How to Live a Simple Life

Coffin Nail

We live in the country with a good supply of firewood available. All our winter heating is by a wood fire and we also have a wood burning Raeburn. During to colder months I turn the hot water cylinder power off and heat the water via the stove and also cook the evening meal on it. I find it saves almost half our power bill. I love the fact that even if the power goes off we still have hot water and food.

• Like 3

Thought inspired by @France: how does everyone feel about the simple life idea and clothing? 
A lot of clothes just aren’t made to last now. @France mentioned using Vinted in another thread (I’ve never actually tried that one myself but I’ve heard others say it’s very good). 
A while ago I saw an article that mentioned a new website (called ‘everything5pounds’) which would aim to reduce fast fashion waste by selling old stock at very reduced prices. I did give them a try, buying a jumper for £3 and a dress for £2.50. It still seems silly that there’s so much waste to begin with, but at least those things won’t end up in landfill. 

• Like 1

The problem with Vinted is that you can end up with a lot of clothes on the 'I can't resist a bargain' basis! And there really are bargains, for instance  I bought a  pair of worn once Desigual trainers covered in sequins which I adore for 10€ and three pairs of nearly new Marks and Spencer shorts for 12€. I hunt out Sketchers which are so comfortable but not worth the money you have to pay for them in the shops. However you have to be careful, the descriptions aren't always that  accurate, I bought a shirt which was 2 sizes larger than stated on the site but my daughter loved it so no wastage there.

This year I think the only clothes I've bought from shops are a pair of trousers for work, a pair of jeans and a tee shirt.

12 hours ago, France said:

for instance  I bought a  pair of worn once Desigual trainers covered in sequins which I adore for 10€

Oh wow, that was a good find! 

12 hours ago, France said:

However you have to be careful, the descriptions aren't always that  accurate

This has really been the thing that made me reluctant to try Vinted. It seems as though it would be quite easy for a seller to misrepresent something and I believe it’s just up to the individual if they accept returns? Although the site seems popular enough that it can’t be a huge issue. 

11 hours ago, Hayley said:

Oh wow, that was a good find! 

This has really been the thing that made me reluctant to try Vinted. It seems as though it would be quite easy for a seller to misrepresent something and I believe it’s just up to the individual if they accept returns? Although the site seems popular enough that it can’t be a huge issue. 

I think it's generally more of a genuine error than deliberate deception. And even though some some sellers say they won't accept returns it's different if the item is obviously not as described. I gather what you have to be careful about is pricey branded goods, my daughter bought a baby carrier that turned out to be a Chinese fake. Vinted banned the seller but it was too late to get her money back by then.

I only buy things which are low priced enough for me to be able to shrug and think you can't win every time if it doesn't fit/suit me and I tend to only buy makes I know what the sizing is like.

On 10/17/2023 at 11:37 AM, France said:

Vinted banned the seller but it was too late to get her money back by then.

Oh that’s annoying :(. At least they can’t do it to anybody else! I think you have a good point about only buying things that are low price.