Ooshie's Reading List 2010

Ooshie

The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry

The story of 99 year old Roseanne, who has been held in a mental hospital since she was a young woman. As the hospital is closing, her psychiatrist has to assess her to decide whether she needs continuing psychiatric care or whether she can be returned to the community, and the book follows the story of her life both from her own memories and from the records that are held in various institutions; there is an interesting twist to the tale towards the end. I found this book a very moving read, and well written, but quite depressing as it deals very much with the inhumanity of ordinary people to someone in need. Having said that, there are some characters who do not fall into this category, and the various strands of the story are tied up well at the end.

Both this and The Crimson Petal and the White - Michel Faber have been in my TBR stack for quite a while. I'll have to organize myself a bit more and get to them.

Thanks for the good review.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a gorgeous edition! I have Possession on the shelf, unread as of yet, but it's only a plain trade paperback. /sigh/ :blush:

Good review Ooshie, my OH read it last year and enjoyed it too.

Definitely a good read, pontalba. What did your OH think of the letters and poems? I am sure someone more "literary" than I am would really enjoy them, but I would have been quite happy without! :blush:

Yes it's on my shelf as well, I must get around to reading it - your review has encouraged me :D I found The Childrens Book a bit daunting, but it was amazingly well written and I do want to read more from her.

Beautiful, beautiful edition, what a treat.

I thoroughly recommend it, Mac, Kidsmum and poppyshake, as I am still thinking about the book days after finishing it. :D

Don't let me put you off the letters and poems, though; I'm absolutely sure lots of people will love them, and I would like to hear what others think of them. It's just me being a literary wuss!

One thing I did find, though - it wasn't a book that I could enjoy just picking up for 5 or 10 minutes, I got much more from it when I was able to give it half an hour or more at a time.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Bored and sleepy on a summer afternoon, Alice falls down a rabbit-hole after following a talking White Rabbit. Landing with a bump after a long, long fall, she finds herself in Wonderland, where animals talk and dance, foods and drinks make her shrink or grow, and nothing makes sense at all.

I had avoided reading Alice for years as I thought I would find it irritating, but had been looking forward to finally reading it for the Reading Group. On starting the book I thought I was going to enjoy it, but very soon it began to annoy me, and I was very, very glad to finish it. I found Alice to be a rude and irritating child, which didn't help! Thankfully, it was a very short book!

I Can See You by Karen Rose

Eve Wilson is only just rejoining society; she had hidden for years after being kidnapped, mutilated and left for dead. As part of her Abnormal Psychology degree, she is involved in a study using an online game and realises that a serial killer is targeting participants in her study. The close friends she thinks of as her family, and new friends she has made connected to the police department, all become involved in a race against time to stop further murders - including Eve's own.

I did quite enjoy this book, but not as much as I had expected to. While I would read another book by Karen Rose if someone gave it to me I don't think I would actually buy another novel by her.

Definitely a good read, pontalba. What did your OH think of the letters and poems? I am sure someone more "literary" than I am would really enjoy them, but I would have been quite happy without! :lol:

He does tend more toward literary fiction, and as far as I can tell enjoyed it, but found it a bit slow [which he likes]. I asked him what he thought of the letters and poems, and from what he said, I think it's a bit of a blur to him at this point. It's been at least a year since he read it I believe.

I seem to recall that he put it down a lot in-between and read other books as well. But we both do that anyhow. But, and I remember this for sure...his impressions didn't make me want to read it immediately, and in fact, I haven't gotten to it yet.

Oh my goodness, that Possession edition is to die for! Beautiful :lol: I wants!

After your book cleanse, you would have room for it too! :roll:

I think of it as having a dual purpose, as a book and as a visual work of art! *Hugs book tight and runs away* :hide:

Don't run away with it :roll: Let me have a proper look at it, that's nice, just hand it in gently, I'll take good care of it... :hide:

I should have room for it, but I'm determined not to buy books because I'm saving money for my UK trip next autumn and I just know there'll be plenty of secondhand bookshops, where all the books are in English! That's my idea of heaven :lol:

Shush Kylie!!! :roll:

:friends0:

Where's Argyll, Scotland, exatcly? Maybe I'll come and visit you Ooshie... No ulterior motives, I swear! :lol:

I think you are right, Kylie! ;)

If you make it to Scotland I might let you stroke my book, frankie, but hand it over??? *hyperventilates and hides book at the thought* :hide:

I think you are right, Kylie! :roll:

If you make it to Scotland I might let you stroke my book, frankie, but hand it over??? *hyperventilates and hides book at the thought* :lol:

I now have a mental image of Frankie cradling your book in her arms and cooing to it while she strokes it. :hide:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

The story of 15-year-old Charlie as he finds his way through high school and begins to make sense of growing up as well as his earlier childhood, and his relationships with his friends, family and teacher/mentor.

I hadn't particularly expected to enjoy this book as I didn't think a "coming of age" story would interest me much. However, this was a touching little book which I liked very much. I thought the voice of the main character seemed to belong to a boy younger than 15, but that didn't take much away from my enjoyment of the story. A very touching read.