"The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss

Huzafa

Hi, just finished reading "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, book one of the KingKiller Chronicles Series. Having been completely absorbed into the story, I was devasted to find that the next book "The Wise Man's Fear" won't be coming out till March 2011! :D

This means we all have to wait for 10 more months to begin finding out some answers to the powerful riddles left by the first book. This is something that kinda annoys me! (Although I understand I don't have it as bad as those that read this book 2-3 years ago!)

So, I was wondering if any of you, who have finished this book, would like to discuss it a bit. What do you think will happen in the next book? Any opinions about the nature/history of the Chandrian? What do you all make of Denna's past? Do you think her past is related to the Chandrian in any way?

If you have any questions of your own to pose, please feel free to do so.

PS. If you haven't worked it out already, do not read ahead if you have not read/finished reading The Name of Wind, lest you spoil the ending of the book for yourself!

• 1 month later...

Hello! I think I'm one of those that you mention in your post - I read it quite a long time ago. It's not especially clear but I remember that I really enjoyed it and couldn't put it down. I've been waiting for the next in the series and hadn't seen that date so thanks for posting it!

I'm going to add this to my re-read pile so I can have a proper chat with you about it :-) I do remember being particularly gripped during the retelling of his teenage years before and during his university days.

I hope to continue this with you and others soon!

Yeah, definitely, I look forward to it. Just let me know when you are done re-reading it, I'm just glad that someone has replied to my post! :irked:

I'll probably have to skim through the book since I need a bit of memory rejogging too! :D

May I discuss my frustration with the second book not being released yet?

And I must wait for the paperback! :irked::D

Ha! I keeping my fingers crossed that Waterstones will do a deal on the hardback otherwise it's going to be an even longer wait. I'm sure it will be worth it though, with the detail in the first one I wouldn't want the second rushed :-)

I've picked this book up a few times and considered buying it but have been put off by the lack of further books in the series. I made a decision a while ago not to buy into a series unless it's complete or at least nearly complete, so it's a no go for me at the moment, but I'm intrigued by the idea that it's written like a biography. It's definitely one I'll consider in the future.

I've picked this book up a few times and considered buying it but have been put off by the lack of further books in the series. I made a decision a while ago not to buy into a series unless it's complete or at least nearly complete, so it's a no go for me at the moment, but I'm intrigued by the idea that it's written like a biography. It's definitely one I'll consider in the future.

Yeah I definitely think it was worth buying. You could be waiting for some time though; apparently its taken, or will have taken, 5 years for the second book to be released after the first one. Cannot begin to fathom how long it will take the third and final one to be released. :D

the next book "The Wise Man's Fear" won't be coming out till March 2011! :(

I preordered this as soon as I could and at the moment, expected delivery for both the hardback and trade paperback editions is actually August 2011 according to Amazon :D If you're waiting for the paperback it's an even longer wait - March 2012!!!

Yeah I definitely think it was worth buying. You could be waiting for some time though; apparently its taken, or will have taken, 5 years for the second book to be released after the first one. Cannot begin to fathom how long it will take the third and final one to be released. :D

:D

See, I'm already in this position with George R. R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice & Fire' series. It's five years since the last one of those was released, and there's supposedly another two to come after the next one - so I don't particularly want another series like it on my hands at the moment.

I know I'll eventually give in to temptation, though :lol::(

:D

See, I'm already in this position with George R. R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice & Fire' series. It's five years since the last one of those was released, and there's supposedly another two to come after the next one - so I don't particularly want another series like it on my hands at the moment.

I know I'll eventually give in to temptation, though :D:(

Yeah, I completely understand, and I've been in the same situation a few times. But for me, I kinda like being in those scenarios. Yeah, of course its frustrating when you have to wait for years to unravel whatever mysteries of the series you're reading, but, and call me sad, I like the feeling when you DO get to the end of a series that lasted the time span of an eon. :D

It feels like you've completed an epic journey, and it feels just that much more epic.(Again, call me sad) :lol:

But, anyway, steering slightly back on track of the topic I posted above, does anyone want to start discussing the book...? :D

I loved this book. It took me a while to get through because it's not the type of book where you can read fast. You need to take in every word because Rothfuss writing is just beautiful and enchanting.

I'm very curious about the Deanna character though all of them a well written and brings something to the story. I was a bit bugged by Kwothe and how perfect he was until I realized that that in fact was his flaw, believing himself to be perfect.

I can't wait for the next one!! But I guess I have to. I waited for so many year on the Harry Potter books that it feel kind of nice to have something to wait for something again.

I'm very curious about the Deanna character though all of them a well written and brings something to the story.

Yeah, I was intrigued by Denna too. If I remember correctly, there were some hints in the book that her past could somehow have been related to the Chandrian. Because nothing was mentioned about her family, I have got a feeling that they must have been victim of a Chandrian onslaught, similar to Kvothe.

Or maybe Denna is a member of the Chandrian....that would be bizarre. :D

Yeah, I was intrigued by Denna too. If I remember correctly, there were some hints in the book that her past could somehow have been related to the Chandrian. Because nothing was mentioned about her family, I have got a feeling that they must have been victim of a Chandrian onslaught, similar to Kvothe.

Or maybe Denna is a member of the Chandrian....that would be bizarre. :D

She could be related to them somehow, you never know ;) But there is most definitely some connection. She does seem very lonely and I like her with Kvothe. I wonder what happens to her, she not in the picture when he tells the story as far as I can tell. And do you think the story will pick up from the time he tells it in the third book?

She could be related to them somehow, you never know ;) But there is most definitely some connection. She does seem very lonely and I like her with Kvothe. I wonder what happens to her, she not in the picture when he tells the story as far as I can tell. And do you think the story will pick up from the time he tells it in the third book?

