Another title I can't remember!

When I was at school I remember reading a series of books which I allways thought was called "The Last Legionnaire" but have never been able to locate. The story was about a planet of Legionnaires, basically the galaxy's elite police force, that gets wiped out by a warlord leaving one survivor who is rescued by some scientists. These scientist replace his bones with an indestructable metel and send him off to fight the warlord. I remeber the main character had a lizard-bird helper who was telepathic and one of the books was about him infiltrating a tower, but thats about it! Please help if anyone knows what books I am talking about

I've read one or two of the Deathstalkers and yes they are very good books, but still not one i'm looking for! its frustrating as i've been doing web searchers, typing in as much as i can remeber and its either pointing me to 'the last legion' series or books about the foreign legion!