bought:

The Private Patient & The Secret Garden but they are on my TBR pile!

Edited by MountainGirl

So after I finished The Girl Who Played With Fire, I read The Book Thief which I really quite enjoyed. I was balling like a baby in the ending, even though you knew what was going to happen. I loved the narrator, and thought it was a neat point of view. It was tough because I went through the whole book, knowing that certain things will be happening eventually, and hating them, and just hoping something would change, and it never did!

I bawled too! I loved that book so much. :)

The MockingJay comes out the 24th I'm pretty excited about that!

I have this on preorder but I haven't read the first two yet. I'm carefully planning it so I hopefully won't have to wait long in between the 2nd and 3rd books. :)

Edited by Kylie

• 8 months later...

I'm back to reading. I never finished Whispers - not sure why but I'll probably pick it up again this summer some time. I am currently reading Dead Until Dark and will probably read some of the books in this series. I need something that keeps my attention that makes me just want to keep reading more than anything else.

I just finished Water for Elephants. It was pretty good. I give it 4/5 stars. it wasn't brilliant but it became something I couldn't put down. I saw the movie tonight - they changed a lot so beware if you're going to see it. I had to bite my tongue every time I wanted to lean over and tell my boyfriend that it didn't go like that!! but all in all the movie was good too. I'm pretty good at separating the movie and book.

Edited by MountainGirl

• 1 month later...

After Water For Elephants I started reading the Sookie Stackhouse Novels and got up to All Together Dead. In between them, while I was in Florida I read Amityville Horror which was probably a 3.5/5. Then I was on another trip I didn't have the next Sookie book but I did happen to bring along Whispers by Dean Koontz. Which was surprisingly really hard to put down! It did end up creeping me out quite a bit - which I didn't notice until I'd be reading it and my dog would bark next to me and I'd jump out of my chair.. or I wouldn't notice my boyfriend and he'd touch me or say something and I'd jump real bad again! And if I was reading before bed I was a little afraid to go to the bathroom. These little creepy times I didn't expect at all! I wasn't scared reading the book but something inside me must have been! Now I'm reading The Taking by Dean Koontz and so far its pretty good.

I will return to the Sookie Stackhouse novels after The taking, but I was getting really annoyed by Harris' need to continually remind me of things I already know in every single book. Who Bill is, Who Eric is, Who everyone I already know is. And random things like that - that anyone who has been reading the series already knows. She probably wanted to create it so you could start reading them at any book, but I get really annoyed by it. Does anyone else??

Edited by MountainGirl

I will return to the Sookie Stackhouse novels after The taking, but I was getting really annoyed by Harris' need to continually remind me of things I already know in every single book. Who Bill is, Who Eric is, Who everyone I already know is. And random things like that - that anyone who has been reading the series already knows. She probably wanted to create it so you could start reading them at any book, but I get really annoyed by it. Does anyone else??

I haven't noticed it myself, but I've been leaving long gaps between the books and I have a bad memory, so I've probably been grateful to have my memory refreshed (that said, my memory isn't so bad that I don't know who Bill and Eric are :wink:).

I read the Baby-Sitters Club books when I was a kid and in every single book - about 200 of them - there were 2 chapters (out of around 15) that were devoted to describing the characters and the club. :huh:

Yes it annoys me too.

Did you know she works for Sam at Merlotte's bar where she wears a uniform of a white tee and black shorts. I think it was in the second book I started to feel that she mentioned it on every page. I have read the first three but I am having a break from the now if it wasn't for these constant reminders I would enjoy them so much more and would probably finished them by now.

haha too funny. Yea maybe I'll do what Kylie does and break it up, maybe I'll forget all the big details!

I'm reading The Taking, and only about quarter of the way through it, but I'm a little weirded out being alone in the house today! It is also raining...

I finished The Taking the other day. I really enjoyed reading it. I'd give it a 4/5 stars. I'd never read a book about aliens so it was kind of a cool side track. I'm wondering what I should read next. Should I continue with the Dean Koontz books, go back to Sookie or try something entirely new? Decisions Decisions.

• 1 month later...

I've just gotten back from my yearly trip up to the ADK mountains. I finished reading The Bride Collector by Ted Dekker while was up there and also read The Help by kathryn stockett and Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult and Lightning by Dean Koontz.

The Bride Collector was ok probably a 3/5 stars. I'm not running off to read anything else by Dekker right away, though I probably will if I get around to it. The Help was a really neat book, I really enjoyed reading it. I'd say it deserves 4.75/5 stars. It's intense and thought provoking. Plain Truth was good. 4/5 stars. I couldn't put it down but it wasn't my favorite book by Jodi either. Lighting was great. 4.5/5. I loved the story of Laura from her birth to the end of the book. I found my self reading, and looking at how far I had left to go, and glad that I had so much left to read. I didn't want it to end until it got to be too sify for me at the end.

I had stopped reading sookie. I started From Dead to Worse and bought the remaining books I need to read.. but just haven't found my self back to them. I'm reading A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and plan on getting Under the Dome by Stephen King - I heard it was really good has anyone read it?