Paul Auster-City of Glass/New York Trilogy

pontalba

City of Glass first in The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster

I just finished the first novella in Paul Auster's The New York Trilogy, City of Glass. Don't ever let anyone ever tell you that Humbert Humbert of Lolita is the most unreliable narrator around. Because certainly the narrator of this novella has to take the prize for unreliability. I haven't assimilated yet, but a stranger detective story I have never read. I am not even sure if I liked it or not. I liked the way it opened....there was a great deal of introspective narration that I enjoyed. But there were also several pages of difficult dialogue that was hard to get through, but afterwards it all made sense. As much sense as anything ended up making. Oh, and there was a wonderful doppelganger moment too! In fact doppelganger threads form a pattern that is not immediately discernable, but slowly become clearer.

City of Glass is an account of an author of detective stories, that has endured a tragedy of his own, and his somewhat unorthodox manner of dealing with the tragedy. An evidently crossed telephone line leads him to accept a job as a private investigator. Was it chance? And how many narrators are there? All worthy questions, and probably a reread is in order. But not right now, my brain is still fuddled from the first reading. The more I think about it, the more I can say with fair reliability that I did enjoy the story. One thing for sure, I couldn't stop reading, I was compelled to finish.

City of Glass first in The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster

The more I think about it, the more I can say with fair reliability that I did enjoy the story. One thing for sure, I couldn't stop reading, I was compelled to finish.

That sounds good enough for me, Pontalba! :D

• 2 years later...

No, I hate to say, but I haven't. :lol:

However, I have read a couple other of Auster's work, and found them to be more my cup of tea. I will go back to Trilogy someday, but not today. :roll:

I've read:

The Book of Illusions

Man in the Dark

Moon Palace

And have In the Country of Last Things in the stack.

I vaguely remember reading the New York Trilogy years ago, and the conclusion being that Paul Auster had set out to subvert the 'taken for granted' relationship the reader has with an narrator, and indeed the author.

Fascinating and disturbing in equal parts.

• 2 months later...