Yeah, something bad must have happened between Denna and Kvothe somewhere in the story, which is why Denna and Kvothe are not together in the present....do you think Denna may not be alive? :D

I know that Kvothe's story will continue into the third book. In the second book I have a feeling that there will be more present day narrative than the first, and his story will finish around the middle of the third book. Then the second half of the third book could be all present day narrative.

What do you think?

I've just finished my re-read! Once again I really enjoyed it, I had forgotten so many things during the middle of the book, I'm going to have to read it again before the second one comes out! I've put all of this under a spoiler cut because I'm not sure what to do with it at the moment, I'll uncover if the rest of the thread gets spoilerific!

I have a couple of questions but mostly I am curious about Master Ash - what was he doing hanging around while the Chandrian are off attacking people? I always wondered whether he could be the one called Cinder? Kvothe describes his face in detail during that chapter so it isn't like he is all in shadow like Haliax (well except his eyes!).

I also want to know who else Bast has been talking to - I'm guessing that the amount of "demonic" creatures coming over the hills is down to him dropping hints all over the place. I'm wondering if a larger enemy will be the next thing to step over the threshold at the Waystone?

Finally, I wonder whether Ambrose will play any role other than within the university. Will he continue to cause Kvothe problems when he gets expelled?

I got an e-reader yesterday and was looking for a book to buy as an experiment to see how it all worked, so I got this one. So much for willpower :D

Might be a while before I actually read it, though.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Smashing book! I very much enjoyed this one, and bought the next instalment on my Kindle today. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good clever story :smile:

Bumping for the general awesomeness of the book :readingtwo:

• 1 year later...

I've just finished reading this book for the first time, and have to say I really wish I'd read it sooner. I enjoyed it so much that I thought I'd have a go at writing a review; and then I enjoyed writing the review so much that I started a blog! Anyway, here's my review:

Review: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Name of the Wind is the debut novel of American fantasy writer Patrick Rothfuss. It’s the first in a projected trilogy of fantasy novels known as The Kingkiller Chronicle, wherein each book represents one day of autobiographical first-person storytelling by the main character, Kvothe.

This first instalment of the trilogy follows Kvothe’s early life, beginning with his childhood amongst the Edema Ruh travelling performers, including his mother, father and mentor, Abenthy, who first introduces him to the world of the arcane. This idyllic life cannot last, however, and a devastating event plunges the young Kvothe into a life of hardship in which he is forced to use the only tools he has at hand – mainly his wits and the skills he learned as a child – to survive. During the course of the tale we find out the truth behind some of the legends that have come to surround him – for example, how he earned the nickname ‘Kvothe the Bloodless’ – and witness the first stage of his development: from gifted child to self-reliant university student.

Let me start by saying that this book has everything I look for in a fantasy novel:  an entertaining narrative voice, a well-built world with a wonderfully extensive lore, and an original magic system, as well as a generous mixture of humour, action, intrigue, rivalry and tragedy. At the centre of it all, however, are the incredible characters; and chief among them is our rebellious flame-haired protagonist, Kvothe.

My first impression of Kvothe was based solely on the extract given as part of the blurb:

‘I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.’

Although intriguing, these accomplishments are not why the reader comes to admire Kvothe. The everyday obstacles he continually has to overcome as part of life – usually his age, lack of money, or talent for acquiring spiteful rivals – serve to make him a much more sympathetic character than ‘heroes’ from other tales. We are given the impression that although, with the right resources, Kvothe would probably have become the most powerful man alive, his lack of these resources means that he grows and develops more as a character. It also means that we as readers celebrate his achievements – however small – all the more because he has not only worked hard for them, but needs them in order to survive.

Kvothe is an immensely likeable protagonist; and even though it’s clear he is something of a child prodigy, he is never quite as annoyingly precocious as you might expect. The author has shaped his voice to be dry and humorous, as well as frequently poignant and moving; and it is always, always entertaining. We are regularly reminded that Kvothe spent much of his childhood amongst travelling performers: much of the prose is very poetic, often self-consciously so. For example, our protagonist preludes his tale with the following words:

“Do not presume to change a word of what I say. If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray, remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way.”

It’s not just the occasional rhyme that makes the language entertaining. The descriptions of Kvothe’s music are beautiful and often genuinely moving, and serve as a reminder of the character’s sensitivity in spite of his otherwise self-assured and over-confident demeanour. I really came to empathise with Kvothe, particularly during the moments of tension in his story: I found myself with white knuckles and bated breath while he was being interviewed for the university, when he attended his first disciplinary meeting, during his performance at the Eolian . . .

I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed the frame narrative/flashback format of the novel. I had expected the regular interludes to become annoying; however, the easy banter between Kvothe and his mysterious apprentice, Bast, provides pleasant intervals of comic relief, and the events at the inn piqued my curiosity by raising even more  questions that I wanted answers to. These interludes do not detract from the story: they are suitably brief, and serve to gradually build a picture of events that are occurring in the present day, events that I look forward to seeing developed further in the rest of the trilogy.

My rating: 5/5

Favourite character: Kvothe (obviously), although Denna and Elodin come joint-second.

Favourite place: The University: a lovely combination of Pratchett and Rowling, but with its own uniquely dark aspects.

Favourite moment: The draccus. I could see the scene on the hilltop playing out in front of my eyes. :D

I'd love to hear more about everyone else's favourite bits! (But please don't tell me what happens in Wise Man's Fear as I haven't read it yet :giggle2: )

I've read this quite a while ago.  I enjoyed it.  I've currently got Wise Man's Fear the sequel to read.

I'm glad it took me so long to start The Name of the Wind, as it means Wise Man's Fear is now waiting for me instead of me having to wait for it. :D