Q&A / Slumdog Millionaire by Vikas Swarup

Hey everyone, and welcome to my first book circle! :D I'm going to be adding extra discussion questions throughout the month to keep the conversation going, so be sure to keep popping back!

It is assumed that you have read the book before reading posts in this thread, as the discussion might give away crucial points, and the continuous use of spoiler tags might hinder fluent reading of posts.

Synopsis:

A young tiffinboy from Mumbai, Ram Mohammed Thomas, has just got twelve questions correct on a TV quiz-show to win a cool one billion rupees. He is brutally slung in a prison cell on suspicion of cheating. Because how can a kid from the slums know who Shakespeare was, unless he has been pulling a fast one?

In the order of the questions on the show, Ram tells us which jaw-dropping event in his street-kid’s life taught him the answer. From orphanages to brothels, gangsters to beggar-masters, and into the homes of Bollywood’s rich and famous, Slumdog Millionaire is brimming with the chaotic comedy, heart-stopping tragedy, and tear-inducing joyfulness of modern India.

Some basic questions to consider:

1. Who was your favourite character and why?

2. Was there a particular part you enjoyed/disliked more than the rest?

3. Was this the first book you've read in this genre/by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

4. Were there any parts/ideas you struggled with?

5. Overall, was reading the book an enjoyable experience?

More discussion questions:

1. Why does Vikas Swarup choose the name "Ram Mohammad Thomas" for his protagonist? The names represent three different religions -- besides displaying India's diversity, what does this say about Ram Mohammad Thomas as a person?

2. When Ram recounts the story of Father Timothy, he repeatedly refers to himself as an "idiot orphan boy" (pg. 49). Considering how well Father Timothy treats him, why does he describe himself in this manner?

3. Ram has a recurring dream of a tall woman with black hair that obscures her face. At what moments does he have this dream, and why? What does this woman represent? Is she his biological mother? A symbol of hope? Abandonment?

4. In telling Gudiya's story, Ram asks "But what was Gudiya's crime? Simply that she was born a girl and Shantaram was her father?" (pg. 68). Are there other women in this novel who are treated poorly simply because of their sex? Do any female characters not need Ram's protection? How would you describe his relationships with women?

5. Several characters, especially Ram and Salim, are big movie fans. Is there a reason for this? Do films help them escape their frequently dreary lives, is it simply a significant part of their culture, or is there another reason?

6. What are Ram's ambitions in life? Why does he tell Prem Kumar he doesn't know how he's going to spend the billion rupees?

7. Why does Ram turn in Colonel Taylor? Is this retribution for the colonel's spying, his derogatory comments about Indians, or for the way he treats his family? Or does Ram simply want to collect his wages before returning to Mumbai?

Edited by lexiepiper

It's been several years since I read this book and I no longer have it to read again, but I'll try and remember it to join in the discussion. :D

Some basic questions to consider:

I think Ram himself was my favourite, as he seemed such an "everyman" kind of character. I think everyone can relate in at least some small way to him, despite his experiences being more extreme than most of us will ever encounter. I felt for him when he was suffering and cheered him on when he was triumphant.

I can't think of a specific moment at this point. I may come back to this question when I've thought about it a bit. Then again, I may not!

3. Was this the first book you've read in this genre/by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

It was the first I'd read by Vikas Swarup and I would definitely read another. Looking back, I think this was the book that made me decide to explore foreign writers more.

See answer to question #2

I remember thinking this book was a wonderful read. I rated it 8/10 (see my review). When I heard it was being made into a film, I was very excited, but I was bitterly disappointed by Slumdog Millionaire, as they had changed so much of the story as to make it barely recognisable. :lol:

1. Why does Vikas Swarup choose the name "Ram Mohammad Thomas" for his protagonist? The names represent three different religions -- besides displaying India's diversity, what does this say about Ram Mohammad Thomas as a person?

