Looking for a book told from the perspective of a dog

It's a long shot, but it's for my dad who's been looking for this book for a very long time now. It's quite ironic since he's the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to books; you mention a book, and he'll tell you everything about it.

Anyway, he read the book around 1976. It's a story about a professor(?) who, together with his dog, regularly goes to his cabin in the woods to rest and relax. This one time however, he brought his young son with him, and everything seemed to go well until suddenly his dog attacked the boy. He drove away the dog and took his son to the hospital.

The story however, seems to continue with the dog on his journey through the wilderness. It encounters a wild pack of dogs or wolves and despite being rejected, tries to become the alpha dog of the pack. Eventually he succeeds.

Even if you don't know the book, any tips on how to find this book would be appreciated also. It's not anything from Jack London, by the way.

At first I thought I'd read something very similar to this as a child, but I'm pretty sure in the book I'd read the dog was put down at the end so obviously not the same book at all... sorry :D!

At first I thought I'd read something very similar to this as a child, but I'm pretty sure in the book I'd read the dog was put down at the end so obviously not the same book at all... sorry :D!

Care to tell which book it is anyway? :3

Care to tell which book it is anyway?
Alas I can't, as I don't actually remember the title or the author, just the cover and the fact that I cried buckets when I read it:lurker: sorry I couldn't be more helpful.