I think it really helps to make the character appeal to multiple audiences. A follower of one religion might find it hard to relate to and like a character of another religion if it is a strong part of his personality. By giving the lead character the multiple religions represented by his full name, Swarup gives him a very wide appeal, not only in touching on all the religions, but also on the confusion caused to individuals by religion, so he also appeals to those of no religion at all. I think Swarup was incredibly clever in this respect. It also goes towards establishing him as a person who could be anyone - an "everyman" as it were.

Laundry Fairy and I really enjoyed everything about Slumdog Millionaire including the song Jai Ho (not the crappy Pussycat Dolls version). So I actually did not want to read this book as I thought it would spoil the film for me. But I need not have worried. Although this book was the seminal material for Slumdog, they are two completely different stories which bear no relation to each other apart from the concept of the gameshow.

The book is more like a lot of linked short stories, and there is a tongue in cheek humour. The style of the stories reminded me strongly of The Talkative Man stories by the great RK Narayan.

I didn't really have a favourite character. Ram seemed too self possessed for a child, too piercing in his insights. But I don't feel he was meant to be realistic.

The episode in the bar with the business man relating the story of his Haitian wife was the bit I enjoyed the most. Also the ending where everything is sewn up nicely (the true identity of Smita etc). This is a very Indian book in this respect, like The God Of Small Things; momentous events happen, everything changes but everything stays the same.

I read lots of books about India. First one by this author.

No

Yes, very enjoyable. It is an easy read because every chapter is a separate episode.

>. Why does Vikas Swarup choose the name "Ram Mohammad Thomas" for his protagonist? The names represent three different religions -- besides displaying India's diversity, what does this say about Ram Mohammad Thomas as a person?<

I think it is that he is a free agent, a dispassionate viewer who sees things clearly, not biased by background/religion. I think that is what VS was aiming at. But also he is 100% Indian, a child of "Mother India".

I was going to join in with this but reading the questions and everybody's answers I realise I don't actually remember much of it (I did read it last year). If I manage to read it again before the end of the month though I'll come back.

Ram was my favourite character but I think the reason for this is because he is the main consistant one throughout other than Salim you don't read much about them. Ram is also a a character anyone can relate to, being very insightful into his life in hindsight.

There was a concept of the book I particularly enjoyed and that was the obvious fact that knowledge does not always mean rich, educated or intelligent. Knowledge is a fact of life.

Yes this is the first book I've read in this genre and by the author doh!

I did think that Ram was a very unlucky person (killing two people, being robbed, etc) and did not like the fact that his lucky coin had two heads.

I did enjoy reading the book much more than I expected, I saw the film before reading the book and I hated the film, so didn't expect to enjoy the book.

I do like the theory that he has these religious connection due to making him more acceptable to different types of people reading the book. However I think it is important to Ram's character like when he prays at all the different places and he learns about all these religions throughout his life.

I read the book after seeing the movie (which I fell head over heels in love with) however as Vodkafan said, apart from the gameshow theme the two are very different so I didn't feel like I was drawing comparisons.

Hmmmm.....I don't think I had a favourite. While I liked individual characters, no single one outshone the rest.

I liked how Prem Kumar turned out to be the 'bad guy'. Having seen the movie first, I wasn't expecting this twist at all. I also liked how the story was structured around the gameshow.

I didn't enjoy how everything was neatly wrapped up at the end.

This is my first time for both author and genre and while I think I would probably try both again, I'm not rushing out to buy anything.

None that I can think of.

I enjoyed it but thought the ending was a bit too neat.

For me, Ram existed in a state of uncertainty, moving around and never really settling. I think his name represents this too as it isn't settled in one religion.

Okay time for another question ~

When Ram recounts the story of Father Timothy, he repeatedly refers to himself as an "idiot orphan boy" (pg. 49). Considering how well Father Timothy treats him, why does he describe himself in this manner?

Also, I was wondering for those who have seen the film, which did you prefer and why?

It's a while since I read the book, so I'm afraid I'm not going to offer much on the specifics, but I will say that I thought the book was far, far better than the film. The film lacked lots of the depth and subtelety of the book, and skirted around so much of the substance - particularly those things that seem more centrally Indian, rather than the things that could be a slum-kid from anywhere on the planet in a fairly normal plotline - that after reading the book it just felt a bit wet and flat.

Although, as I said, it's a long time since I read the book, so can't really add much more, specifically, to the reading circle yet.

>When Ram recounts the story of Father Timothy, he repeatedly refers to himself as an "idiot orphan boy" (pg. 49). Considering how well Father Timothy treats him, why does he describe himself in this manner?<

Not sure sarcasm is the right word; he is playing dumb but obviously sees, hears and knows more.

>Also, I was wondering for those who have seen the film, which did you prefer and why? <

They are completely different and cannot be compared at all in my opinion. None of the episodes are the same, there is no Smita, he is not abandoned by his mother and is a muslim in the film. I like both. But Slumdog is not Q&A.

Okay time for another question ~

When Ram recounts the story of Father Timothy, he repeatedly refers to himself as an "idiot orphan boy" (pg. 49). Considering how well Father Timothy treats him, why does he describe himself in this manner?

Also, I was wondering for those who have seen the film, which did you prefer and why?

I'm not sure. Maybe he feels inferior and refers to himself as "idiot orphan boy" because of this. I loved Father Timothy.

I think I'm in the minority here but I prefered the movie. Probably because I'm a closet romantic :D

I think I'm in the minority here but I prefered the movie. Probably because I'm a closet romantic :D

Laundry Fairy and I loved the movie too Nicola. Fantastic atmosphere in the cimema. I don't think the book as written would have made a good film. They are from the same litter but are different cats.

My favourite character was probably Salim, because he didn't seem to bear a grudge that Neelima Kumari chose Ram as her servant instead of him, or that Ram hadn't tried to find him on his return to Mumbai.

I enjoyed pretty much the whole book so it is hard to pick out a bit I enjoyed most, but I did very much enjoy Salim giving Babu Pillai's details to the contract killer!

I have read other novels set in India, although they have tended to be more historical fiction (The Far Pavilions, A Passage To India etc). I haven't read anything else set in modern India that I can remember, and while I might not seek them out in future, if they came my way I would be more likely to read them. I would definitely read another novel by Vikas Swarup.

I always find reading about children suffering or being rejected a bit upsetting.

Very much so.

Why does Vikas Swarup choose the name "Ram Mohammad Thomas" for his protagonist? The names represent three different religions -- besides displaying India's diversity, what does this say about Ram Mohammad Thomas as a person?

I think that if the author had fixed Ram as being part of one religion, it would have changed the book as Ram would have had to have seen all his experiences through that filter, whereas being free from that made him able to have a more open outlook.

I think he begins to refer to himself in that way after Father John Little calls him that a few days after Ram spills soup on him while trying to serve him (page 58 in my edition).

I purposely didn't go and see the film because I had heard it had torture in it and that didn't appeal to me.

Edited by Ooshie

Question number 3 ~

Ram has a recurring dream of a tall woman with black hair that obscures her face. At what moments does he have this dream, and why? What does this woman represent? Is she his biological mother? A symbol of hope? Abandonment?

Question number 3 ~

Ram has a recurring dream of a tall woman with black hair that obscures her face. At what moments does he have this dream, and why? What does this woman represent? Is she his biological mother? A symbol of hope? Abandonment?

To be honest I never liked those recurring dream bits. They just seemed a meaningless filler in my opinion, the dream changed to reflect the events happening in each story. Very UNdreamlike. Sorry. But that's just my opinion, somebody else may come up with something better?

I thought they were a bit random too, but I think it reflects his longing to know who his real mother is, I also think he needs to think she was some beautiful woman who was forced to abandoned him, rather than face up to the fact that he just wasn't wanted.

I thought they were a bit random too, but I think it reflects his longing to know who his real mother is, I also think he needs to think she was some beautiful woman who was forced to abandoned him, rather than face up to the fact that he just wasn't wanted.

I am sure you have it right Lexie. I know this is digressing, but have you seen the film Antwone Fisher? It is the directorial debut of Denzel Washington. The orphan hero seeks his family and has an emotional reunion with the mother who abandoned him. These scenes alone are worth watching the film for.

Question number 3 ~

I think she's his biological Mother and represents his desire to belong. That's my two penny's worth :D

I agree, I think the woman is an idealisation of his biological mother, and reflects his longing for her (which I think is probably to be expected by someone who is still very young and was abandoned as a baby).

Like vodkafan I think that it was a bit unrealistic that the details of the dream always changed to reflect what was going on in his life, but I suppose if you think about the story the way his life experiences gave him the answers to all the questions and the way everything tied up with no loose ends at the end of the book was pretty unrealistic, too.

I admit I just treated it as an enjoyable book when I read it and didn't bother too much about the realism of the storyline! :D

4. In telling Gudiya's story, Ram asks "But what was Gudiya's crime? Simply that she was born a girl and Shantaram was her father?" (pg. 68). Are there other women in this novel who are treated poorly simply because of their sex? Do any female characters not need Ram's protection? How would you describe his relationships with women?

Nita is the first who comes to mind as suffering solely due to being female, pimped by her brother to earn money for her family, with her virginity sold off to the highest bidder when she was 12.

Also Neelima Kumari, although a successful actress, is seriously assaulted by her lover and also suffers torments as she ages and loses her beauty, finally committing suicide. While being abused by a partner and being distressed at the loss of youth are not only female problems (my brother was frequently physically assaulted, threatened with knives etc by his ex-wife), it seems to me that they are problems more common to women than men - although I stand to be corrected!

I don't remember Mrs Taylor (the Colonel's wife) or Swapna Devi (Shankar's mother) needing protection by Ram.

In general, I think I would say that Ram tended to idealise women. I need to think a bit more about that question, though. :lol:

When Ram recounts the story of Father Timothy, he repeatedly refers to himself as an "idiot orphan boy" (pg. 49). Considering how well Father Timothy treats him, why does he describe himself in this manner?<

I think this is just him remembering how he feels and when you look back at certain aspects of your life you see how at the time you were being stupid etc.

The recurring dream I didn't really like much either but I guess it is the constant need to know where you come from.

I think my favourite character was Salim. He was a constant companion and even when Ram left him he was forgiving when he came back and was always a friend. Alongside that, whatever corruption he saw, his dreams and his ideals were not shattered. He pursued him dream and saw victory.

There were two parts I disliked: the scene with the prostitute in hospital is the first one. Ram really wanted to save her and love her but due to her brother he couldn't do that. He was blamed for what someone else did to her and it made me sad that his good intentions were wasted. The second part I disliked was the orphan kids who were maimed to make money. I thought that was just horrible.

I really liked the description of the Taj Mahal however. How the building takes on different characters throughout the day and how it looked in the moonlight when Ram was told he was loved. It sounded breathtaking and was just wonderful to read.

This is not the first book in this genre I have read. It reminded me of White Tiger, which I also enjoyed. I found it fascinating genre - learning about other cultures: the poverty, the triumphs and the politics.

I think for me, the coincidences which led him to know all the answers seemed unreal to me but it did make for a good read. I struggled a bit with the names and I sometimes didn't know where I was in his lifetime and how old he was.

Yes it was. I enjoyed this book and didn't find it a hard read. I would recommend this to others and I definitely preferred the book to the film.

3/5

5. Several characters, especially Ram and Salim, are big movie fans. Is there a reason for this? Do films help them escape their frequently dreary lives, is it simply a significant part of their culture, or is there another reason?